Get Temperature on Weather Station Tile in new v.3 App

I guess this change got lost since it has been 6 months and still no update. Is this change harder than what it looks? Can we please get a status on the change?

It’s just such a pain to have to click on the tile to see the temp when in the Classic App it was right on the tile. IMHO this is needs fixed right away in the New App. We want the temperature reading and not the humidity!

looks like it’s still a work in progress. Some changes went in the end of march, but were then reverted.

That commit was interesting, but it doesn’t seems to resolve the tile issue. It adds the custom capabilities for the device, but looks not so clear how it would work with other devices.

1 Like

The Weather Station problem for the v.3 App has been fixed. Instead of the Humidity being displayed on the tile the temperature is now there. Hooray!! I am on Adroid 9 with SmartThings v. 1.7.50-21

The bad news are my other tiles for temperatures/thermostats are still displaying humidity and I don’t see a way to change that. Progress made. Thanks developers. :wink:

1 Like

@Automated_House, it has been re-reverted…

Smart Weather Station Tile Device (add using IDE)

Otherwise, someone should check those UX plugins, the current UV index hasn’t got a working histogram, most possibly due to the bug, when no units used, then the histogram is not populated. (Even that 255 as max value is a bit of overkill for UV Index.)

@Brad_ST, @jody.albritton could you pass this to the UX experts?

1 Like

Phone with Android 9 shows temperature, tablet with Android 7 shows % humidity.

the device plugin on the Android 7 device probably hasn’t updated

So, the re-revert has been done, but I cannot see any update since in the app.

@dckirker, are these custom capabilities working?

capability "stsmartweather.windSpeed" // "Wind Speed" only supports m/s unit, however we want to create both events
    capability "stsmartweather.windDirection"
    capability "stsmartweather.apparentTemperature"
    capability "stsmartweather.astronomicalData"
    capability "stsmartweather.precipitation"
    capability "stsmartweather.ultravioletDescription"
    capability "stsmartweather.weatherAlert"
    capability "stsmartweather.weatherForecast"
    capability "stsmartweather.weatherSummary"  

Or has this project been ditched since the Weather Channel thingy is displayed in the app?

1 Like

Actually it looks like those capabilities are active, but need to add a new device.

Looks like it was the annoying device plugin cache issue. I toggled the assigned DTH back and forth and now it’s updated.

1 Like

@kurtsanders, are you planning to use these custom capabilities for your Ambient Weather integration?

Dear @GSzabados,

First of all, I would have loved to get Ambient Weather Station and all my other ST apps to display all the custom data fields and continue development of my suite of public applications. The new ST mobile interface is a train wreck and a 100 car pile up for it… I don’t see the new UI getting any better anytime soon and the dashboard and tile layout is a step backward with limited display, endless scrolling, hidden actions, a 20 room max, huge wasted space, missing device logging, no SmartApp dependancies list, etc. It is perfect for basic end users that have a handful of motion and light sensors only.

I have literally pulled ALL MY {available} HAIR out trying to patiently learn this unsolvable matrix called ‘custom capabilities’ and the new UI over the past 4 months. The gaps/bugs, holes, totally missing API parts, tricks, removing Echo Speaks, having to add virtual switches for new ‘less functional’ ST Alexa integration, painfully slow device data updates in the UI, annoying device plugin cache issue, etc just too name a few, I could go on for days but it’s not healthy…

As a skilled integration developer for the ST user community, original V1 long time customer, who made it through the painful migration to V2, survived the backend platform instability years, etc, I have decided to focus all my migration work to the HE C7 platform which, IMHO, is 100% easier for development, supports HTML in GUI, works with sharptools.io for dashboard, better logging/debugging, much more robust with; fast local processing (e.g. no cloud, no latency, no delay), has WebCore & Echo Speaks, Z devices work even when the Internet doesn’t, local configuration backups, advanced API connections (e.g. Telnet Interface, Websocket Interface, Raw Socket Interface, MQTT Interface, etc), etc. And if you have seen Hubitat Package Manager, it is excellent for easily distributing and auto updating all the end user applications that are available and being developed. I am back to getting excited with developing on HE instead of disappointed with ST.

My current ST public legacy applications (Ambient Weather, Orbit Bhyve, BitBar, etc) will still work with ST WebCore for accessing all the data but I will not be updating the DTH or app. I am not on board with ST’s direction to ‘roll your own app servers’ and who knows how long ST WebCore has (groovy is going away) or what ST will remove in the new platform, since ST management has their sights on removing end user developed applications that they target as ‘resource intensive’.

I don’t fault SmartThings and Samsung for their company decision to change almost everything that was working perfectly for their base of clients, I just choose a better path for my time and effort and future home automation projects.

5 Likes

There was a bug in the system that powered the Groovy device handlers that was preventing the custom capabilities from working properly, which is why things were nasty for some time. I could have had things working with the new capabilities quickly, but that would have meant ditching the legacy custom attributes, and most certainly breaking support for any SmartApp reading them. :angry: Not acceptable at all. I believe that the issue was resolved just yesterday (I need to verify this on my end). The official device handler will be re-published again shortly (so you shouldn’t need to self-publish). I am also making a tweak to the capability definitions so that null is a valid value for default so that the personal weather station will work again. There is, however, another bug I believe where the new client isn’t showing all of the fields in the device details view.

Yeah, custom capabilities have been a bit of a ride… And so has UI metadata. (Don’t get me started. heh) Not sure it is any consolation, but I have been pulling my hair out as well. lol

1 Like

@dckirker

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but could we expand the Weather tile (or even the weather automation integration) featureset to include air quality and pollen count? I’d like to drive automations based off of both.

Also, can the illuminance be updated more regularly? Mine is updating like 2-3 times PER DAY.

I don’t know whether to laugh my ass off or cry. Actually, I kind of did both when I read this. :woozy_face:
I love the @kurtsanders Ambient Weather Station App and DTH. Saved my butt a year+ ago and kept my rooftop weather station access when the WeatherUnderground API went away. I use it (along with WebCore of course) to open and close blinds, send notifications based upon temp and other stuff.

I’m afraid all the new ST app has done for me so far is automatically find the brand new Samsung TV I purchased the moment I turned it on. I guess that was cool. But not nearly as cool as closing the blinds on my skylights once my weather station tells me there is over 80000 lux of light pounding on them. Okay, now I’m crying again! :cry:

2 Likes

@Levahj,

:rofl: I don’t have any clown tears left to cry and trying to laugh hurts too much each time I launch the new ST mobile client. I silently count to 10 and my mobile dashboard is finally displayed with pages and pages of large icons, circa a 1997 CGA palm pilot. If their new design was meant to confuse & hypnotize the user, the ST design engineers have totally succeeded. And YES, I have moved many of my devices to 20 rooms which is the new weird maximum. This display will shrink as I migrate non working devices to HE.

ezgif-3-97bfb338971e image

1 Like

Hey, I’ve definitely been interested in seeing what can be expanded in the SmartWeather Station Tile. I think my limitations, at the immediate moment, will be what is in The Weather Channel API. I’ve been trying to fix up some goof-ups I made when updating the DTH as well as navigating some odd behavior of the platform and the new client, so I haven’t had a chance to get deep in expanding it.

Regarding illuminance: are you using a personal weather station?

Also… If someone has a personal weather station ID that they would be willing to share with me (you can send it in a private message) it would help with some of the updates.

1 Like

It is also my intention to expand the standard weather capabilities. There are a few other tweaks that I need to make because things are a little broken when using a personal weather station. (The forecast based attributes get set to the string “-”, which is of course not a valid number… That means they won’t work with the attempt I made at using numbers in the capability definition. So, I am going to re-define those attributes as a string to mirror the original DTH definition, and create a new attribute that follows good capability design practices.)

I wasn’t even aware that ST had the ability to add a personal weather station. Doesn’t show up as anything selectable when adding a new device in the app. IAC, it seems to work to a point with mine. I have a Tempest Weather System from weatherflow.com and it’s connected to Weather Underground. Station ID is KFLDEERF49. Neither WU or the ST tile shows all the available info though. Precipitation is blank (we’ve had a ton of rain here today), illuminance is 0. Sunrise, sunset, forecast is empty but those values should be filled in from the hub location or the entered zip code if the PWS doesn’t supply them. My station provides lightning strike data with a radius of about 25 miles. Personally that’s the most important thing to me, and it would be great if you could expose that data in ST.

Data directly from the unit can be obtained with a simple http GET, in the form of a json object. If you’re interested in looking at it, I can send you the api key for my station.

FWIW, I’ve integrated my PWS into ST via Webcore. I have a piston that runs once a minute to check lightning strike data. If lightning is too close, I send an announcement to certain Echo devices to warn us in case one of us is in the pool. Or at least, I used to until ST pulled the plug on Echo Speaks :rage:. Since that no longer works, I’m going to set up a piston to flash the backyard lights when lightning gets too close. At least until Echo Speaks works again. Maybe I’ll flash the pool light too since that’s on a zwave switch.

I got a few replies with PWS IDs. Thank you! Using an ID I realized that the API provides the lat and lon of the PWS and using that I could get the rest of the observations as well as the forecast! Anyway, I am updating the PR that I was working on, and then I’ll follow that at a later date with a PR to add more stuff.

3 Likes