Flickering LEDs

I have resolved a head-scratcher and posting this as a possible solution for anybody else that runs into this issue.

I have two distinct circuits on my living room lights and kitchen lights as evidenced by them being on separate breakers. I had all LED lights (8 BR30s) in the living room on a GE dimmer switch. I had 7 BR30s in the kitchen (4 were LED and 3 were CFL) on a Leviton dimmer switch.

When the kitchen lights were on and living room lights were off, they kitchen lights ran fine. If I turned on the living room lights, the kitchen lights would flicker. Which makes no sense to me because they are on separate circuits. If I used smart tiles to run off the living room lights, the kitchen lights would immediately stop flickering even though there was about a 2 second lag between pressing the tile and the living room lights actually turning off.

I took the three CFLs out of the kitchen and replaced them with LEDs. I haven’t had the flicker since with both the living room lights and kitchen lights on at the same time.

My house has neutral wiring.

It really was an odd issue in my mind.

(Ray) #2

It’s not really that uncommon to have lights flicker with dimmer/cfl/led. Due to the normal working voltages of these devices. They don’t work at 120VAC hence you have ballast for CFL and driver for LED. The charging and discharging of the CFL ballasts/LED driver combine with certain type of dimmer will usually cause flicker or buzz.

(Erik Franzen) #3

I am having the same problem I have had these lights for about a year and all of a sudden today they started doing this. If the living room lights are on and I turn on my kitchen lights they flash almost like a camera flash. I haven’t changed anything in my setup for months. Did smart thing change something today?

(Erik Franzen) #4

OK rebooting the HUB fixed it. All good now.

I absolutely understand that issue if they were on the same circuit, but mine were on separate circuits/breakers.

When the white wires were tied together and pigtailed into the switch/dimmer, no one accidentally tied ALL the whites together across circuits did they? I saw that once where there was more than one circuit running through a single electrical box and all the whites got tied together with a pigtail to a switch. It caused a lot of strange outcomes, and even more so with the GFCI that was downstream. GFCIs are sensitive and correctly identified a cross in the circuit and would trip off line even when there was no load on the GFCI.

However, one of the earlier indications was a light on the circuit that started to “strobe” or flicker…

That is a very good possibility and would make sense.