Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)

@twack
Does ST have a smartapp for this controller or are we stuck using something from GitHub?

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed any inconsistency with their Fibaro RGBW module since the latest upgrade? I mean more inconsistency than normal on SmartThings :confused:
My Hub 2 seems to have major issues turning on as per my SmartApps and when it does manage to turn it on the light level is around 10% so I end up having to manually turn the power up on the app. I’m just using main ST Smart Lighting smartapp to switch on and off…not even using the fancy options for levels or colour setting.
Dave

i cannot seem to get mine paired. process - connect power and search for device. no luck. do you need to install the device handler first?

I’m in a similar situation to ispy. Is there any advice regarding getting these controllers connected to ST? I’m very new, open to simple things I might have missed.
Background: I’ve tried both the automatic and manual inclusion methods described in the fibaro literature that came with the device. And I believe the device is in range because other z-wave devices nearby have already been connected.

@cruff - i have not had a chance to do this but Gill gave me specific instructions on another thread. see this one

Thanks ispy,

I’m not sure exactly which step fixed it, but the fibaro controller is connected now and this is what I did:

1. Install twack’s fibaro RGBW controller device handler on my account (had to copy/paste because the template wasn’t working for me).
  2. Reset the fibaro controller to factory default using steps outlined in fibaro literature.
  3. Set the app to look for new things
  4. Power up the fibaro controller.

The HUB found the fibaro after about 30 seconds. The app controller didn’t appear to be working initially, but it started working after a minute or so.

good deal. i think i may have a power supply issue. did you have lights connected while doing this?

I had one string of lights (final configuration is an array) connected to help prove my testing.

Has anyone run ~76 feet of 24V RGBW with a single Fibaro controller? I see above someone did 60 ft with no issues, so I’m hoping I’ll be fine.

The catch is that it’s for one tray ceiling. I could easily run two lines in parallel , but that’d be ~34 feet. Is that likely going to show voltage drops?

edit: Miscalculated, it’s actually around 76 feet. Is it still safe to try only one Fibaro, or could that damage the unit?

Put the Fibaro in the middle so if there is an issue it is easier to add a second one.

i wish these things had a power light

i have a question. as i am working with my fibaro controller i may want to use it for another application. is there a controller or option out there for white led only that can dim my led lights? my kitchen leds will only ever be white but i want to be able to adjust level of brightness.

thanks!

What kind of LED Lights do you want to use?
I asked because if your setup use a minimum of 25W (and maximum of 80W total), you can use the Fibaro Dimmer 2.

But it cost the same as a Fibaro RGBW…

I really only now the devices I use, so maybe someone else have more information for you…

Gil :slight_smile:

well it kinda goes back to our discussion on the pairing thread. i just started thinking that for my kitchen - wanting to do mainly white, i thought maybe there is a cheaper option and i can use the fibaro out by my pool. you taught me a lot but i am still trying to find the right solution for dimmable bright white leds for my kitchen.

1 Like

Can anyone help with a device type?

I’m hoping to use my Fibaro RGBW to measure my pool temperature. I have the sensor attached to a pool temperature probe but need some help with the device handler.

Currently I’m using https://github.com/twack/smartthings-devices/blob/master/Fibaro-RGBW-3-beta.groovy but I don’t have any temperature settings in smartthings. I’m not a coder, but from what I can tell there is no temperature capability in the device handler. Can anyone point me in the right direction to have the device type just give me a temperature tile with the current temperature? I don’t actually need the RGB code.

Thanks

1 Like

PS: Willing to pay someone to help with a device type that accepts an external temperature probe.

I’ve been searching around for a bit and this seems like the best thread to jump in on with a few questions. I’m considering diving into the wonderful world of SmartThings to up my home automation a bit. Currently have a Qolsys panel that I use now, and hopefully Qolsys will make it able to be a secondary controller soon, but that’s a later worry. Right now, the reason for ST is some more advanced automation with a home theater build I’m finishing. I’m trying to do something a little unusual with the LED strips in the soffit, and wondering if ST combined with Twack’s code will fit the bill.

Rather than an RGBW strip, I’m wanting to get an RGB strip (~55 feet total) plus a blacklight strip that will be used to charge the starfield paint on the ceiling. I’d connect the blacklight strip to the warm white channel. What I can’t quite tell from reading posts and screenshots is are the color wheel and such separate from the WW channel? I.e. if I’m playing around looking for the right color, is it also going to be sending juice to the blacklights as well, or is the WW function always completely separate?

Edti: Actually, I may have just answered at least part of my own question. It occurred to me as I was going back up through the thread that once I had the blacklight strips, I’d be looking at close to 100’ total lighting which would probably be pushing the amperage load beyond what the Fibaro could handle. Am I thinking right there?

I think you are correct in your thinking…i think that will be too much draw for the Fibaro.

For your initial question, each channel is controlled individually in the new code.

That’s good to know.

I’m thinking, since I really won’t need “that” much control of the blacklights as they’d only be used to charge the paint up, I’ll leave those on a separate power supply with a simple remote. Won’t need to include them in any scenes really. Which pretty much means I’ll be this: This is How to Install 65’ LED’s Light Strips w/ Fibaro RGBW Controller

I would be interested in seeing pics of your project if you dont mind sharing :slight_smile: