GE Z Wave 4 Way Switch Setup

I am using 1 x GE Z Wave Smart Switch 12727 and 2 x GE Add On Toggle Switches 12728 in a 4 way setup.

I have installed the switches and currently the Smart Switch and 1 of 2 toggle switches works and toggles the lights off and on. The toggle switch where the original 4 way setup was does not operate the lights. The original setup had two red wires, two white wires and a ground hooked to the switch with two block wires capped off in the back of the box.

Any advice in this setup to get all 3 switches working?

Brett

Can you post pictures of all 3boxes and where your load and line are?

In the 4 way switch location you will need an aux. typically the white wires and red wires will be hooked to the switch. Then depending on your load location, sometimes the black wires are twisted together.

Thanks Michael. I will have to post some pictures when we get back from vacation. What you describe is basically the setup I had initially on the 4 way switch… the white and red wires hooked to the switch and the black wires are twisted and capped off in the back.

Currently, the dummy switch at the 4 way location, is hooked to 2 traveler (red) wires, a ground, and I twisted the white wires together, connected the pigtail provided and hooked it into the neutral.

When you mentioned an aux… do you mean something like this? - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080G4OJO/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=brettwashin05-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0080G4OJO&linkId=a18042b849a11e5ba827e2c79f0ce2c7

Yes that is a Aux switch. That switch could be bad, you should switch it with your other Aux to confirm. Otherwise we need to figure out where your load and line are to make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

So the first picture is the main switch and the second is the aux switch where the original 4 way was. The original 4 way was wired with 2 white wires with black tape on it , 2 red wires and a ground. The main switch and the 3 way at the end of the line both operate the lights just fine. I’ve confirmed that the aux at the 4 way works by hooking it into another box but it does not turn the lights off and on when in the 4 way position.

This is the 4 way aux switch

I am almost positive those white wires are NOT a neutral in your old 4 way switch location which is your problem. When installing smart switches in a 4way setup you often need to “send” the neutral to the other switch locations. So to fix this you need to go to the switch that has the actual line, which honestly is likely NOT the location with your current master given the fact that wire is covered in black tape. I suspect that same wire with tape on it is what you are hooked up to in your former 4 way location.

Without seeing your 3rd box location, here is what I think you should do. Few things to get on the same page:

1. First picture posted with master I will refer to as switch 1
  2. Second picture posted with old 4 way and broken Aux I will refer to as switch 2
  3. Unpictured switch I will refer to as switch 3
  • I suspect your line from breaker is in Switch 3. Look for a 2 wire (really 3 if you include ground) coming into that box, ignore the wire with red, black, and white for now. Turn off breaker, disconnect the black and white wires from switch and any bundled wire nuts, turn back on breaker and test with a multimeter to confirm it has power.
  • If this is indeed the line, then you need to move the master to this location. The next steps assume my assumption is correct and your master is now in Switch 3.
  • Switch 3:
    • Hook up the black wire from your 14-2 wire to line terminal on the master switch
    • Hook up the white wire from this same 14-2 to neutral terminal on the master switch
    • Hook up the white wire from the 14-3 (wire with red, black, and white) to the neutral as well. This will “send” the neutral to the other locations. Remove any tape from this wire.
    • Hook up the red wire from the 14-3 to the traveler terminal on the master switch
    • Hook up the black wire from the 14-3 to the load terminal on the master switch
    • Hook up ground wire to the master switch
  • Switch 2:
    • Bundle both black wires together and put a wire nut on it. Here we are “sending” the load from switch 3 to switch 1.
    • Remove the tape from any white wires.
    • Hook up both white wires to the neutral terminal on the aux switch
    • Hook up both red wire to the traveler terminal on the aux switch
    • Hook up ground wire on the aux switch
  • Switch 1:
    • Bundle both black wires together and put a wire nut on it. Again this is the load coming from Switch 3.
    • Hook up both white wires to the neutral terminal on the aux switch. This will send the neutral to the fixture.
    • Hook up the red wire to the traveler terminal on the aux switch
    • Hook up ground wire on the aux switch

Hopefully my assumptions are correct and this will get you working. Again it is very important to verify the location of your line from breaker is. Good luck! I am happy to address any other questions.

Thanks Michael! I’ll take a look at it in more detail tomorrow. Here’s a picture of the third box.

I believe that black wire hooked to the white wire with tape is your line from breaker.