Frustrated by the state of things

12h

1 

@bamarayne That is my version of the device code :smile: (I am gouldner on github) so can you tell me how you would configure “Rule Machine” to do what I am trying to do ? You are using it as a switch which I know will work since i added the switch code. But I am trying to have the door open be the event that triggers not the action that is taken.

ron you should be able to do this with the something left open smartapp under energy management that is why I use to alert that doors are left open… My gd00z garage door does appear there … I know you are trying with rule machine but have you tried that way?

That app works well for this. The only problem I had was that it would send a message continuously until the door was closed. So, I’d it was set to warm you after ten minutes, it would send the message every ten minutes.

Perfect, that is what I was looking for !!! Didn’t think to look in Energy Savings Section, I consider this a security issue. I guess that is because in Hawaii doors left open are not really an energy issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bravenel I installed Rule Machine and Rule, published Rule Machine and tried to test Garage Door for you.

1. Garage Door was not present in Triggers or Conditions as I expected
  2. When I attempt to configure the action and it present be with the Unauthorized to take this action error I posted above.

Now I can not seem to uninstall the Smart App. I can remove the Rules but how do you remove the actual Rule Machine ? I have no rules but I see no way to uninstall the app itself.

I used these versions from Master Branch
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule-machine.src/rule-machine.groovy
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy

I think garage door is depreciated… Like I said previously it should be door control…

ie

capability "Door Control"

}
	standardTile("open", "device.door", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
		state "default", label:'open', action:"door control.open", icon:"st.doors.garage.garage-opening"
	}
	standardTile("close", "device.door", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
		state "default", label:'close', action:"door control.close", icon:"st.doors.garage.garage-closing"
	}

I did not implement this, although I could. I only implemented the actions of open() and close(). Is testing the state of the door something you need?

Rule Machine intentionally does not have a Remove button, because there is no failsafe, and people can lose all of their rules with a single click mistake. Here are the instructions for removal:

Method 1: Edit line 36 of Rule Machine in your IDE, change uninstall: false to uninstall: true. Then save and publish for me. Open Rule Machine in your mobile app, and click on Remove or Uninstall. That should take every thing out.

If that doesn’t work, or throws an error, then use this:

Method 2: Download this file from Github: https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule-machine-delete.src/rule-machine-delete.groovy1, and paste the source to replace all of the code of Rule Machine in your IDE, then save and publish for me. As above, open Rule Machine in your mobile app, and click on Remove or Uninstall.

1 Like

Actually … right; but it was recently re-added again; though I think it has the exact same Attributes & Commands as “door”. Can’t find the quote at the moment.

I’m ambivalent at the result … Capabilities are just a contract for commands, they aren’t really supposed to categorize your devices … or is it the other way around? It’s a quirk in the architecture definition that I started to crusade, but nobody followed me. :crying_cat_face:

I think that the capabilities are really the external interfaces… ie what commands you can expected to check or send to the device to ascertain status or control it. That is my interpretation anyway…

and garage doors and others like this are strange in that they have a status open and closed which is sensor capability
and door control to actually open close which is door control capability.
So integrated garage door devices are really two with the sensor kinda hidden.

for non integrated … ie ones you install a sensor and a switch that is why I wrote the garage door control smart app and used the simulated garage door device to make it act like the integrated garage doors.

Yes, again the rule I have been describing is
When door left open for 5 min (condition) then alert me immediately and every 30min that it remains open.

Does that makes sense ?

I don’t like the idea of an app that can not be removed. Perhaps you can find a better way to handle the issue of it being deleted with rules in place ? I will modify your code to allow me to delete the app. Thanks.

Method 1) Doesn’t work
Method 2) 404 error when I visit the link you provided, corrected to ( https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule-machine-delete.src/rule-machine-delete.groovy ) and this method worked.

I think I will just use the door left open app. So no need to add Garage door I can’t seem to get this Rule Machine working. If you know the cause of failures above I am willing to test Garage Door for you later. Let me know if you would like me to do that.

Many devices are like this, they have a state that a SmartApp can query using currentValue(attribute), and they have commands, which when given sometimes change the state. Nothing special about a garage door device in this regard. Of course, a contact sensor for a door has no commands that affect its state, nor a motion sensor, etc.

Yes, I will look at adding the conditions/triggers.

Not possible, because each rule is a child app of Rule Machine. I have over 50 rules; I’ve had the experience of hitting the wrong Remove button by mistake.

Would you be willing to help me test coming up with a better Remove mechanism? The only way I could test it would be to blow off all of my rules, which I really don’t want to do. How about a trade? Send me a PM if you’d like to help.

I’ve accidentially remove stuff too…, how about double prompts before removing… are you sure you want to remove the entire smartapp… Not Just one RULE?

I’d need to put the remove on a second page. I’ll work on that…

1 Like

Is it possible to put in a confirmation? So that when you press remove it asks you, "are you sure you want to remove the entire app? "

Not with the Remove button, that I know of. But I could create a similar two step making the user have to drill down to get to the Remove button.

3 Likes

I pushed an update that has Remove. I need a helper to test it for me. It will take out all rules that are defined.

I really wish I could rely on my SmartThings system :sleepy:

My 82 year old Mother In-Law just moved in with us and I really wish I could use the SmartThings hub to monitor her and allow her to have an alert button that could notify us via ST app any time.

But given the state of this system I need to look pay for another system to perform these tasks. Any recommendations ?

Every system is going to have some degree of failure which is loosely proportionate to (cost + flexibility). i.e., a rigid system is less likely to have problems (Staples Connect is mentioned a lot); and expensive systems … well, the point is loosely proportionate.

If the concern is the classic “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”tm, then get that Philips dedicated system for that purpose.

If there are a short list of critical items, then, perhaps, just perhaps, you can still use SmartThings as the heart of that system with a few bits of redundant hack code, etc…

Otherwise: Google “best alarm systems”, “best home monitoring eldercare systems”, … etc?

Thanks @tgauchat we really just need to know if she needs help in the middle of the night. An old fashioned bell would work :smile:

Thinking I will just buy this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNCRFFQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2HC58KVPP5OOH

But ST should have been a good option here, too bad.

Medical monitoring systems were recently discussed in the following topic. :sunglasses: Although The use case that initiated that topic is about someone who fell and blacked out, all of the commercial solutions mentioned for that problem also have a manual button that can be pressed to initiate the alert on demand, so they also solve your problem.

1 Like