GE Ceiling Fan Switch Custom Device Type - Low, Med, High buttons w/no slider!

@NMK95, The link above is the most current, so you’re good to go.

@johnconstantelo Thank you very much. Your device type works great!

1 Like

Thanks @jkchan83, glad to help out!

Works great! Extremely happy :smile: Thanks!

I would like to use a Aeon Minimote to adjust the fan speed. Is that possible?

I am using the Button Controller SmartApp to turn the fan on and off. I was wondering if there was a way to program the button to turn on at a given speed (instead of the last used speed). That way, I could use button 3 for Medium Speed and button 4 for High Speed. (We don’t use low speed.)

Thanks in advance.

It’s possible, and you have a couple options I can think of. The best method would be to create and use a custom version of the Button Controller SmartApp, so you can map a button to call the medSpeed() or highSpeed() commands directly. Since those are custom commands, not generic capabilities; the stock Button Controller app won’t have that ability.

Alternatively, you could assign the Minimote button to trigger a virtual switch, then use a SmartApp like a scene or big switch that fires off that virtual switch to assign the Fan Switch to a dim level of 62 for Medium and/or 99 for High.

Let me know which route you prefer and if you need help putting together the code.

Scott, thanks for the reply. I think that I will try the SmartApp option first. I will report back with any progress and questions. Thanks again.

I have a modified version of Button Controller, called Scene Controller, that will do what you want with the fan. There are two ways to do it. One, there is a Fan Adjust function that uses a single button. Each time you press the button the fan increases speed until it’s on high, then each button push slows it down until it is off. The other way to do it is to just treat the fan like a dimmer. The Scene Controller app allows you to set a dimmer level, so you could program one of the buttons to turn it on to 50%, or whatever.

The source for the app is here:

@bravenel That at worked brilliantly. Thank you very much!

I chose to utilize 3 buttons on the remote for the fan:
Button 2: Fan Off
Button 3: Fan Medium (sent as a dimmer level)
Button 4: Fan High (sent as a dimmer level)

I figured that this solution would be more likely to pass the SAF than multiple keypresses to cycle through the fan speeds (especially with the delay on the Minimote).

The only thing I couldn’t figure out was if there is a way to have Buttons 3 and 4 turn off the fan. When I added the fan under “Toggle this switch” along with the dimmer level, it would turn on, but not turn off. Did I miss something? Or is my setup correct? Thanks again!

If you aren’t using the Minimote for anything else, you could use 1 and 2 for turn-on to medium and high, and 3 and 4 both for off, all of those using “Pressed”. Toggle doesn’t work with anything else, including a dimmer level. So you have to choose one of: On, Off, Toggle, Dim to level.

Remember, there are 4 additional buttons available used “Held” [down for 2 seconds], in addition to the 4 buttons when “Pressed”.

When you toggle a fan, if it’s on it will turn off. If it’s off, it will turn on to its last previous level.

hey @bravenel! Playing mind games…

1. If mode is “home”, do something with the 4 button clicks and helds.
  2. If mode is “night”, do something else with the 4 button clicks and helds.

You get the drift. Right? And then try to sort them in reverse alphabetical order in your mind as to which button does what in whatever mode, or before sunrise, between sunrise and sunset and after sunset… :wink:

I am using Button 1 for a light, so using 3 buttons is great for now. If I add more items to the remote, then I will start using the “button held” options. Thanks again.

That’s strange. I have several Minimotes and they all have pretty much instant response. And, they are all controlling z-wave devices.

You should do a z-wave network repair (IDE My Hub / Utilities). There are a few recent threads about how to do that.

Bruce, I think that I have a “Version 1” Minimote (with numbered buttons). From the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like the delay is a common occurrence with Version 1. I followed the instructions from Aeon to flash the firmware, which improved performance, but there is still a brief (maybe 1 second) delay that you must wait between button presses.

Thanks for the advice on the Z-wave repair. Ran that and it helped other devices, but not the remote.

Finally got to put one of these in myself, and it’s really great! Nice work @johnconstantelo! I wrote this little SmartApp because sometimes we sleep with the fan on and sometimes not; and the light is pretty noticeable in a darkened room. It subscribes to the on/off events and changes the indicator setting, so the light is always off. I wish the “Never Lit” setting worked, but this simulates that option. (I added in a reverse option too in case anyone wants to use it with a Linear brand switch since they seem to have reversed the functionality.)

// Automatically generated. Make future change here.
definition(
    name: "Zwave Switch Indicator Light Manager",
    namespace: "sticks18",
    author: "Scott Gibson",
    description: "Changes the indicator light setting to always be off",
    category: "My Apps",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience%402x.png"
)

preferences {
	section("When these switches are toggled adjust the indicator...") { 
		input "mains", "capability.switch", 
			multiple: true, 
			title: "Switches to fix...", 
			required: true
	}

section("When these switches are toggled adjust the indicator in reverse (useful for Linear brand)...") { 
		input "mains2", "capability.switch", 
			multiple: true, 
			title: "Switches to fix in reverse...", 
			required: true
	}

}

def installed()
{
	subscribe(mains, "switch.on", switchOnHandler)
	subscribe(mains, "switch.off", switchOffHandler)
    subscribe(mains2, "switch.on", switchOnHandler2)
	subscribe(mains2, "switch.off", switchOffHandler2)
}

def updated()
{
	unsubscribe()
	subscribe(mains, "switch.on", switchOnHandler)
	subscribe(mains, "switch.off", switchOffHandler)
    subscribe(mains2, "switch.on", switchOnHandler2)
	subscribe(mains2, "switch.off", switchOffHandler2)
	log.info "subscribed to all of switches events"
}

def switchOffHandler(evt) {
	log.info "switchoffHandler Event: ${evt.value}"
	mains?.indicatorWhenOn()
}

def switchOnHandler(evt) {
	log.info "switchOnHandler Event: ${evt.value}"
	mains?.indicatorWhenOff()
}

def switchOffHandler2(evt) {
	log.info "switchoffHandler2 Event: ${evt.value}"
	mains2?.indicatorWhenOff()
}

def switchOnHandler2(evt) {
	log.info "switchOnHandler2 Event: ${evt.value}"
	mains2?.indicatorWhenOn()
}
2 Likes

Thanks @Sticks18! Thanks for that SmartApp as well, this will come in very handy. My eldest daughter is back home this week from school, and she wanted me to turn those off. Her room has 5 switches, and those GE blue LED’s are pretty bright at night, especially the previous model.

My ceiling fan is an allen+roth with remote. Some posts above mentioned that you can wire the GE Z-Wave switch to the fan remote module, but you will be only allowed to use the light when the fan is on High. I would like to use the light while the fan speed is off. Can I remove the remote completely and control the fan and light with different switches? Below is the current wiring and proposed wiring. Could someone confirm if this might work?

Current Wiring:
On/Off Wall Switch

• In Hot (Black)
  • Out Hot/Load (Black)
    Remote Module
  • In Hot/Load (Black from wall switch)
  • In Neutral (White)
  • Out Motor Hot (Black)
  • Out Motor Neutral (White)
  • Out Light (Blue)
    Fan
  • In Motor Hot (Black)
  • In Motor Neutral (White)
  • In Light (Blue)

Proposed Wiring:
GE Z-Wave Fan Switch

• In Hot (Black)
  • In Neutral (Jumper)
  • Out Hot/Load (Black)
    GE Z-Wave On/Off Light Switch
  • In Hot (Black)
  • In Neutral (Jumper)
  • Out Hot/Load (Red)
    Fan
  • In Motor Hot (Black from GE Fan Switch)
  • In Motor Neutral (White)
  • In Light (Red from GE Light Switch)

This should like it would work. I had a Hunter remote installed similar to how your current set-up looks. I had 2 switches, but one was really a dummy with because the remote box is what was hot and it controlled the light and fan.

I’m having this issue. When I try to add a new dimmer it defaults to a fan controller now. Can anyone give me a little more direction as to how to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Forgot to quote this in my last post… Any more specific help for a someone with zero coding experience? I was actually shocked that I was able to create the new device type :wink: