GE Smart Dimmer Switch and Bulbs question

(Marcus) #1

I’m new to Smartthings. I recently installed a GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Lighting Control Smart Dimmer, In-Wall in my home office. I also brought 4 Hyperikon A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb, 9W (60W Equivalent) from Amazon as well to go with the switch. I am very impressed with the Alexa capability; however, when using the switch to dim the bulbs to anything less than 90%, I start to hear a faint buzzing sound coming from the bulbs. I’m guessing the bulbs aren’t really compatible. Can anyone point me in the direction of some compatible bulbs that would eliminate the buzzing I am experiencing? Also, I prefer cool lights 4000K (Daylight Glow) or anything close to pure white. I do not like the yellow tinted lights.

(Mark) #2

I use mostly cree dimmable LED bulbs and haven’t noticed any issues with buzzing. Pretty sure they come in cool white, but I prefer warm white myself.

(Nathan Curtis) #3

Dimmable LEDs don’t guarantee that you will get non buzzing dimmable LEDs. I had to try 5 brands at Lowes before I found ones that didn’t buzz. I found for me that the ones made with miniature LED strips that simulate the old Edison style / filament bulbs are silent. They have the added benefit of looking great. It’s the bulb of choice for all of my ceiling fans… Unfortunately every time I find a soft white LED dimmable bulb at Lowes that doesn’t buzz they seem to switch brands and I have to start the hint all over again. Also just because one size in a certain brand doesn’t buzz, doesn’t mean they all won’t… (I’m looking at YOU Sylvania…)

(Kirk Hilzinger) #4

I have been getting some 60-Watt equivalent LED clear with the LEDs that look like filaments at Home Depot. I also got some 100-Watt equivalent from Menards. They have been working great. Something I would encourage: Look on the box. The boxes should tell you if they are dimmable. Take it home and test one. If they work, great. If not, return it.

(Daniel Ionescu) #5

You should not control them through a dimmer. The dimmer works with dumb bulbs only, not smart bulbs.
Just to verify, replace dimmer with dumb switch (or wire a bulb directly to power) and dim it through ST (or Alexa). Do still get the buzz?

(Marcus) #6

The bulbs are dumb. Not smart

Hyperikon A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb, 9W (60W Equivalent), ENERGY STAR Qualified, 4000K (Daylight Glow), CRI90+, 840 Lumens, Medium Screw Base (E26), UL-Listed, Standard Light Bulb (4 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y9BHS4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Zr5IAb6G8FXFW

(Edward Niedziejko) #7

Unfortunately dimmable doesn’t mean silent. In a total oddity, if I use the wall dimmer to dim my kitchen lights they don’t buzz, but if I use a routine to control the dimmer they do.O_o so best of luck finding quiet ones.

(Daniel Ionescu) #8

I apologize. Misread your post.
Did you contact Hyperikon?
Do you have more of the bulbs you can test?

(Bill Ho) #9

I have various brands dimmable bulbs with GE dimmer and they all work fine without noise. However, I have several bulbs control by each dimmer. I think the dimmer switch has a minimum load of 20W.

(Marcus) #10

I have just sent a message to Hyperikon. Hopefully they can point me to a solution. I’ll keep y’all posted.