I have a 12724 in my basement and noticed it has gotten warm when on. Yesterday my wife noticed it was very hot after being on for a while, so now I am concerned about it being fire hazard… contacted Jasco support. Anyone else have hot/overheating dimmer switches?
I have eight BR40 75W incandescent bulbs which meets the max rating of 600W for this dimmer switch. I removed a few bulbs for the moment, but will need to get them replaced. I don’t have good luck with CFL or LED bulbs. CFL buzz, turn on slow, or burn out way under there rated lifetime (and probably have excessive mercury from China). The dimmable LED’s I have either buzz or flicker (very annoying) and they are expensive. So… I bought these 8 incandescent bulbs for the basement: they are dimmable to very low levels (for movies), they fill the recessed can light fixture openings, and none of the other issues. Unfortunately there isn’t much selection as far as wattage for BR40, looks like 65W or 75W. Any recommendations? Maybe I can put regular incandescent A19 bulbs in but cover the cans somehow so it looks nicer???
Back to the over-heating, another possible issue is that we have Owens Corning “Basement Finishing System” walls (they are kind of like thick foam cubicle walls, supposed to be mold resistent, in the house when we bought it). Anyway, there is little to no air gap like in a normal 2x4 wood/drywall wall. This is probably holding in any heat from the switch.