GE Portable Smart Motion Sensor problems (DTH in post 40)

Can anyone explain the setting: Basic Set, Notification and Basic Report?

I notice with this device handler (which is awesome jwillaz!) that if there is no motion for like a day - the device shows off-line in Smarthings. However as soon as motion is detected it shows back as normal for a while and then the same thing happens. Doesn’t appear to affect anything - other than just showing as Unavailable if no motion for a while.

thanks

Same issue here. Device is always reporting “Motion”. I updated the DH in the IDE to the one above and the same thing. I did press the button for 1 second after I tried both DH’s. Also tried it with USB and Battery. Anyone able to get this working?

@imd569 I loaded the DH above then went to the Motion Sensor and opened the options (sprocket) changed PIR Timeout Duration to 1. That seems to have cut the “Motion” time down to just over 2 minutes.
This motion sensor seems to detect motion, report motion, then go into the timeout mode. Once the PIR Timeout time passes, it again looks for motion and finds none, then reports no motion. It acts different than other motion sensors I have.
So the short answer to your question is yes, it’s working. The default 4 minute Timeout made me think that I’d purchased a defective motion sensor for several minutes after I began to set it up for use. That’s when I came to this thread.

You can also set it (only in IDE) to 5 sec with param value 255. See if it suits you better.

1 Like

Sorry for the noob question, but I loaded this script as a device handler in IDE, but I still don’t see the settings for adjustments showing up. Do I need to delete the device and reinstall it or something else?

Thank you.

The setting are in the smart thing app. Select the sensor and click the gear in top right. Make your changes and save.

I didn’t have to but others have had to push the button on the sensor for changes to take effect.

I set mine for 1 minute, it was noticeably quicker to reset after that.

I just tried pushing the button and nothing. When I click the gear in the motion detector, I only see a place to rename it and replace/remove buttons at the bottom.

@gsgentry

Make sure you using the right DTH. I believe this is the one. I’m not at my computer to check.

If you install this DTH. Then go to your IDE and edit the device and change the DTH to this new one. It doesn’t change automatically. Then open your mobile app and select the sensor, select the gear and it should look like this.

That’s kinda the reader digest version. If you need more details I should be at my computer this evening.

Hope that helps

Thanks Don… that is obviously my issue. While looking at the motion detector in IDE, I am unclear how I need to select the new device handler. Can you help me out with that one? :slight_smile:

Thanks a million.

Never mind… I kept messing around and figured it out. Thanks for the help!!

1 Like

I saw that mentioned in a previous post and considered using that setting, but wasn’t sure that change might cause undue battery drain. Have you noticed any appreciable battery drain when using that setting? One other question I had about the parameter setting was, since 255 equals 5 seconds, is there a table or some other reference that provide the other parameter settings and the amount of time they equal?
Thanks.

@Luke1

Battery drain increases only if there is lots of motion.

I pasted picture with allowable settings. They are discrete numbers, 1-60 and 255.

I have it in a medium to high traffic area, so I may try the setting for a bit and see how the battery drain goes. It seems that the battery (batteries) hold up pretty well so far.

I saw those parameter settings, but wasn’t sure if there were others between 60 and 255 that correlated with different quantities of time, like 15 sec, 30 sec, etc.
I appreciate your quick responses and knowledge. Thanks.

Ok, after changing the setting to 255 and placing a cup over it to ensure it’s not sensing movement, I believe changing the IDE setting is the equivalent to putting the sensor in test mode. This seems to only last for about 10 minutes then the sensor falls back to it’s default ‘sleep’ time.
Maybe mine’s acting different than others, but I’m back to using 1 for parameterEighteen. which allows the sensor to ‘wake back up’ in about 1 minute.
I appreciate the time you’ve put into messing around with this motion sensor, but I definitely don’t care as much the operation of the GE Motion Sensor (even using this DH, which does make it more usable) as well as some others. At least it seems to be easy on batteries, reliable and allows selection of sensitivity. It can definitely be sensitive.
Thanks again!

In my situation\use ,I can live with 1 minute. It’s only 30 seconds slower than my Iris sensors. The 1 minute is much more bearable than the original default settings.
I have noticed with mine the first detection is a tad slower. After that initial wake up if you walk back it seems more sensitive and quicker to trigger.

Could just be how I have mine set up. Just my opinion.

I picked up 2 of these last week. One on USB power, one on battery.

The battery powered unit seems to be working ok, but has missed some movement. I’m not ready to make a judgement on that just yet since I haven’t examined logs or anything to see why lights weren’t triggered.

The USB powered device has twice now reported “motion” for hours. The timeout is set at 1 minute, so I’m not sure what to make of this.

I’m using the handler mentioned in this thread. Has anyone had the “motion” issue, and resolved it? I assume that this is a result of the unit never sending a “no motion” to the hub (or the hub not receiving it).

Don’t forget to press the button when you change a parameter. Mine’s working pretty well and a friend of mine, that just put his in service, today mentioned that his senses motion about 40’ away.

I did have a hub firmware update today, so perhaps that explains one of the prolonged “motion” states. And if the sensor didn’t accept my setting of 1 minute right away, that could be a problem too. Just now id did correctly go to a “no motion” state and the light turned off fairly quickly. Hopefully tomorrow morning it will still be on talking terms with me. Thanks!

I have a battery powered one that seems to be slow on initial motion sense in the morning. After that it seems a little quicker.

There has been a few instances where I was standing under waiting.
I just took it as a connection issue or it had to wake up after a long period of being asleep.

This morning it did not wake up. The last activity showing in the app was motion at 10:22pm.

It currently shows motion and I imagine it will continue to do so for a while.

I’m going to return this one.