WS2812B LED strips

Hi,
I’m new to SmartThings and need some help and direction. I would like to install some LED strips to my hall that are triggered by a sensor connected to my SmartThings Hub. I would like to be able to play with the settings of what they lights do and when after I have installed them, and I’d like to be able to control them through the SmartThings hub. I have found a few videos on YouTube, but they are mainly around Home assist and MQTT, I have no history of coding etc (other than following a YouTube video on flashing a Sonoff basic switch).
Could anyone point me in the right direction on where to start and also maybe suggest what would be best to control them with with (ESP8266 NodeMCU etc.)

Thanks

I have 3 strip which I control with an ESP8266 running a program called McLighting. It is pretty solid and works rather well. I think build a simulated minimore with 10 buttons for ST. When one of those buttons is pressed I have a WebCore piston which in turn issues the HTTP GET command to the strip to perform the light effect that I want. It’s a VERY around the backdoor method to get it to work but it’s only one NeoPixel or addressable LED method I have found in many, many hours of searches. I would suggest you check out McLighting in the link above first. There is also a web interface but it’s not that great. The wiki is really good though. The guy who own the repo is working on a new version with a completely new interface which should be really great.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan

Can you PM me or post the http-get statement that you are using? I was trying to create a basic device Handler based off my existing one used for standard analog RGB lighting that did exactly this but I’m having trouble formatting the request into something the McLighting will accept.