FortrezZ Flood Sensor - ST always adds it as a Motion Sensor. Workaround?

I have an older FortrezZ (WWA01AA) water and temp sensor that still working fine on my ST Hub (v2). My problem is with a brand new FortrezZ “Flood Sensor” I just bought on Amazon. No product code on front/back, just FCC ID on back. Reseller listed this newer sensor as item FZFTS05PUS, which likely is the FortrezZ product code…

Anyways, the issue is that no matter how I try to add this sensor (e.g. by Brand, Device Type or Scan Nearby), it always gets detected as a Motion Sensor. Once it’s added, if I look at the sensor thru the app, it lists a temperature (that’s good/expected) but the 2nd attribute lists as Motion sensor with a little icon for motion…

I tried calling Fortrezz, but always goes to vm…

TIA,
Mike

What Edge Driver or Device Handler is assigned to the device?

That’s above my pay grade - I have no clue :slight_smile: I thought since this FortrezZ sensor technology was several years old, between FortrezZ and ST - one would think it’s plug-n-play. Guess it’s more of the plug-n-PRAY :slight_smile:

FortrezZ tech support did call me back - and sent an article on how to manually add the device driver for this water/temp sensor using the web-based ST IDE. Unfortunately, the device type they said to use “Wireless Flood / Temperature Sensor” no longer exists in the current ST IDE :frowning: Guess I’ll email ST support…

Look for the Type called “Z-Wave Water Sensor”. That may work, if not you can look and see what device handler your other one is using and change your new to that same Type.

Turns out “Wireless Flood / Temperature Sensor” is the name of the Device Handler that I created following FortrezZ instructions (that name is embedded in the code found on github). The problem was that they left out an important step: after you create the driver, on the subsequent screen you then have to click on [Save] button in upper left. THEN you should click on [Publish->Me] button (to right of [Save]). I thought [Publish] implied a Save, so skipped doing the [Save] :slight_smile: Their instructions left out the crucial [Save] step. Apparently without the [Save] step, it gets created, but only temporarily. This new driver showed under My Device Handlers initially, but disappeared a few mins later.
Then, to make things more difficult - when you Edit the device and look at the longggg list of device Types, ones that you created yourself are at the very BOTTOM of the list. I was expecting it to appear alphabetically, with my custom Device Handler in the W’s section. Nope :slight_smile:

1 Like