GE/Jasco wall switches stopped functioning remotely this week

Ok everyone…so, I did the unplug the hub-and-repair-the-zwave-three-times dance. No joy. I also pulled the airgap on the switches and did the repair dance again. No good.

I contacted support, and they did make server side changes last week to address the sundown/sunup issue…I pointed them to this thread, and they acknowledged others are having woes… So, we’ll see what happens…

R

This happened to my in wall dimmers/switches a month or so ago. I tried everything mentioned in this thread. But the fix ended up being cycling the circuit breakers for each room.
My switches have been rock solid ever since.
Good luck,
Scott

Oh crap, really @av8rdude ? I’ll give that a try over the weekend

OK everyone. Thanks to everyone here for all the help and suggestions. I have literally tried everything. I’ve also been bugging ST Support, who has apparently given up on this issue. (They stopped responding to me days ago.) Because these switches control lights in my back yard, this is actually a security issue as well as a pest (raccoon) control issue for me - so I need this behavior to change.

These GE Z-Wave switches are simply not functioning. The one that is acting up the most is the one closest to my hub, actually (It’s only about 15 feet away). So, this weekend I’m ripping them all out and putting in Zigbee based switches, like I have in the rest of my house. It is not what I wanted to do with my weekend, and it is an extra expense, but it’s pretty clear that these Z-Wave switches are erratic and do not correctly function.

Thanks again for the help - I’ll let people know how this all worked out on Monday.

Rob

@uberrob So obviously power cycling the breaker didn’t fix your problem. Sorry to hear that. I have a dozen or more GE and Jasco switches/plugs. Some of them were acting weird for a long time. I tried everything including: z-wave repair, remove the switches and re-pair them, etc.
Then I cycled power to all of them and everything starting working perfectly. It could have been a combination of things but they have worked great for a month or two.
Did you try excluding them from your network…powercycle breaker…and then add them back?
Cheers,
Scott

Did you exclude and reinclude? I did that and all was fixed. Thats a lot quicker than the other method if it works.

I did power cycle @av8rdude - no love.

By “exclude” @av8rdude and @ehoffman73 - do you guys mean unregister and delete the switch from ST and then re-establish it as a new switch?

If so, then no - I haven’t done that yet.

Yes, you need to “exclude” the device from your network (exclude is a z-wave feature in the IDE and inside the app). Then power cycle it. I would then reboot my hub. Then add it back like a new item.

@av8rdude and @ehoffman73 - that did it. Took everything out of the app, pulled the devices off of their smartapps, excluded the devices, uninstalled the devices, pulled the gap switch, unplugged the hub, plugged it back in, “repaired” the z-wave network (yes, three times), re-added the devices…

…and they all came back. What a pain, but easier than putting in new switches.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like