Fibaro Dimmer 2

Ok, physical lights are turning on fine now by using the Smart Lighting App routine that triggers when the Fibaro Motion Sensor detects movement. So that is great!

A question, though (always a question!). Why does the Fibaro Dimmer 2 tile in the Smartthings App (and in Action Tiles) show that the lights are OFF? I am trying to see whether there is a setting in the Dimmer 2 Device Handler to read the status when the lights have been turned on via another device (ie the Motion Sensor). No luck so far
 did see something about Scene Activation (parameter 28) and tried to set that to ‘Function Enabled’ but it won’t let me save that saying that I ‘need to check some inputs’.

Also, any idea what Scene 16 means in the attached screen shot?

thanks!

This one:
Copyright: David Lomas (codersaur)

Should I be using a different one?

Did your comment relate to why the Fibaro Dimmer is not showing that the light is on, when the physical light has actually been turned on by the Fibaro Motion Sensor?

Good point to check whether the status in the App updates with the physical switch. I have just turned the physical switch on and the App still indicates that the light is off!

Any good reason?

Just to note that the Events Listing in the IDE under Devices, for the Fibaro Dimmer 2, does log the press of the physical switch, if that is what you mean by Live Logging?

Also interesting is that the Power Tile does update and shows the Wattage being used. But even when this says 50 W, the on/off and level of dim is showing off and 0.

Wonder if it might have to do with the Parameters that are showing up as Red by default as per picture:

This tab?

Thanks, but where is the ‘preferences page’ in relation to this page?

Ok, thought you meant that. But I am very unfamiliar with what the live logging is meant to show. When I tried to update the Preferences page in the Smartthings App previously, it kept not allowing me to change anything and saying that I needed to check my inputs. Assuming it will continue to say that, what might the Live Logging page show to help?

Do you think a possible alternative solution is to remove the Fibaro Dimmer 2 Device from the IDE, then remove the Codersaur Fibaro D2 Device Handler, then reset the Fibaro Dimmer 2, re-add the Codersaur Device Handler to the IDE and publish, then re-add the Fibaro Dimmer 2 to Smartthings? I saw in a couple of threads that this resolved some people’s issues. Not sure if my issues are identical to theirs though. Just wonder whether my issues might have been caused by operating the Fibaro Dimmer 2 for a period using the default ST Device Handler for the Fibaro Dimmer 2, and then switching to the new Codersaur Device Handler?

Really appreciate your help.

I guess you already answered the question. I will take a look out for ‘
a security encapsulation error in live logging when toggling the switch
’.

Do you know where I can get the recommended defaults for each of the Preferences?

Think I’ve found the recommended defaults for the Preferences: (agree?)

And this was the result in Live Logging after I set the Defaults:

Sorry for my rambling. I just went to the house (I don’t live in it during the build) and used the physical switch to turn on and off, and the Smartthings App tracked the status of the light perfectly! Not sure exactly how what we did solved it, but just glad it did. Thanks again, Robin.

Have even got Alexa working with the lights. Loving it, even if my wife keeps saying ‘it’s just lights’.

1 Like

Haha. Have a bit of work to do to get it all working with Smartthings though. Going with Tado for the underfloor heating and radiators. Going with a Security Company for Alarm and CCTV - will be Smart, just not necessarily Smartthings compatible, although I am making sure that their sensors provide input to Smartthings. Not currently thinking of having smart door locks though, don’t trust myself with that sort of thing!

Hi Robin (or anyone else following). Hopefully a simple ask. Whenever I turn the lights on using the SmartThings App (not the physical switch) it always turns the lights on at Dim level 1. Even if I slide the dim level to, say, 80, and then turn the lights off using the app, and then turn on again, it turns the lights on at dim level 1. Any idea how I get it to turn on at the Dim level the lights were last at before they were switched off?

I have searched the Community pages and not quite found what I’m looking for, but guess I could have missed it.

thanks!

Just been to the house. Both physical switch and SmartThings App Tile switches on light to 1% irrespective of what the dim level was when the light was turned off. I tried your above suggestions, not corrected yet, will keep searching for the solution

Robin, you effectively solved my problem in a round about sort of way. Parameter 19 (Forced Switch On Brightness Level) was disabled (set to 0). But the light switch and App Tile were both switching on the light to Dim level 1, irrespective of the last dim level. I solved it by first turning Parameter 19 on and setting the level to an arbitrary level of 51, and saving it. And then disabling Parameter 19 again (setting to 0) and saving it again. Now it all works and the App Tile switches on the light to the last dim level.

Seems there are quirks and you just need to play around with it!

Going on a bit of a journey Robin. Managed to install Webcore and have been playing a little.

Probably a stupid question, but how do you get Smartthings to send an SMS? I have written a simple Piston as attached, but when I turn on the lights I don’t get an SMS. I have changed my number in the attached for obvious reasons, but I did use my actual number in the Piston.

Solved it. And seems obvious. Not sure why I originally had ‘With Loft Bedroom Downlights do
’. Clearly the Loft Bedroom Downlights can’t send an SMS! I deleted that and just left the ‘Do Send SMS notification
’ line, and it now works perfectly. I also changed the number to include the international dialling code of +44.

Hi Robin,

I have a question regarding the extractor fans that I will put in. My bathroom lights will be on the Fibaro Dimmer 2, and the extractor fan will be on the Fibaro Double Switch 2 (I guess the Fibaro Dual Relays are an alternative).

I can then determine the best way to turn the extractor on. I generally hate the noise of extractors, so might just get it to turn on, say, for 20 minutes between 8am and 9am, when we’re generally at work, and soon after we’ve showered, and a later time on the weekend.

My question, though, is there any way to ensure the Isolator switch overrides turning the Extractor on? So if the Isolator is off, the Extractor Fan will never turn on, not even via my smart routines? Wondering if the state of the switch can be included in Logic (so if Isolator is physically ‘off’ don’t turn on).

May sound strange, but at times we may just not want it to turn on, and the simplest solution would be to turn the isolator switch off, rather than change logic in the App/Webcore.

What do you use to reliably determine the humidity?

Also, this is all new to me, but had thought that Building Regs would require at least one physical switch connected to the Extractor Fan. Sounds like you don’t have the light switch connected to it either?

Thanks. Was searching for Xaiomi products last night. Couldn’t find how you source them in the UK. Do you know how I best get hold of them?

If it triggers via Humidity only, I guess you could just get an extractor fan that natively has its own Humidity Sensor and, in this case, not bother with a smart device (heresy, I know!)?

So you got rid of your Isolator switch for aesthetic reasons? If you’d left it, you could have dealt with situations were the Internet is down?