GE 45600 Handheld Remote as SmartThings Scene Controller (Edited: Does not work!)

Both GE’s pair up to ST and will allow you to manually add zwave devices to them with 3 diff modes and even have all off/on functions (if I recall last time the all off/on worked for all zwave on the hub, whether paired or not with the remote, nice just for this feature. For individual control you have to go around to each device again and hit the button and pair them to a button on the remote.

The Bad - only works with zwave devices, so even the all off/on feature won’t kill those zigbee devices/bulbs, even though it is paired with the ST Hub, it’s just a dead tile on the app. Also ST will not recognize the button presses to trigger events or devices like the minimote or zwn-sc7 wall mount.

Still worth it for $10 for the kids or visitors without a smartphone. ST should rebrand a version of this and add the necessary code to allow it to fully pair up like a minimote/zwn-sch and make a bundle. They should offer HubV2 with a compadiable included remote, not everyone wants to be tied to a phone to operate everything 24/7.

2 Likes

I know what a zwave secondary controller is and I know how it should work. The issue is that ST only supports Basic (zwave term) command classes. So the 45600 will not be able to, for example, assign a mode change to a button, or a Hello Home Action, unless it was initialized by a different zwave hub like Vera first.

The aeon minimote is a zwave device but uses a different set up process, so I can use it to trigger a HelloHome Action (which could include actions by zigbee devices as well as zwave, since the real commands are issued by the hub) with one button press.

So my question is very specific. Not theoretically, but in actual ST deployment. Can the (not discontinued) 45633 be set up so that a button can be assigned to trigger a Hello Home Action? Not just toggle some local zwave devices on and off, but, like the Minimote, be used in an ST installation to control any device as a button controller?

Wrong! GE45633 is an updated version of GE45601 (not 45600). But, unlike 45601 it does support Association command class, which means that, in theory, it should work with SmartThings the same way as Minimote. It also supports Z-Wave security.

The 45631 is a wall mounted keypad controller, which several people said they couldn’t get to work with ST, recommending the Enerwave sc07 instead.

I’m asking about the 45633, which is a handheld fancy remote, same form factor as your typical TV remote, or the 45600 with the known problem.

Sorry, it’s a typo, I meant 45633. Corrected my post.

Ok, so the 45633 should work as a button controller, based on the conformance statement.

So the answer to this topic (which is a FAQ) should be:

“The discontinued 45600 uses a zwave command class not currently supported by ST. If you’re willing to spend more, the newer 45633 has a similar form factor and should work like the Aeon minimote as a HelloHome Action controller, although you may need to customize the button controller device type to account for the number of buttons.”

Does anyone actually have one in use? And if it does work, why isn’t ST selling it? :wink:

Amazon reviews are pretty bad and claim that it does not work with Vera and Nexia. But unlike those controllers, we can write a custom device handler for it. I’m still hesitant to spent $62 bucks on it. :slight_smile:

You are correct, the 45600 same as 45601, not the 45633… my bad…

I wondering if everyone is mixing them up like us… If we can get the newest (45633) oprational, why couldn’t we then clone the cheap 45600 to it with the 9661 or 9662 commands listed in the manual?

If so, can we get a devicetype for the 45633 going?

Manual: cosmicpuppy.com

45633 is discussed in the new thread:

1 Like

Works perfect, unless you switch to a V2 Hub, then ST no longer allows you to add lights to the buttons…

Really?? :cry:

That’s messed up, bro.

Tired everything, my 45600s are worthless with v2… What did they do? Change DeviceType or firmware on how to handle secondary zwave controlers? That’s all it uses to talk to ST, right? Anyone have issues with other zwave remote controls?

Something may well have changed because some people, but not all, have reported it they are unable to do include with the minimote on V2. That sounds like the same problem that you’re having with the 45600.

So I don’t think it’s Specific to this device. But I don’t know any fix for it. The minimote people haven’t found one yet

Just to be clear, they include fine. Just can’t add any programing to it. The all off/on feature does turn every zwave item in the house off/on. So is does seem to work as a secondary, but has no capibilty to add a light or lights to a button.

Right, that’s similar to the minimote issue. It still works as a device, and it still works as a button controller in fact, but it can’t be used to include or exclude New devices to network, while the same Minimote can on the v one. Something has changed with the V2 hub in the permissions that the secondary has. But no one’s tracked down exactly what yet. Unless @duncan has discovered something.

1 Like

I don’t believe that’s possible. These remotes work completely independently from the hub. Once you include them in the network as secondary controllers, the primary controller (hub) is not involved in any way. The secondary communicates with the devices directly. So there’s nothing the hub can do to stop the secondary from adding devices.

I’m no longer in possession of GE45600, but I have a couple of similar older Intermatic HA07 remotes and can confirm that they work with ST V2 the same way they did with V1.

2 Likes

I have two of these remotes and worked fine with v1 but I’m also not able to add devices to the remote when I moved to v2. Interestingly enough, the all on and all off button sequences do work, but without being able to add a device to the remote you can’t do much of anything useful.

You just need to try resetting them and including in the network again. Like I said, there’s nothing that can prevent them from association with compatible ZWave devices. The “All On/Off” works because it’s a broadcast command, i.e. It does not require association.

Did several times, put back on v1 and good, back to v2 and can’t add any zwave devices to a button.