FAQ: Pairing Schlage Z-Wave Locks

Thank you Walter. You nailed it.

1 Like

And for anyone who’s not sure how to do the general exclusion mentioned in Walter’s instructions:

Just ran into the issue of not being able to remove a Schlage connect lock from smartthings that I needed to reset. Your instructions were perfect, thank you!

I just installed this lock and I can’t get it to pair. I’ve attempted the pairing. I’ve resent the lock. I’ve held the hub within a few inches of the lock. I’ve followed Walter’s instructions even though it’s never paired. It just beeps and flashes the ‘X’ at me. My patience are worn thin. This d**med thing is about to go back…

Any suggestions?

Hi Brian. I’ve had a lot of “fun” with these Z-wave locks. I removed my lock from the door, brought it over to the hub, then held it in place as if it was on a door. Then I followed the instructions again, and thats when I had success. I believe the instructions say not to setup the lock without it being on the door, so I rebelled a bit :-).

Is this a lock you’ve had paired in the past, or is it brand new out of the box and pairing for the first time?

I was finally able to get it paired with the help do this thread:

Since then I’ve actually added a 2nd lock to our home and that install went much more smoothly.

I’m having constant issues with my Schlage locks … seen this thread and figured I’d tag along if that’s ok :slightly_smiling_face:

I have no problems getting my locks to pair up (front door and back door) however keeping them “online” is my challenge. Sometimes days will go by with them working properly and then one of them will randomly be “unresponsive”. Which lock goes unresponsive is really strange and it seems to “flip flop” between which one feels like not responding … it’s either both locks working just fine or one of the locks not working.

If I pull the battery and reconnect it then the lock comes back “online” within moments …

Related question - these locks are running firmware version 128.22 according to ST … how does one check and update the firmware? :wink: My previous locks were Bluetooth and you could check/update via an app.

thanks!
Paul

1 Like

Just currious, can the key that.comes with the lock be copied or changed to work with the key I have foe my front door. Reason I ask is because I have nursing for my daughter & the night nurses have keys to the front/side door. I have a new nurse coming & im.not looking to give her a key since she ia.new so now im.looking into putting in a smart lock.
The is

The physical keys can be copied yes and I would believe the physical lock cylinder can be changed if you so desired (haven’t changed the cylinder itself). Is this situation though why not give them their own door code instead of physical keys?

I’m going to give the new nurse a code & probably codes for everyone but I wanted to keep the same key because it works on the front & side door.for me & my wife.

Yes - the cylinder pins can be changed to match other locks in your house if you have Schlage locks in the rest of your home. I’ve added two Schlage Camelot wave locks and have had them updated to match the other locks in our house. I took them to Ace hardware and paid $6 for to change it.

Thanks for the suggestion, my lock was able to exclude and pair again when I brought the hub close by connected with an Ethernet cable. ST communicates with the lock when the hub is nearby. When I return the hub to the normal location, upstairs, about 75 feet away, it no longer communicates with the lock. Z-wave repair does not help. There are 3 zwave plus switches and a beaming repeater within a few feet of lock and more than 30 switches between the lock and the hub. It worked great for several months but I am unable to get it to work any more. Any suggestions?

Thank you Walter, you’re pure genius, Sir.

I was just about to put a .45 slug through my Smart Lock, you saved the day, thanks.

Thank you!!! Saved me a big headache.

1 Like

Thank you so much i kept tripping over how to use the z-wave utility. I missed that I needed to follow the Schlage enroll/unenroll process while the Z-Wave unenroll process was working in SmartThings.

Thank you so much Walter. Huge sigh of relief here in Texas.

1 Like

So since Smartthings users had to move from Classic app to Smartthings app, any changes we need to know about how pairing Schlage to the hub?

Because I’m having some trouble. For one, if I’m “successful” in pairing, I get a generic “Z-Wave Device” with no functions or device id.

Try these troubleshooting steps here:

1 Like

Thanks for replying.

I think I got it to finally work; or at least, I got it paired. Although, I do have some related questions.

To bypass all my previous frustrated attempts, I finally decided to find the QR code to pair. That made things really easy and quick, rather than pairing through pressing a button like one would do with Bluetooth.

I had my Schlage replaced through lifetime warranty a while ago. I think this lock might be a newer model or something, because it has an “enroll button” which I’m not sure how it works.

So here’s a preliminary question: I have my Universal DTH install and my LUM configured (some changes made through keypad, like code length). BUT my Schlage Alarm Mode & Sensitivity smart app won’t recognize my lock because: “[It’s] NOT USING THE ‘Universal Enhanced Z-Wave Lock with Alarms’ DEVICE HANDLER, PLEASE REMOVE THE LOCK FROM THE MONITOR LIST OR UPDATE THE DEVICE HANDLER!”

I’ve updated my DTH a few times, but the same message shows up. I’m not sure whether I want to unpair the lock unless I know what’s causing the incompatibility.

Yes it’s a the newer Zwave Plus model. The button is basically a short cut to start the pairing process

If you’re using the Schlage Alarm and Sensitivity app, it requires the advanced device handler. If you have already installed the device handler you just need to assign it to your lock from the IDE. See the device handler installation instructions after step 9 on how to assign a device handler.

1 Like