GE Z-Wave Switch Stopped Working - Blinking Blue Light on device

Just had my own instance of this, after pulling the master breaker for some work on the panel. May have gotten an inductive kick when reconnecting.

I’m trying the “disconnect, let it sit, maybe it will recover after discharging” black magic first; if that doesn’t do it my plan is to replace the switch, then repair this one for use elsewhere.

This does remind me that, next time I have the panel open, I really should install a whole-house surge suppressor. For mine (Seimans), that’s an easy snap-in operation.

When did you buy the switch? GE/Jasco upped warranty to 5 years. The 17XX models have been very problematic for me and I have gotten new switches each time they fail.

Ordered 2017, manufactured in 2016 (1627 date code). So it’s within 5 years, barely-ish… if they extended the coverage in time to catch this unit (or retroactively).

If they did, can you send me/point me to that announcement? What was the turn-around time on a warranty replacement?

(“Good, easy, cheap. Pick any two.”)

Call Jason customer service, and be prepared to wait on hold. I had my replacement in about a week.

1 Like

No announcement to share, I am just providing my experience. From byjasco.com: To submit a warranty claim, please call Jasco Consumer Care toll free at 800.654.8483

Thanks. Found the paperwork, and the warranty on the instruction sheet says 2 years… but it certainly can’t hurt to call and ask. Didn’t even occur to me that it might still be covered.

I’ve had 4 switches fail in the past 2 months [all purchased between 2018-2019]. The first switch they replaced after emailing a copy of the receipt. The others i had to send to their service center with a copy of the receipt. The turnaround was relatively quick. Mailed on Monday had the replacements by Saturday.

Out of warranty, but they gracefully agreed to replace it anyway after I sent then a copy of my Amazon receipt/purchase order. Didn’t even have to spend much time on hold before speaking to the tech rep; apparently 2PM Eastern Time on a Monday isn’t an overly busy time. A bit of delay while he filled out the paperwork, but at least it’s decent on-hold music if you like classical.

That’s the kind of support that builds repeat business!

2 Likes

Yup, and one of the reasons why every switch, dimmer, several in wall outlets, and wall plugs I own are GE/Jasco.

1 Like

I finally had an in-wall outlet (Zwave Plus) go pear-shaped recently. Jasco replaced it without question. And now I have a further two switches that have joined the others in Zwave heaven so I’m about to call Jasco again. Both those went belly-up after a power cycle for maintenance I was doing.

This past weekend I installed a whole home SPD. Hopefully that will help going forward assuming it’s spikes that are frying these.

1 Like

I installed 4 GE Z-Wave switches in April 2019. After several power hits in April 2021, one went to blinking blue light. After much testing, removing, trying to reinstall, etc., I finally contacted Jasco and they replaced it with a newer model. About a week ago, after numerous power hits from strong thunderstorms, a second one showed “offline” and went to blinking blue light. Again, did all the prescribed procedures to re-engage it to do avail. Contacted Jasco and a replacement is on the way. I do have a whole-home surge protector, so don’t suspect surge spikes. Seems it might be the rapid on-off power blips.

Whole house surge arrestors do not eliminate surges they just minimize the power of the surge. And the quality of the surge arrestors affects how effective they are.

There are 2 ratings that are important. 1) Clamping voltage which you want as low as possible and 2) energy absorbed which is rated in Joules and the higher the better. If nothing else in you house was damaged it worked well.

You should also have individual surge arrestors at valuable electric equipment in addition to your whole house surge arrestor.

The older Jasco switches are very sensitive to surge damage. I have lost them by flipping a breaker on and off to do some electrical work. The good things are Jasco replaces them for free and the new ones are much better.