FortrezZ Water Flow Meter

wow @johnconstantelo, you’ve done some really fine work here. I keep saying thank you but it’s so well deserved and I suppose sense you aren’t charging us for your app greatness, gratitude is what you should receive in spades.

Ok, so from what I can tell it’s working extremely well. I’m uploading logs to google spreadsheet and Smartthings released an update to the Android mobile app so it seem to be rendering everything flawlessly.

Couple more questions for you. What’s the point of the power tile? Is that necessary to record power so we can log to goggle?

What app do you like to use to get alerts of flow while you’re at home when outside of normal flow hours? During the hours of 11pm-6am I don’t expect flow and would like to be alerted of it but not via my phone because I have my phone silenced during those hours. A siren would also be really bad…don’t need to wake wife and kids. I was thinking something like turning on my bedroom light have having it blink or flash until I told it to quiet down. Thoughts? I can’t seem to find any apps that support triggering from the flow meter.

Best.

Todd

Thanks @tkurtz, I enjoy doing this stuff.

The purpose of that tile is to show you if the meter is running on batteries, AC power, or low battery.

My use case is a little different than yours. I want to know flow when our mode was away, so I use ST’s Energy Alerts simple smartapp. For your use case, you should be able to do that with CoRE.

I have been using my FortrezZ flow meter and SmartThings for about a month. I finally got around to reading this thread and I really like what I see. I installed your interface and changed the device to use it but I get no information showing on the graphs. I changed the frequency from 1 to 6 as well. I tried all three graphs and they all show no flow information. I started some water flowing and the interface showed the flow. When I change it back and refresh the graphs all is back. Also the total gal this period shows as 0 with the new interface. I probably screwed up something and would appreciate any advice you can offer.

What does the Right Now tab look like? After you changed preferences, or at least just opened up preferences, did you tap on Done?

Also, when did you copy the code over? I literally just discovered (Friday) that FortrezZ has a certificate issue with their website used to send data and create charts. I’ve already emailed their support, but haven’t heard back yet. I just changed my code to use http vs https until they fix the certiciate issue. Give the latest version a try.

1 Like

Wow thanks for responding so quick. I just installed it this morning so I should have the latest code.
06-10-2017 : Changed to “http” from “https” for the URL for post/get functions because of certificate issues FortrezZ’s site is having. Will change back once fixed.

Attaching Right Now tab. And yes I changed preferences and tapped on done. I just re-enabled your interface and it still says 6 that I set it to.

This DH looks great. I haven’t gotten a water flow sensor yet. Is the general consensus that the FortrezZ is among the best? This is just a monitor right? I also need a shutoff valve separately if I want that functionality? And I assume again Fortrezz for that?

Have you had a look at webCoRE and its Fuel (beta) analytics? I don’t know much about the analytics provided OOTB, however with Fuel you can easily have this log and see graphs of the data, assuming it exposes the water flow numbers which I assume it does.

No worries Bill. Is this working for you now?

When you change any of the preferences and tap on Done, please also tap on the Configure tile. That should ensure changes take effect. I need to update my code so that it automatically does that.

Thanks!

As far as I know, it’s the only water flow meter on the market like this. It’s a well designed device made from quality material. I think you’ll be happy with this.

Basically, yes.

Correct, but you don’t need their water shutoff valve. Lowe’s makes one that’s easy to install, AND it’s much cheaper (even the 1" version). You can also make one yourself with a relay switch and a motorized valve, which is what I did (won’t save you any money if you get the Lowe’s valve).

I use Simple Event Logger to capture data for the flow meter and a whole bunch of other devices. It saves data to Google sheets where I can create my own graphs. The meter uses the Power capability, so that’s how you’ll associate the device to a SmartApp like the one I use.

Hi @AppWorx_Bill, I just updated my code to automatically run Configure when you tap on Done in the Preferences screen.

Hi @johnconstantelo,
When I posted the picture last time I forgot to request the graph update so it just showed the one from the original code. Here is a copy with the graph refreshed showing zero activity again. I updated to the latest release and got the same results. Low flows today due to all the rain we got yesterday so my sprinklers skipped the last 2 days.

Hi @AppWorx_Bill,

What does the IDE show for these values:

I’m wondering if you should go ahead and specify a customID to see if that forces the graphs to generate. Also, if you do make changes for Preferences, watch your Live Logs for the device and let me know if you see any warnings or errors?

Hi @johnconstantelo
My customID has no value. Where do I find out what mine should be? I notice the warning "Custom ID (CAUTION: ADVANCED USERS ONLY. Causes ALL charts to reset. Leave empty for default.)"
I don’t mind causing all charts to reset. The original DH doesn’t have the entry.
Name Type Value
customID text
gallonThreshhold decimal 18
registerEmail text xxxxxxx@xxx.com
reportThreshhold 6

@AppWorx_Bill, yep that’s the message I put in there in case someone doesn’t realize what they’re doing, but in reality it’s no big deal because the old charts are only around for 4 weeks anyway.

A customID can be anything you want. You can use something like APPWORX and it will be fine. Give that a try and let me know. I’ll be around for about another hour or so.

@johnconstantelo
Still flat lined. Shows flow (6 gpm) but no gallons total and graph is still flat. Now with custom ID

@johnconstantelo
How can I modify “FortrezZ Flow Meter Interface gpm is 6.4” to include the “cumulative” value

This is very odd. If your flow meter works fine with FortrezZ’s stock device handler, it should have no problems with mine. This is so weird. Here’s what it should look like with a 24 hour chart:

That can be a lot of code to modify, but it’s doable. I’d prefer that we figure this out because there’s no reason this shouldn’t be working for you.

Please do me a favor and try my code again. Bring up live logging in the IDE and turn on a faucet. Let it run just for a bit (depending upon your report rate threshold), and then stop the flow. Your live log should look like this:

Can you tell me what yours looks like? In my log capture you can see where the flow starts, runs for a bit, and then stops. As soon as it stops your data is sent and any chart should become available.

EDIT: I also noticed that you don’t have anything in the message box in the middle. After switching back to my code, tap on the Reset Meter tile?

@johnconstantelo
Works after meter reset. Before reset the live log showed an error.
79c288f2-904d-4ae1-af68-6a6ab87626f9 3:52:13 PM: debug GPM Handler: [gpm: 0, cumulative: 66399.2]
81486be7-bee5-416b-8010-39eef2c06200 3:52:13 PM: error groovy.lang.GroovyRuntimeException: Ambiguous method overloading for method java.math.BigDecimal#minus.
Cannot resolve which method to invoke for [null] due to overlapping prototypes between:
[class java.lang.Character]
[class java.lang.Number] @ line 310
81486be7-bee5-416b-8010-39eef2c06200 3:52:12 PM: debug Flow has stopped, so process what the meter collected
Thanks for your help.
The reason I was looking for cumulative in the log was because today I am calculating the gallons used by each sprinkler valve. Today I extract a complete event log for a day (30-40,000 lines) into a spread sheet and filter for “cumulative” or “watering” lines and them hand extract the data I need for my 12 sprinkler valves. At some point I will try and marry them with my Rachio start and stop watering so I won’t have to do it by hand.
I just noticed that your code outputs the cumulative total when the flow stops. I like that but unfortunately I overlap my valves to eliminate valve knocking so the flow does stop during the cycle. But i can get the total gallons at the end of the cycle which is handy.

1 Like

Hi @johnconstantelo
Not sure if this is the correct place to pose this question. If not please point me to the proper place.
I have a Fortrezz flower meter and a Rachio v2 sprinkler controller which are both interfaces to Smart things. What is the best way to extract the current flow meter reading in the Rachio code so I can calculate and log the gallons used by each sprinkler valve cycle. Ideally I would tile to access this value from a core piston. Is this practical to do?

I have no idea how you’d do that in CoRE, but maybe you can use Simple Event Logger. I use that app to capture data from many devices. I’m not familiar with the Rachio device, so I’m not sure what device capabilities it exposes that you can capture data for. Depending upon what it makes available, you can capture flow meter data and sprinkler data in one Google sheet document with that app.

@johnconstantelo
Ok I decided to take your suggestion and use the Simple Event Logger. It captures my sprinkler valves starting and stopping and some FortrezZ entries but not the cumulative event which is what I need. I am capturing water, power, contact, energy, switch, and valve but none of them trap the cumulative event. Any suggestions?

Or even this from live debug
79c288f2-904d-4ae1-af68-6a6ab87626f9 12:35:01 PM: debug Cumulative Handler: [gpm: 3, cumulative: 89.7]

It does capture:
06/15/2017 12:03:21 FortrezZ Flow Meter Interface water dry dry 06/15/2017 12
06/15/2017 12:03:21 FortrezZ Flow Meter Interface power 2.6 2.6 06/15/2017 12
06/15/2017 12:13:39 FortrezZ Flow Meter Interface water wet wet 06/15/2017 12