Foxx Project Water Sensor on Amazon

Guys
I’ve used a lot of these z-wave water sensors and found them to be reliable and at this price, very cheap!
(Think they are rebadged Aeon Labs)

A seller on Amazon has them at £14.99 (usually £39.99)

They are the kind with a cable so you can cut the plug off and use then to get almost anything to report to ST

Like the sound of these.
I’m guessing water has to actually touch the prongs to report water?
So if I put one under my fish tank but water was dripping fast at the side it wouldn’t detect it through humidity etc ?

Me again lol
Just ordered one anyway, thanks.
I noticed the power plugs also which seem ok and it says they repeat Zwave do you think it would repeat Zigbee also?
As i have a little zigbee contact sensor that’s slightly out of range.
Thanks

Steve
the power outlets are good too
I have a bunch of them
Unfortunately they only repeat z-wave

Yes the water needs to touch the prongs at the same time - Not humidity
However… it doesn’t take a lot… works on your tongue :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW
If you cut the plug off and bear the two wires then you can use them for lots of other things…
I have them hidden inside switches (when switch is on the sensor reads wet)

1 Like

I managed to buy one at Maplin for £5!! Great little sensor.
I have mine in the Utility room, and set up in SHM with an alarm. Well I did until one rude awakening at 4:30am when a slug snook in and decided to snuggle the prongs :rofl: also managed to get a zwave extender too for the same price. :wink:

I was really lucky when Maplins were selling them off
I bought 5x water sensors @ £5 and a few sockets @ £10

Unfortunately Maplins no longer have them locally and they are not in stock on the website… plus Maplins has just gone bust!

1 Like

I know I’m hoping maplins sell all their stock of cheap now lol
My water sensors arrived this morning which I’m surprised at with all the snow here :slight_smile:
Which device handler do you use for it I’ve not got round to installing it yet.

Steve just use the standard handler - it will find it when you join it to ST
The only thing I have done is change a few handlers so it says things like on/off instead of wet/dry depending what I use it for.

Cheers yeah set it up earlier no problems.
What other things can you think of to use them for ?
I like how they are AAA batteries should last a lot longer I’m guessing :slight_smile:
I’ve just looked on maplins and they have 1 to collect for a fiver lol
Can’t be bothered though it’s 30 min drive to my nearest.

Brilliant Find Cobra. Thanks for sharing. So basically if I cut the 2 wires off, I have a dry contact sensor right?.

I have a use case for a 24v level sensor to monitor salt level in a water softener I have. If I wire my sensor into a 24v relay I can use the dry output from the relay to switch the water sensor.

I’ll see what deals I can get online for them!

Would you mind sharing your changes for on/off DTH?

I don’t want mine to show up wet/dry, but going to use it for on/off.

Thanks

Paul
This is how I use some of them
I just put a relay across the two wires
Two important things to note though…

If you use a N/C relay the batteries might last 3 days if you are lucky.
These are designed to be ‘dry’ most of the time and only occasionally show ‘wet’

With a N/O relay my batteries are lasting 10 months or so.

The second important thing is that you MUST use a dry switch or relay.
ANY kind of voltage connected to the wires will fry them instantly.

Andy

@kraegd
There are just a couple of ‘labels’ to change in the DTH
I’ll dig the details out in the morning for you

Andy

@kraegd

Look in the DTH for this section:

tiles {
		standardTile("water", "device.water", width: 2, height: 2) {
			state "wet", label: "wet", icon:"st.Weather.weather10", backgroundColor:"#FF0416" 
			state "dry", label: "dry", icon:"st.Weather.weather15", backgroundColor:"#29BA29"
		}

Look for: label: “wet”, and label: “dry”,

Just change these to whatever you want to show in the ‘things’ page
If you change them, then save & publish it should show in the app
(You might need to refresh or close/reopen the app)

Andy

Ahhh you are just changing the labels, thought you might be changing its capabilities. I wanted to change mine into a momentary switch. I’ve hardly done any Groovey Programming, only modified a few slightly.

Wanting to pass it onto ActionTiles/WebCoRE as I’ve got mine wired upto a doorbell, so be ideal for using it as a momentary button.

Might have to do some digging into this one, thanks for a quick solution for now :slight_smile:

Kraeg

Andy.

Thanks for the info. I’ve purchased 2 of these. 2 is still cheaper than 1 Aeotec Dry Contact Sensor so thanks again.

BR Paul.

You could add: capability.switch to the DTH but you would also have to add a couple of methods

Yeh, thats gone straight over my head.

I think I need to get stuck into coding with SmartThings and see what I can do…I’m ok with DOS Commands and Powershell…not so much Groovy lol