Fibaro Things - General

It did come from a ST staff member. But you can scratch “accurate” : indicative / optimistic at best :wink:

Have you thought about the hue light strips? Same thing andni believe they work with the STs integration. And they’re available now:)

Can you even order the US version of the Fibaro yet?

Hue Light strips are expensive, and really are not designed to be run for 60+ ft, from what I could see…

With other light strips, I can inject power along the way, allowing them to get longer within reasonable cost. 60+ft runs can cost 100$… Do that with the Hue strips!

Was just providing a suggestion:). We’re all friends here.

I just saw on their site that it is available in “limited quantities”. I am ok with STs supporting the things I can get my hands on readily and waiting to see if Fibaro makes it in the US.

Also there was a project using Arduino someone did a while ago. It is exactly what your looking for just using Arduino as the controller.

Re: Comments on “Look & Feel” vs. Functionality vs. Usability. Design Thinking encompasses all of that. Balance…
I agree on the form or function first issue - Applites are pure form and only core function leaving us advanced users out.
ST is morphing in different areas in different ways.
I like the Dashboard direction, but wish more of the design and function was thought out - it shows different approaches now. I am sure it will continue to be refined as we have already seen.
Function? in a pure MVC approach, the icon in the Dashboard groups & the one in Things would effect the same action. Always.
Form or Function? The Groupings would be flexible by the user: My Temperature group (with T’stat & Sensors) would be in the Dashboard & I could have another with Humidity, too. Ala the Motion group on the Dashboard. Then, I could have one for the Basement, First Floor, etc.
Form & Function? “Dashboard” == Render information first, take action second.
Form? Huge wasteful icons gone.
Form or Function? Audit “Actions” would always show why an Action happened. It shows in one view on one of my devices. Can never remember where…
Form & Function? Attributes Common to all things in a group would be rendered on group icon somehow. E.g. Temp-> color gradient. Batteries-> color gradient?
Function? Actions common to all things in a group would be effected by Touching group icon. E.g. On/Off, Lock/Unlock?
To me, it doesn’t matter which is first, form or function.
–Keep going in the direction you are going,
–Use Design Thinking in every release
–Set good tactical priorities for our Strategy
–Make that Strategy public and take comments
–Let us influence the Tactical priorities (on a Dashboard)

I just realized I got caught up in one Dashboard comment and also sidetracked the OP on Fibaro.
Sorry. Fibaro is a desire, Dashboards and the Apps are a soapbox of mine.

So, it was the Fibaro Thing thread that caught my eye first - I bought a US version Fibaro LED RGBW controller.
A while back I was really into ST programming and had time…
And, I believe LEDs in general and RGBW strips in particular are the biggest thing to hit the home design market.
I just renovated my Master Shower and put in a strip with an in-wall controller - blows everyone away.
Where I see these really shaping homes is in hallways and accenting big rooms - that is where HA is needed.

I intended to first write a small virtual device, then move on to work on the Fibaro RGBW.
I figured if the Vera community did it, translating it would be at least possible… I simply ran out of time.
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7pnlqE5Zhw

I am moving into a new house. ST helped me sell this SmartHouse, but I really want to do the next one up big!
I would love to have the RGBW controller working in SmartThings!
I’d have a strip on the patio, in the halls, kitchen, great room & stairs to start!
Consider this my vote on the priorities…

P.S. If anyone is good at Virtual Devices, the one I was going to write would simply let me Set Daylight(sunrise, sunset), Darkness(Illuminance), Presence(Home,Away) and TimeOfDay(Morning, Daytime, Evening, Night) and then it would set an encoded Mode to be used by all SmartApps. Everything I want to control depends on those attributes. The existing Mode functionality would give me everything I need if it could be set to represent the current home condition as a function of those.

2 Likes

Agreed. This is a huge win for SmartThings, if they would support it. Opens up a lot of opportunity, that I am ready to pounce on.

Given that you are moving into a new house. What did you find that most people liked the most about the alterations you made and built using SmartThings?

Well, we sold in three days, so there weren’t too many viewers. The buyer liked the automation aspect in general, but admitted he’d have his kids help him figure it out. I believe the electronic door locks and the lights turning on when they entered are in your face that this is different, modern and cool. Then add the home/away monitoring aspect and the connected thermostat/smokes gave him some piece of mind, too.

Any things we need to watch out for when transferring SmartThings to the new owner? Assume you avoided SMS and removed phone accounts.

@beckwith good point. BUt, I guess it could be avoided by just setting up a new hub for them, a bit of work. But, then it is a fresh start for them

@gtc100 well that is good news, although I am not planning to sell anytime soon. Do you have a feeling that the HA system helped to sell that home quickly?

I do a few flips, so I am curious about if it helped to make the house a bit more special, and made it easier for you to sell? I tend to refab 3 bed 2 bath houses, generally ranch as I tend to go for the Disabled Group. So, this of course makes sense for them, but for a normal home owner… Maybe not so much… So you can see why I am curious.

The short time to sell had more to do with the Decluttering, upgrading and staging, butnSmartThings definitely added to the cool factor the buyer liked.

I checked in with support on the transfer. They said they can transfer account emails. All else remains the same, so SMS will have to be removed prior to transfer. I am only leaving the hub and installed components. The buyer will have to get internet quickly to make it functional, obviously.

I finally solved my own problem by developing a custom Handler for the “Fibaro FGK-101 Temperature & Door/Window Sensor”.
Some of you might find it useful. I published it there :

1 Like

Weeeeeeee…

5 Likes

I figured there’d be some noise. :frowning:

Its Saturday!.. Come on @wackware

— begin excitement –

Oh wow! @wackware This is so exciting! How do you like it? is it better than the other solutions we have at the moment? What’s your use scenario? Motion sensitivity on it? (I.e. to ignore dogs?)

Only use case right now was to develop the device type. My dog is a hundred lb lab, so I doubt if it will discriminate her.

Amazing form factor. So many options aand settings …

1 Like

@wackware where did you get your hands on a US version? Can you control the colors? How does it compare to an AEON Multisensor? Does it have a powered option or is it only battery?

Santa heard I was a good boy this year. You can control the colors, but I don’t think that will make it into the first cut.

Battery only. When you see the device, you won’t care.