Gender Reveal Routine? Ideas Needed

I’m looking for ideas/input on an idea that I had for a gender reveal. My wife and I are having a gender reveal party for our immediate family in a couple weeks and I just bought some Sylvania RGBW bulbs for the reveal. I put them in the pendants above our kitchen island. We also have a smart switch for can lights and under cabinet lights in the kitchen as well as a fan/light combo in the living room, a lamp, and control of the TV through Harmony. My thought was to set up an Alexa routine that flashes the lights and maybe changes the bulb colors a few times before ending on either pink or blue and having Alexa say the gender. Thoughts/inputs as to the best way to implement this?

A couple of people have done project reports for this use case. It’s typically just a matter of having the bulbs turn pink or blue.

The following one was particularly cute, I think, and used two light strips on a white Christmas tree. There’s a video so you can see the full effect. You can use the same idea but just use two different light fixtures. I especially like the way the effect is presented in this project because the lights are blinked between the two colors for one minute before settling on the final result. I think that builds the suspense and also gets people’s attention focused on the reveal device before it happens, so they don’t miss it. . :sunglasses::tada:.

I also like your idea of having an echo announcement, which wasn’t possible at the time that project was done. I might add a little music first, again just to let people focus on the announcement device before it happens.

And congratulations to whoever is expecting the baby!

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I believe I did see the one you’re referring to. The Sylvania bulbs I just got are RGBW bulbs so I should be able to flash those back and forth between colors before settling on the genders color, or at least that was my goal. I was debating between music, if I can find a good fitting song, and a drum roll.

Drum roll works, too. :sunglasses:

Don’t do it during the days when ST rolls out updates :wink:

1 Like

Days that end with a “y”?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m waiting for SmartThings to go down for some reason right when I want to do it.

1 Like

Started playing with this in routines in the Alexa app and am realizing everything triggers way to fast. Any idea on how to slow things down? Like how to put a couple second delay between each action? It appears Amazon let’s you add delays but 1 min is the minimum amount of time. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Routines in the Alexa app have a Wait action.

Yeah, sorry, I called it a delay but technically it’s called wait. However, the minimum wait time is 1 minute and I want something in the 5 second range. My thought is to set up several scenes with varying color to the lights and blink between the scenes a few times before landing on the gender color. I’m thinking 30-60 seconds worth total to build suspense.

Anyone know if stringify can control SmartThings scenes?

I don’t believe so, but you can create a virtual switch which starts the official smartlighting feature and use that to activate a scene, then just have Stringify turn on the virtual switch.

It’s starting to come together. Lots of trial and error and trouble shooting but I think it’ll be pretty cool. Hoping to get a video of it. Just not sure how I’d post it.

1 Like

Like everybody else, upload the video to YouTube or another sharing site and then post the link. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Here’s a link to the final product:

Not the craziest thing but it really took quite a bit more trouble shooting than I thought to get it to work and everything to time out correctly.
2 Likes