SmartThings Community

Feature Request: BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO GROUP A LOCK AND SENSOR INTO A "DOOR"

Seriously, this is ridiculous. I should be able to see that my door is closed and locked on the same screen.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

This is essentially a duplicate of several Topics; this one links to many:

They’ve been saying this would be coming back for 15 months now, so I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon.

You can create an alternative, but you can’t get it to display on the dashboard in the smartthings mobile app.

If you would be willing to use smarttiles to display the status of these “doors” then you could use core to turn on a virtual switch when both the lock is locked and The contact sensor is closed, and to turn off the switch when either of those two were not true. So the virtual switch represents the door which is made up of the two separate component devices.

I know it’s annoying to have to do that amount of work and To have the second display, in this case smarttiles, but the functionality is pretty good.

1. SmartTiles: customizable third party dashboard:

www.smarttiles.click

1. creating a virtual switch:
  1. CORE, to create a rule (which core calls a “piston”) to turn that switch on or off based on the status of both of the door devices:

Like I said, I’m not saying this is a good choice; like you, I would much rather see the functionality of the old dashboards restored. I just thought I’d mention this method in case having this level of functionality right now is of any help to you.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

Thanks again for the mention, @JDRoberts!

I just added a related Feature Request to ActionTiles’s to-do list: Allow the creation of a hybrid-Tile that combines a Lock Tile with a Contact Sensor Tile in one. This would help ensure that a customer cannot Lock a door that is still physically open (i.e., cannot throw the bolt outside the strike plate)… and provide a simplified display at the same time (saving one Tile space on a dashboard Panel).

I should have added that: PS: I know this is a duplicate and there are work arounds, I just wanted to voice my complaint at the top of the page for a moment :slight_smile:

I’m also already a SmartTiles user!

(Robin) #6

I use CoRE to send me nagging text messages every 10 minutes if my back gate is left open whilst mag lock is trying to engage.

I like the idea of displaying this on SmartTiles as well… Thanks for the idea @JDRoberts

@tgauchat - Will ActionTiles be able to display flashing attention grabbing warning tiles? Can this feature be included on your to-do list?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

It’s on the feature request list.

(Ray) #8

Great idea. I think I am going to create a virtual switch and use CoRE for this.