Garage door and zfm80

Just got my smartthings and my first project is going to be my garage door. It’s an old opener so I could go with the GD00Z-4 but I opted for the DIY approach as seen in this blog http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/automate-your-garage/#disqus_thread

I realize that blog is from a while ago but I thought it would still be relevant and as a tinkerer I liked the idea of putting something together myself.

I was able to set the relay to momentary so it triggers the door correctly but I can’t get the full garage door integration as spoken of in that blog. All I see in my smartthings app is to add the gocontrol garage opener.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I consider myself clever and a good researcher but this one has me stumped.

Thanks

Not sure if this will help but this thread gave me the ability to have an app that shows my doors opening and closing and a button to push to open/close.

I am using a relay (set to momentary) and a tilt sensor on my garage doors.

Hope this helps you…Steve

Thank you Steve!!! I knew it had to be possible! Up and running now. It’s a shame they took away the ability to build the setup right within the app. Commercialization I suppose. Is vera maybe the way to go? More open? I’m still within my return window…

Your welcome.

It’s my understanding that the way we have our garage doors setup does not meet safety regulations. Unattended door movement it’s supposed to have a light and then an audible alarm before moving. Probably removed for liability reasons. I have considered putting my unused siren in the garage and use that as both a visual and audible alarm.

I don’t use the ability often. I really only have it in case I leave a garage door open when I leave. I still press the button on my clicker when I get home. Currently working on voice activated opening but it’s not quite the way I want it.

I like the way ST operates but it’s the only one I have used so I can’t comment on moving to another platform. Maybe check out their forums and see what’s happening over there?

Yeah, I’m sure it’s a liability thing. I, like you, only really intend to use it in “emergencies” if I forget the door or if I need to let someone in when I’m not home(roommate locked themselves out once already). ST seems to have the biggest community and best connectivity options so I think I’ll probably stay with it.

Thanks again!