First Alert Smoke Detector - Iris

Thanks. I’ve been reading the link and going from there. Lots of good information. I’m still working out this forum. I use my phone on here 98% of the time and it has done key features missing… Or I just haven’t figured it out yet.

But I digress…

I have a combination of co/smoke detector and just smoke detectors. The combo ones are in common areas; the hall upstairs, hall downstairs, and garage. The basics are in living and sleeping areas.

All of them are first alert hard wired detectors.

This thread is about the Z-Wave smoke alarm. You should start a different thread or search for others’ work on wired smoke alarms such as Monoprice door/window sensor and Smoke Alarm Device Type

2 Likes

If you would have read my first post you would see that I was asking questions that relevant to the thread. My second post was in response to another thread.

Starting another thread, in this already completely unorganized forum, on a topic that is already covered among hundreds of posts is asinine. Searches are unlikely to result in relevant information without complete frustration on the part of your users.

But if starting another thread will ease your mind and ensure you are able to continue your work, on things like making a stable app, then I will spend the rest of my day creating a plethora of threads.

Thank you.

Edit:
I would like to note that your company has had a new hub, new equipment, new software, and a whole new user experience on the street for about a month.

A user getting updated information from fellow users that are both more experienced in the field as well other areas, plus the fact that many minds are better than a single mind on any subject, gives me ask of the reason in the world to continue my queries within this thread. It would probably be beneficial for the community if like missed threads wee combined into group threads, or rooms. Especially if those rooms were things like, contact sensors, alarms, motion sensors, etc…

New user to ST.

I just got one First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/smoke-detector-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm

Without reading the entire thread would someone mind telling me if i’m supposed to see both Smoke & CO in the app?

Thank you.

That’s all that I see as well.

Same here. I have one of the CO/Smoke and one Smoke only. They both appear the same in the mobile app.

Both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms use the same tile so that you can see the status from the devices list. The “Clear” will change to “SMOKE” or “MONOXIDE” and turn red when the alarm goes off. You can push the test button on the device and check that the tile changes to “TEST” to verify communication.

@duncan… Looks like the test button is gone…there was a test button in the app too. Right?

No, you’re probably thinking of the Z-Wave Siren device type. This is a sleepy sensor, so there’s no way to send a command to it.

1 Like

Yeap. I stand corrected.

How do you send an email alert?

From the Smart Home Monitor page pick setup then work thru the smoke options.

What has changed with this device or Smart Home Monitor with v2? System used to trigger a full alarm when tested on v1, this was great to ensure everything worked as you want it to on an alarm (lights and notifications). Now when test is pressed on the device it only shows test on the device page and does not trigger any assigned lights or notifications.

The only way to ensure notifications, lights and door locks are triggered is to create an actual smoke situation, is this safe? Add the Test status back to the trigger, it was identified as a test in the notifications, so it was perfect, why the change?

@jimmay3 That’s lame that the behavior has changed. As an alternative you could try this:

I use it to test my smoke detectors.

Good catch. I just filed a ticket to fix that.

Let me know when we can test it…

I get push notification and text no email options.

There were a few questions asked in the Deals thread about these that maybe you guys could answer over here. Thanks for your help in advance.

Continuing the discussion from Current device deals & best prices:

Edit:

2 Likes

Was thinking we should split off to another topic, you beat me to it :smile:

@Boruguru assuming ST has an accurate read of the batteries, I have two that are >90% and I installed them last July.

Keep in mind these are battery only so batteries should be replaced before they get anywhere close to low. Most fire departments recommend you change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year, when daylight savings starts/ends.

All of these about 6 mo old…