FAQ: Confused by "Regular" Hub and "ADT" SmartThings Hub. Need clarification (2019)

That makes perfect sense to me, but following along on that logic, there’s one more bit of bad news.

Remember that I said that smartThings is in the middle of a big transition right now? New hub, new app, new cloud platform.

The new cloud platform isn’t finished yet, but it’s very different.

Right now, just as anyone can write a custom device type handler and add it to their own account, anyone can write a “smart app” in the groovy programming language, add it to their own account, and it will run on SmartThings servers in the SmartThings cloud.

Anything that you “publish to yourself,” including ADT tools 2, is right now written in groovy and running in that cloud.

All of that is going away. We don’t know exactly when, but we do know that it is. :disappointed_relieved:

replacing it is a completely new structure where each developer has to host their own code and then communicate with smartthings through a REST API. That should greatly reduce the processing load on the SmartThings cloud, but it also means that all the great stuff which is already written won’t work anymore. There won’t be a groovy cloud left to run the code. And it’s not at all clear that custom code will have access to the same system variables that it has access to today. We just don’t know yet.

So when that day comes a lot of the stuff that was running won’t run. Maybe some of the developers will have their own servers and either freely or by subscription make that available to other people. Maybe individual customers who want to run custom code will have to operate their own servers. Again, we just don’t know yet.

So if you really want to futureproof your system as much as possible right now, not only should you stick to the new app: you should stick to the new official features. Don’t use anything which requires custom code, even if it “works” with the new app after you install it via the classic app.

And if you really want to evaluate the SmartThings system compared to your own needs, you should evaluate it on the basis of just the official features.

If you’re a coder and you think you will be using the new platform, here’s a discussion thread on that:

But if you’re buying the ADT/smartthings hub model because the official features are insufficient for your needs but you think the community – developed ADT Tools custom code will fill in the gaps, you’re relying on the old groovy platform. So you just need to be aware of that.

I don’t know if @Mavrrick58 is already working on a version that will work on the new platform or not, and if so, whether he expects to host it for everyone or whether he expects each person to run their own server. And I’m not sure at all whether he can make it work on the new platform because of the changes in exposed variables. Obviously those answers could make a difference as well.