FortrezZ Water Flow Meter

Hey guys! I just installed this and the wonderful guys from Fortrezz even logged in to my account to make everything “work”. I originally had the device as a “home energy meter” which was causing problems. Steve quickly resolved this and now it shows up properly. My next problem is that this water meter is actually measuring how much water I pump in my pool. These devices are notorious for just dumping thousands of gallons of water into your pool and not realizing it until its too late. So I had a different water meter on a security wire (22/4) that wasn’t counting properly (story of my life). I put the meter in with little incident except for one leaky joint I replaced :slight_smile: I then extended the USB via the security wire and used B connectors (a security style wire nut). I got no connection. I struggled to figure out what went wrong. I then broke out the soldering iron and soldered those connections. I still didn’t get it working. I then broke out my toner to make sure I had the right darn wire. I do - but it still doesn’t work. Short of plugging in a phone and a power adapter on each side I don’t know what to do or how to test it and figure out whats not working. Any ideas or thoughts?

Is there a way to adjust the interval in which the app reports the current temperature? I would like to make it report the temperature only once every 3 hours. How could I do this?

Not that I know of. The temperature readings are sent whenever it changes, and not based on an interval.

I can’t get your smart app to work with my device, I get an error when trying to “create”

No signature of method: script14843580836142063348673.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script14843580836142063348673$_run_closure1) values: [script14843580836142063348673$_run_closure1@7b124f4c] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)
New SmartApp

Any advice? Just got the meter and havn’t yet figured out how to get the app. Can’t find it on the Fortrezz Github either (smartapp.groovy)

Would appreciate any help

Yup, my code is for the device handler/type, not a SmartApp. Just follow the directions that came in the box, and instead of using their DH use mine. Their SmartApp for leak/flow notifications works fine.

Thanks, I think I have it now.

Question, what is the best way to see how much water was used in the last 15 minutes? None of the screens seem to have that resolution.

The 24 hour view is the smallest resolution FortrezZ provides.

Thanks John. Would a modification of the device handler code be able to get more resolution or is it limited by the reporting of the device? I am in the California drought and I bought the device to help me determine where the HECK all my water goes. I want to see how much water I used in the last 15 minutes, 30 minutes and hour. (in addition to the existing graphs, which are great.

Thanks again

Hi @brian93109, the device can go as small as 10 seconds to 60 seconds for reporting intervals. The issue isn’t with the DH or the physical device, but with the charts. FortrezZ would have to create a 1 hour chart for us, or you can log the value being sent to FortrezZ’s servers to Google sheets (which is done everytime the flow stops).

Can’t a smartapp just grab the cumulative gallons every minute and report last 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes? Where can I find someone that can actually write an app like that? I’m not a programmer, just a tech loving water conserver.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I’ve been traveling the last couple days.

Yes, a SmartApp can do exactly that but it also relies on the DH to get the data from the device. In the water meter’s case, it’s neither a SmartApp or DH problem. The device handler actually sends every single reading to FortrezZ’s cloud to build the chart.

One option, as I mentioned above, is to request FortrezZ create an hourly chart that the DH just updates like it does today. I think that might take a while since there’s nothing really motivating them to do that.

The other option, which I think could be your best method would be to use one of a few existing SmartApps that log data elsewhere, like a Google spreadsheet. You can then go nuts with the data you collect. Here are a couple:

Here’s an example using Google and SmartTiles to display a chart:

And here’s another option for logging:

Hi @brian93109,

Here’s another update. I modified the flow meter DH to add the capability “Power” so that any one of the logging apps I mentioned above will capture the last gallons used. Since ST doesn’t have any capability for flow, I had to use Power, and technically the device (and the DH) acts like a power meter.

After working on another project, I would highly recommend using the app Simple Event Logger to capture your usage, it’s by far easier and it’s a whole lot better:

Here’s what my logging looks like. Remember that “power” is really gallons used:

Hi, I got my flow meter installed and running a couple days ago. I’m loving it!

I just came across this community support page and looks like several of you have been busy updating the DH.

The official one from Fortrezz is working fine, but yours is tweaked out nicely. Would you consider it to be stable and performing well? If so I’ll go for your community version.

Thank you!

Todd

Thanks Todd, and welcome to the Community!

It’s been very stable, but ST’s latest mobile app release changed the look/feel a bit compared to the images above. It’s a text/image rendering problem they’ve had for a very long time impacting many custom DH’s in the community.

If you have any questions on usage or functionality, just let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So if I decide to go for it would I just delete the official DH, then install yours. Save > Publish and everything turns up roses? Don’t need to do anything with the SmartApp?

Thanks again!

No worries. You just need to install my code, and the just edit the device in the IDE and change the field titled “Type” to the DH you just created.

Hi,

I got you dh code properly installed and running but now the flow
measurement is way to high and there seems to be a longer lag in updating
vs the FortrezZ code. Am I not using your current stable code? I also lost
my graph history when using your code. Is that normal?

Thanks again for all your help. This is really cool stuff!!!

No worries, it’s addicting, trust me…

FortrezZ’z code is set to update every 60 seconds, but mine allows you to change that to as low as 10 seconds. Tap on the gear in the upper right hand corner to get to Device Preferences. You’ll see a setting for Reporting Rate. Use any number from 1 to 6. 1 being 10 seconds and 6 being 60. I’ll eventually change that so it’s easier to remember. Next, set your high flow rate. Once you’re done, tap on Done and those setting will be set.

Your graph history is still there, but due to those rendering issues I mentioned (and the latest 2.3.5 app release bugs), and with the carousel tile now used to show the graph, just tap on one of the time option times and your chart will show up.

My code also allows you to reset your meter back to zero, which also resets charts. It’s helpful if you want to sync this with your water company’s readings. It’s not necessary to reset your meter, but occasionally the meter spits out a crazy high number and it will throw your charts off. I save all my data to Google Sheets via the Simple Event Logger smartapp. I recommend giving that a good look.

Also, tapping on the tiles for highest usage or highest flow will reset just those metrics.

Again, remember that ST’s latest release of the app that just came out introduced some odd behavior depending upon if your iOS or Android, so exiting the device and going back in should resolve the rendering issues.

You’re the BEST! Thanks for the quick responses. Is it normal that the
lowest flow is 0.6 gpm? I’ve got a trickle going and that seems to be the
lowest.

Thanks @tkurtz. Yes that’s normal especially if you use the lowest reporting interval. The math used for flow rate won’t go any lower because the reporting interval is set to 10 seconds, and the readings come in as gallons per minute. You can see the math used on line 294. If you go back to 6 (or 60 seconds), you will see that gpm flow rate be a little smaller.

I personally wanted to see a faster reporting interval over a super exact flow rates. The faster I could detect (and monitor) flow, the quicker I could trigger automations to turn off water valves.

Since the water meter is technically a “power” meter, any smartapp monitoring “power” capabilities can use this device to notify you if power (water flow) is detected when you’re not home. Like when your neighbor (or their contractors) use your spigot and hose while you’re away to clean their paint brushes…