Esp8266 passthrough

This is an interesting idea from hackaday…

I wonder how difficult it would be to get something like this constructed and connected to ST. That would allow for all kinds of USB things to be controllable for very little cost.

4 Likes

What other kinds of USB things are you thinking you would want to control with ST? remember, this is a hard-shutdown of the power applied to the device. Basically creating a USB sonoff device. If you want to control LED strips with an ESP8266, I can think of much better ways to do it than this and they provide full dimming/color control, not just on/off. Personally, I wouldn’t go through the trouble of building this unit for what you’re going to get out of it. The components are going to cost you a bunch and assembly is gonna be a PITA.

This would be good for the LED bias lighting plugged into my TV’s USB port so it would only come on after sunset. Or to control the charging of a phone. Or to control simple cupboard lights.

That’s what I was thinking as well. Super cheap under-cabinet or bias lights, using the current USB-powered ones that you can cut to size.

Unless there are cheaper options, which is entirely possible.

A Sonoff Basic comes to mind. That’s what I’m using to control my under cabinet lighting. Hard to get cheaper than them.