Getting fed up. SmartThings gets worse and worse (July 2021)

I see the STHM security mode there.

The “location mode” can be viewed by tapping on the house icon in the upper left of all screens. Then tap “Manage Locations” and tap the card for your location.

Someone said only iOS has the home icon but android does not :slight_smile:

My devices are Android.

Google Pixel 4a phone and Samsung Tab S5e tablet. Both running Android 11 and the latest version of the SmartThings app.

No clue… just weird that someone pointed out I was wrong a few weeks back when I said to click on the Home icon and they said it was not available in the new android app 🤷

1 Like

SmartThings has two different kinds of modes.

Security.modes are used with smartthings Home Monitor. The values are now Arm (away), Arm (Stay) and Disarmed.

Location.modes are used in automations as a “behavioral filter.“ When you first set up a smartthings account, the values are Home, Away, and Night. But you can add more location that modes if you want. For example, many people add Guest mode or Vacation mode or even Party mode. Your choice.

Location.modes don’t do anything by themselves. You have to create automations to set them and then act on those settings. :sunglasses:

Location.mode is not shown under the LIFE tab, but Security.mode is.

You have to drill down a couple of levels from the main menu to find location.mode, I’m not sure why, it’s useful information.

1 Like

I’m with you. Samsung is more interested in adding new but rarely needed features such as integration with their smart appliances (oven for example) instead of fixing known bugs!

Fed up and frustrated users can’t get reliable basics.

Why are all my sunrise sunset time based automations suddenly stopped working?

Why are all my zigbee devices suddenly disconnected and I had to physically reconnect them?

I don’t know what to do. I got 3 WiFi hubs invested with over 50 devices and countless automations and scenes. There are many occasions I was about to abandon SmartThings and willing to move to another platform.

2 Likes

Please email support from link here about automations not working, I just did. https://support.smartthings.com/

Edit: They got back to me and said they will investigate with my account permission.

1 Like

There is a home icon alongside a curiously inert location name on all the pages that use the new UI. So not the menu page It, not device details, not automations. It only ever handles the same location related stuff.

2 Likes

“Samsung is more interested in adding new but rarely needed features such as integration with their smart appliances (oven for example) instead of fixing known bugs!”

Haha! I forgot about this one. Yes while trying to figure out why my gradual ramp up was no longer working, I was presented with the option to add a smart app to curate custom recipes to use with my smart stove.

so bizarre and ridiculous. I always make this joke about toilets in the future that will twitter #1 or #2 and weight volume etc when flushed.

I think Samsung actually thinks this is the right direction. Great now they are going to make it and add a BM tracker smart app that integrates with the custom recipe suggestion app to improve BM quality.

Meanwhile I still cant find the settings to get my lights working right again.

I have done that in the past. And support told me they only support US customers and I need to contact Australian Samsung support. Australian has literally no support for SmartThings and no one bother getting back to me at all…

Just got off the phone with support b/c my basic porch light automation isn’t working. Turn the smart switch on, bulbs supposed to dim and lower color temp. They do it for a few seconds then revert to daylight. What a joke. Never had these issues in the past when we had things like smart lighting, webcore, etc. SmartThings is dying and it’s b/c it’s only getting worse and worse. Time to replace it all with ring, the company that’s focused on security cameras and alarms which are mission critical - something SmartThings doesn’t seem to care about.

surprisingly it worked for me for past 2-3 weeks with no major issues. perhaps they did not begin messing my system yet with these edge drivers

1 Like

I’ve had SmartThings since 2016 and experienced the decline over the years. Whoever is making these major decisions such as just wiping out the apps and ditching 3rd party integrations don’t seem to care about their early customers. The most important thing about a smart home system is reliability and consistency. Perhaps they need to listen to what their customers are complaining about: https://www.reddit.com/r/Hubitat/comments/s2l7eo/considering_moving_from_smartthings_to_hubitat/

I ordered a hubitat last night and started looking into home assistant. There are better options out there that don’t rely on the cloud which seems to be the major issue with SmartThings. As hacking attacks increase, I no longer trust having my smart home information stored on the cloud.

3 Likes

Same here, after years of creating my smart home I am done with the lacking support and debatable stability. It is been a week that all my zigbee lights are all out. I spent years building my smart home especially to help a disable family member living a more comfortable life and now I am forced to migrate everything to hubitat. The attitude and condescending answer received from the customer care rep concluded my experience.

I don’t mean to come in and sound like a jerk or anything, but I am actually pretty happy about the changes that have been made. The only part that is bothering me a bit is their decision to use Lua language for the new drivers. I was okay at interpreting groovy/java.

Per the Lua website, “Lua is easy”! And “if you have prior programming experience Lua will be no problem”. I’m actually moderately proficient in C++ and have done some projects in a handful of other languages. I open a driver file though, and sorry but Lua looks like pure gibberish. Great.

If your devices aren’t working after the migration, it is likely that something else is wrong. All of the existing drivers were ported over. Perhaps you at some point assigned a custom unsupported Device handler to you lights in the old IDE? Maybe the migration failed in you account for some reason and Samsung can help through support. I really don’t know without knowing models of devices, etc. But I can tell you that ZigBee and z wave devices including lights and all of the other 5-10 device types that ported over for me are working perfectly.

I’m also quite happy after understanding the model a bit to see that it is true local execution. I find it odd that this migration has made you want to move to hubitat, when it’s whole advantage was local execution.

I’m disappointed in the choice of Lua, but I understand since there is not a lot of memory in the hub for a runtime environment. I just wish they could’ve fit a tiny version of python or something more widely used.

2 Likes

Except that this migration eliminated the cloud. Drivers run locally now…

Lua is widely used for embedded code on hardware devices, precisely because it is tiny. I think it was a sensible choice for what they were trying to do given the hardware limitations of the existing hubs. It’s also very popular in gaming, again because it’s tiny. Both Roblox and Angry Birds use Lua. Venmo was also written in Lua so it would run well on mobile devices.

Coding Academy calls it “wildly popular” and offers a free course:

That said, just as with groovy, smartthings has added its own spin and limitations so it’s not enough to just know Lua. But I do think from an industry standpoint it was a reasonable choice. :thinking:

Reasonable? Yes. The right choice? Not for me. I find the Lua hype to be little more than propaganda. It is a niche language and not as easy as they make it sound to transition to. I’m sure I can learn it, I’m just not really sure it is worth my time.

I also find their developers documentation lacking. For example, I was working on trying to make some repairs to an existing “converted” community driver about a week ago. The issue with the driver was that it was sending light color in Hue format, but the device was expecting RGB format. After searching some similar projects, I found one that corrected this by using a converter that was part of a (library?class? Lua confusion) called like this:

local utils = require(“st.utils”)

I can’t for the life of me find any doc mentioning this st.utils library or what other functions it contains, but seems kinda important…

https://developer.smartthings.com/docs/edge-device-drivers/utils.html

1 Like

That’s strange since I’m still able to access all my devices over the cloud. What about Samsung removing the apps?

The biggest problem I have is when they make these big decisions without customer feedback and not provide a way to opt in / out.

Hubitat has been great and have only a few more devices to move over.