Updates to the SmartThings Platform

not sure if this is the intent of the post but i migrated and i have a few automation’s which seem to work but i don’t see them under automation’s.

example - at sunset turn off porch and driveway light.
2 - turn on one switch that fires another switch.

both work but i no longer see where to view or change these.

sorry found it in my smartapps!

Doubtful…

True, but that’s a clunky way of getting to see that. There is so much wasted space in the new app that there’s plenty of room to show it on the main page (dashboard view) without having to navigate around - especially with a slow new app.

5 Likes

Neither of those show the SAs used by a specific device.

4 Likes

It looks like Alexa routines currently do not support triggering based on switch capability - only on motion or open/close contact. That said, I can still work with that for now at least by using a custom DTH that combines switch and contact capabilities like this one - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bjpierron/SmartThings-Alexa/master/devicetypes/bjpierron/simulated-alexa-switch.src/simulated-alexa-switch.groovy

Yes, you can you not see what SmartApps are using a specific device. Not only that, but in the history view you can’t tell what SmartApp acted upon the device. It makes it impossible to figure out what turned on a lamp when you have multiple SmartLighting rules that can act on it.

E.g., this light can be turned on by motion or by the door opening. The Classic app shows the SmartApp (motion or door opens) and show the commands (on, setlevel, etc). The new app hides all the helpful details.

(and as I’ve noted before, the history view in the Classic app kept the date it was showing at the top (“Today” in the screenshot); the new app doesn’t!)

7 Likes

This is what happened to me and it took me a few days to figure it out. I no longer have a “Home” location because of it… I had to change the name of the new one to something else. I still don’t really even KNOW how I got everything working correctly. :rofl: Some kind of warning/documentation at the time would have been a big help.

1 Like

It looks like you can still get history of what acted on a device in the IDE, at least, for now…

This sounds bad. Really bad. That and losing IDE access.

2 Likes

I mostly use Smart Lighting, but also SHM routines/functions/actions.

Part of the problem is I set most of this stuff up a long time ago, and it has been bulletproof since then. Any notes that I made at the time are useless because so much has changed, and the migration did a half-assed job.

Using Menu > SmartApps requires me to remember (or figure out) which SmartApp I need to modify. My usual process is “I know lamp abc behaves exactly how I want new lamp xyz to work” and so I go to lamp abc, click the SmartApps column and find the appropriate SmartApp to add lamp xyz to.

Thanks for the pointer to Menu > Settings > Linked services. Should I be worried that Amazon Alexa (the one I replaced this morning) is shown under “All locations” while Life360 (Connect) (I have not updated this yet) is shown in a separate section under “Condo” (the name of my one and only hub)? Maybe I need to remove and re-add Life360.

No need to worry. I would not change anything

Thanks, I’ll worry about other stuff :grinning:

Yes, I’m aware that they don’t work with switches and that you need the dual capability device. (I’m the one who wrote the community FAQ about it. :sunglasses:)

However, unfortunately multiple people have reported in the forum in the last few weeks that that exact DTH is no longer working to trigger Amazon routines. Engineering is aware of it and is looking into it.

It’s not everyone, but it is unfortunately quite a few people. These were all virtual devices which have been working just fine up until now and suddenly stopped working. :disappointed_relieved:

Virtual switches (alexa) keep braking

For the Amazon Echo app update/upgrade, would it be wise to first enter the Echo app and remove all devices, disable the old app? Essentially clean the slate before installing and using the new app?
I have read that many users experience multiple instances of some devices/sensors and this seems like a good way to end up with duplicate devices/sensors.

My understanding is that those are lists of SmartApps that subscribe to the devices in the classic Groovy environment. Indeed webCoRE pistons fake subscriptions to the other devices they use just so the piston appears.

While the IDE is still available you can look at the device pages and see the same info.

The ‘new’ app doesn’t operate in the Classic environment and so doesn’t have the access to this legacy information.

Looks like the Logitech Harmony is no longer supported in the new app? Is this correct?

If you have set it up in the Classic app, it still works in the new app.

It was available to install in the new app for a period but was removed at some point this spring. Who knows, it may return .

4 Likes

Ah ok, thanks.

I just tried editing my devices for webcore in the new app, and tried to create a new SmartLighting automation within that SmartApp. both gave me errors and crashed out to the home screen. i’m unable to delete the incomplete SmartLighting automation too.

two new app failures in a row like that give me little confidence in an app migration

What was the error message?

There is a known bug when adding devices in webcore in the new app…

when adding devices, the done button appears on the first screen then next and next but then you will see Cancel, Cancel, Discard. Yes, it is a bug but the devices you select are saved even though you selected Cancel, Cancel, Discard. go figure!

1 Like