GE SmartSwitch use as button device?

So, I installed a GE smart switch, this one to be exact in case it makes a difference on my question:

GE12722 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control On/Off Switch

I noticed last night that when I double click either of the buttons (on/off) on the switch it does nothing, but if I single click, then it acts as normal turning the lights on and off.

I feel like, because it does nothing upon double click, that means it is recognizing the double click action, which seems like you should be able to take advantage of that and use the switch as a 2 button remote.

I have a smart outlet in my garage, and this switch is currently wired into some lights outside my garage. I was hoping I could set it up so the double click action works like a button on a remote, and I could use Rule Machine to turn my smart outlet in my garage on and off using the double click action. Is there a way to do this with a custom device handler?

I’m not familiar with Z-Wave device, but I have a good understanding of how Zigbee devices work and their protocol.

Any opinions?

http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/

It’s not in the documentation. There are however a few community apps that work depending on the situation YMMV:

There are some older varients as well.

If you’re looking for a switch that does have this documented capability (only community integration not official)

1 Like