GE 45600 Handheld Remote as SmartThings Scene Controller (Edited: Does not work!)

Wow! SmartThings must have done something really stupid in V2. Who knows? Maybe they’re trying to kill Z-Wave. :skull_and_crossbones:

They do seem to bash it over their precious zigbee, not sure why they always seem less supportive on zwave devices, but it is apparent. After all, zwave seems more of a standard compared to all the proprietor zigbee protocols out there.

I haven’t figured out what’s going on yet. It’s apparently only some v2 hubs (or some remotes?) because my hub works fine with the minimote as an inclusion controller and some other people have reported it works for them too. Possibly some v2 hubs aren’t assuming the SIS role properly. @jimmay3 what is the zwaveControllerStatus in your hub data?

zwaveControllerStatus: 1D
zwaveNodeID: 01
zwavePowerLevel: 0
zwaveRegion: 1
zwaveSerialVersion: 0
zwaveSucID: 00
zwaveVersion: 0000

Uf, yeah that’s not what it should be. I’ll have to look into this and figure out how to correct that.

1 Like

Heard some minimote users also reporting issues… Sounds like something in the v2 setup/firmware that is blocking newly added secondary zwave controllers…

1 Like

i just purchased this remote. by doing the network reconfig (setup 9-6-7), it sent the following to the device events:

“Z-Wave Remote: ManufacturerSpecificReport(manufacturerId: 32, manufacturerName: Universal Electronics Inc., productId: 5008, productTypeId: 32775)”

The manual says that the command sends and asks for the setup data. Can that be used to sneak some scenes in?

If not, can i just use that command to do at least 1 thing with the remote?

I’d recommend you return it if you still can. You can get a Minimote for $20 - $25, which can be used as a button controller. This remote can’t.

1 Like

Yes, it can be used to control any zwave devices in your system. Unfortunately, there is a new issue that @duncan (above) will be looking into soon, it’s not allowing the buttons on the remote to be programmed to control any individual zwave devices, only the “All on/Off” feature it working once the remote is added to the system with the 967 command.

You still can’t beat the device for well under $10, I’m always going to keep one around just to reset a zwave device, I can visually force and see a device get factory reset, great when you have a device that just won’t include, usually a quick reset and it’s back up in seconds. You should be able to do a reset with ST utilities, but never quite seems to do it.

Funny, just tried to put remote into device reset mode and the one attached to ST won’t allow it to reset anything, same one that can’t add anything to the buttons; yet my other remote is fully off the ST network and blanked out with a factory reset (969) and it will go right into device reset mode and kill a device off the network it’s not even attached to. The remotes are now attaching to my v2 with some kind of rights issue, v1 seems ok?

-Factory Reset a Device (Light/Switch) via a GE 45600 Remote:
-Hold Setup button till Red/Green flash twice.
-Press Delete (Red Blinks)
-Press Light (flashes green rapidly).
-Press button on actual device, reset is complete when green stops flashing.

1 Like

for 7 bucks, i’ll keep it as a toy spaceship with LEDs that light up randomly.

The button remote you speak of, would that let me change modes or run Routines while offline?

Tangent:

I just bought a bunch of those Quirky in wall zigbee light switches. sad because this remote won’t work with them, so i would just try to sell or trade for zwave switches as they seem to be more popular. BUT people in here seem to think that zwave is the ugly step child. Am i better off turning over the quirky switches to buy some zwave ones? just in general.

Wait… so these remotes no longer work w/ the v2 hub? I have v1 hub, and I haven’t installed my v2 hub because of all of the issues people are running into. I’m wondering if I’ll lose the ability to use these remotes for v2 of the hub.

SmartThings works with both Z-Wave and Zigbee. However, you have to understand that those are two completely different systems that can not communicate with each other directly. The hub (or rather SmartThings cloud) servers as a bridge between them. Some people prefer Zigbee, some - Z-Wave. There’re advantages and disadvantages to each of them. You can mix and match, if you want to, but for better interoperability I’d recommend choosing one and sticking to it. You’ll save yourself a lot of grief.

On a V2 Hub, is this done locally or does it still require the ST cloud?

It’s all done via SmartApps only (well, which link together the Device Handlers).

So it will only be local if the Device Handlers are all standard versions included in the V2 firmware and the SmartApp is, well, I think the only local one is “Smart Lighting”, at the moment.

GE 45600 Remote is now functional again on V2 Hub… @Duncan, Thanks…

1 Like

Just added a GE 45633 Zwave Remote Control brand new (Model # on the back sticker ZW5303) to my SmartThings Hub V2 and it is outstanding. Every Zwave Device works flawlessly. I have not configured Scenes yet however one nice thing that I have found is the it synchronizes with the app. If I turn a device ON or OFF or if I dim a device also with the remote it shown the status of the action in the app. That is cool.

Very fast, excellent features and looks very good. I always use the app and I was happy with that however, my wife has been upset since I installed ST and always complaining about having to use the iPhone or iPad to turn things ON & OFF. Now with the new GE 45633 Remote she is very happy and definitely I’am very satisfied after integrating the GE 45633 remote with SmartThings.

Joe

I successfully added GE 45600 remote controller to ST and can add light switches easily. My problem is I have a 2-channel zwave outlet with 1 physical button that turns on/off both channels. However, ST hub allows individual CH1/CH2 control via the app. How can I trick the GE 45600 into “learning” individual outlets? I tried “Simulated Contact Sensor with Actuator” device handler but did not work.