Get ready to make the switch!

Nope - wasn’t dropped. That’s what was holding us up from opening migration to the most complicated tier of users. You can do this through the CLI and custom capabilities/device presentation which abstracts much of the UI metadata generation. We ran into some problems right as we launched migration due to some underlying changes to the device plugin…there was a plugin hotfix late last week and we’re verifying that it got us back to where we need to be with the new functionality. Will keep everyone posted on that thread.

1 Like

Speaking of which, can someone from SmartThings investigate whether this hotfix has anything to do with the new app displaying all temperatures in celsius since last week?

5 Likes

So event history is gone now?

1 Like

You don’t have to - but you will have to change the old ‘phone’ ones after each device gets upgraded. The babysitter situation is unique because the new presentation of the simulated presence sensor does not allow manual control in NewApp - it’s read only from a UI perspective. So you’ll need something - like a v-switch or a webcore piston to set it present or away.

Routines become a combination of Automations (the triggers / if/then) and Scenes. Unlike Routines, WebCore cannot determine if a NewApp Scene has run. What most of us have been doing is create a virtual switch for each scene that falls in this category and add it to the scene that is executed - turning the switch ‘on’ so instead of:
IF Routine X executes THEN…
is now
IF VSwitchX changes to on THEN… Turn Off VSwitchX and … whatever you did before

Basically yes, see this article as it’s how most seem to be doing it.
https://support.actiontiles.com/knowledge-bases/8/articles/8170-how-to-use-new-smartthings-home-monitor-with-actiontiles

Migrate happens once per location. So do yours first (Manually, automatically, or otherwise) then after you’ve done your phone and then done the dance of replacing your old presence sensor with the newapp equivalent on your phone, login to newapp on her phone and do the presence sensor dance there too. Wash Rinse Repeat.

If you do the migration from SHM to STHM yourself, yes, make sure you clear any notices and remove all the sensors yourself. If you’re going to use the migration tool - it will do this for you.

And IMHO if you do the migration manually by yourself by transitioning the routines, scenes, SHM>STHM and Smart Locks to SmartLocks Guest Access I’d STILL run the migration routine after your done because it seems to permanently mark your location as done, and you wouldn’t want to have your location be out of spec later when you can’t get back into classic and run migration after you’ve uninstalled it and can no longer install it.

4 Likes

@David_Van Correct. See Item #2:

Yes, as of today the useful event history is being turned off and replaced with the not-useful version as shown in the comparison images:

3 Likes

Wow, many thanks for taking the time to reply @nathancu - but my word, I can’t believe what I’m reading and the fact I’m going to be forced into this… :disappointed:

This is a ton of work to fix around my job and family within such a short timescale and for what? Oh yes, the joy of half my devices not responding properly, both of my Samsung Smartcams dying with Smartthings and being lumbered with a significantly less flexible system.

What an utter shower this entire ‘migration’ is…

Samsung should at least push the timescales back into 2021, particularly considering the COVID crisis at the moment, I genuinely can’t think of a worse time to force this onto people (when we’re all relying on our smart homes more than ever), and I can’t believe no-one at Samsung has stood up and said “hang on everyone, perhaps this isn’t the best time to enforce such a dramatic change on our user base?” Honestly… :persevere:

5 Likes

I’m on Classic 2.17 and seemingly it still works, I’m avoiding upgrading the old classic app until I have to for exactly this type of reason - Samsung 's last couple of updates have basically been designed to force you away from the Classic app by fair means or foul…

3 Likes

History is still working for me on both 2.17 and 2.19 of the Classic App (I checked when I saw his post). I suspect it’s a back-end change rolling out and it will affect both when it gets applied to your account.

3 Likes

Ugh, more good news… This is just getting tiresome now.

3 Likes

Same. I just noticed it still works on devices but not rooms

1 Like

I could not get presence to work on my wife’s iPhone when I updated her to the new app. It would show up as a presence device in the IDE and webcore, but even when home it just always showed her away. I made her a separate account initially linked to mine as a member. The only way I could get her presence working was to just login to her app under my main Samsung account. Anyone else had that issue? I thought I read about it in another post but didn’t see a solution other then use a single account on both phones.

1 Like

Quick question. That sample you posted looks awesome. Is that webcore it looks so simple to use. I’ve been looking for a easy to use language to program my smart home.
Thanks

Adding the ability to control STHM via scenes is a must. After many hours I am mostly done with my painful migration, but this is one huge gap.

1 Like

Hi Blake,

quick question: I am on the EU server and my migration got completely bombed (more than half of the devices gone, extra locations that dont exist etc.) I am have sent three tickets through the app and am being ignored for almost a week now while my house is uncontrollable and due to a full time job I dont really have the time (and ambition) to repair and set everything up from scratch.

I emailed your support team but they said they only do US. Is there ANY way for ANYONE at smartthings to clean up the mess at my house please?

Thanks

1 Like

I get this every time. ‘Sorry I see you’re on the EU shard, that’s not us’ despite every ST communication having ‘support@smartthings.com’ as your contact point for questions.

1 Like

I wonder what they’d say to me? My Samsung accounts are UK, my hubs are UK, my apps are UK, I’m in the UK, my IP addresses identify as being in the UK, but my account is on the original NA01 (graph.api …) shard. Another account that I added to SmartThings this year, which is also a UK Samsung account, was placed on NA04.

It really is a serious problem though. In the UK, if you go the app the ‘Call Customer Service’ button announces that “‘Contact Numbers’ is not available for this service” which I think is an attempt to say that there isn’t a phone number. It is possible one of the multitude of ‘Ask question’ or ‘Error reports’ options actually goes to SmartThings, but the rest just get dumped into Samsung support mailboxes. It isn’t necessarily the last you see of them, as if you wander lost around the Samsung account website you sometimes come across your messages gathering dust several months on.

If you do come across the right page on the website you will be told there isn’t an online chat option but they do admit to an e-mail address. This does get you a ticket. However the turn around time is currently over a month (which actually is still quicker than it was when I had to contact them a couple of years back). Not only can you not get urgent assistance, there isn’t even a way to simply report faults.

It is often suggested that management take note of feature requests and issues submitted via support when establishing priorities. Not something we can do …

1 Like

Exactly and never has this been such an issue as it is now with this awful migration experience.

1 Like

New wiki FAQ. (The topic title is a clickable link.)

5 Likes

Well, I started making changes and just ran into all sorts of weirdness so I was trying to undo things and then ran into trouble doing any of that and things were bound together but yet I couldn’t get rid of any of them. Was really frustrated. Sooo… I deleted everything it would let me delete and then hit the reset on the SmartThings Hub and just started 100% over from scratch. I have to say that I have half the number of devices in there as I didn’t use many and since I’ve done it, I’ve just had a lot better experience. It took a day to do and that included trying to delete stuff the right way and getting frustrated. I know that may not be a good thing you want to hear but it may be worth it in the end instead of fighting everything along the way. Just rip the bandaid off, start over from scratch, and everything will be clean and pretty. I’m glad I did it now that I’m done.