Error troubleshooting

I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot a problem for new user that downloaded my smartapp. I don’t know where to start helping him because I am not sure what error is being reported. What steps do I do to figure out what he is doing wrong?

Continuing the discussion from [RELEASE] 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat:

1 Like

I suggest using a Skype or Google Hangout session so you can do screen sharing, frankly. It’s sometimes the quickest way.

One not uncommon issue is for the user to be pasting the code for a DTH into the new SmartApp page, or vice versa!

1 Like

HELP Can anyone point me in the right direction please? @slagle

Is the ST messing with me but this error is totally out of my league and I need some direction

It helps, please, to share the entire code of the SmartApp or Device Type Handler.

Be sure to highlight and format it using the code icon on the editor toolbar (</>).

Thanks for helping. I’m kind of new to ST developing so I’m sorry but I am not exactly sure what you are asking me to share? Where is this “Be sure to highlight and format it using the code icon on the editor toolbar” Is there an example you can point me to so I do this for you?

This is where the entire smartapp code info is located including the GitHub link. I hope that is what you are asking?

Do you have all the proper meta data in the “Definition” section?

I believe I do. But you do bring up an interesting point. For some reason when I look in the IDE and I look at the App Settings, in Category I get “Choose a Category” but I entered in My Apps in the Definition section? So something must not be right there as well?

/*
   Virtual Thermostat for 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Control
   Copyright 2016 Dale Coffing

This smartapp provides automatic control of Low, Medium, High speeds of a ceiling fan using 
   any temperature sensor with optional motion override. 
   It requires two hardware devices; any temperature sensor and a dimmer type smart fan controller
   such as the GE 12730 or Leviton VRF01-1LX

Change Log
  2016-06-03 modified the 3 second startup to 1 for low speed
  2016-5-30 added dynamicPages for user guide, combined version data with aboutPage parameters which
  			gives a larger icon image then if used alone in paragraph mode.
  2016-5-19 code clean up only
  2016-5-17 fanDiffTemp input changed to use enum with preselected values to overcome range:"0.1..2.0" bug
  2016-5-16 fixed typo with motion to motionSensor in hasBeenRecentMotion()
            fixed IDE integration with ST by making another change to file name specifics.
  2016-5-15 fixed fan differenial decimal point error by removing range: "1..99", removed all fanDimmer.setLevel(0)
 	         added iconX3Url, reworded preferences, rename evaluate to tempCheck for clarity,
 	         best practices to utilize initialize() method & replace motion with motionSensor,
  2016-5-14 Fan temperature differential variable added, best practices to change sensor to tempSensor,
  2016-5-13 best practices to replace ELSE IF for SWITCH statements on fan speeds, removed emergency temp control
  2016-5-12 added new icons for 3SFC, colored text in 3SFC125x125.png and 3sfc250x250.png
  2016-5-6  (e)minor changes to text, labels, for clarity, (^^^e)default to NO-Manual for thermostat mode 
  2016-5-5c clean code, added current ver section header, allow for multiple fan controllers,
            replace icons to ceiling fan, modify name from Control to Thermostat
  2016-5-5b @krlaframboise change to bypasses the temperatureHandler method and calls the tempCheck method
            with the current temperature and setpoint setting
  2016-5-5  autoMode added for manual override of auto control/*
  2016-5-4b cleaned debug logs, removed heat-cool selection, removed multiple stages
  2016-5-3  fixed error on not shutting down, huge shout out to my bro Stephen Coffing in the logic formation 

Known Behavior from original Virtual Thermostat code
  -(fixed) when SP is updated, temp control isn't evaluated immediately, an event must trigger like change in temp, motion
  - if load is previously running when smartapp is loaded, it isn't evaluated immediately to turn off when SP>CT

Thanks to @krlaframboise, @MikeMaxwell for help in solving issues for a first time coder. @MichaelS for icon background

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
   in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at: www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
   on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
   for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/
definition(
    name: "3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat",
    namespace: "dcoffing",
    author: "Dale Coffing",
    description: "Automatic control for 3 Speed Ceiling Fan using Low, Medium, High speeds with any temperature sensor.",
    category: "My Apps",
	iconUrl: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft125x125.png", 
   	iconX2Url: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft250x250.png",
	iconX3Url: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft250x250.png",
)

preferences {
	page(name: "mainPage")
    page(name: "aboutPage")
}

def mainPage() {
  dynamicPage(name: "mainPage", title: "Select your devices and settings", install: true, uninstall: true){

section("Select a temperature sensor to control the fan..."){
		input "tempSensor", "capability.temperatureMeasurement",
        	multiple:false, title: "Temperature Sensor", required: true 
	}
	section("Select the ceiling fan control hardware..."){
		input "fanDimmer", "capability.switchLevel", 
	    	multiple:false, title: "Fan Control device", required: true
	}
	section("Enter the desired room temperature (ie 72.5)..."){
		input "setpoint", "decimal", title: "Room Setpoint Temp", required: true
	}
	section("Enter the desired differential temp between fan speeds (default=1.0)..."){
		input "fanDiffTempString", "enum", title: "Fan Differential Temp", options: ["0.5","1.0","1.5","2.0"], required: false
	}
	section("Enable ceiling fan thermostat only if motion is detected at (optional, leave blank to not require motion)..."){
		input "motionSensor", "capability.motionSensor", title: "Select Motion device", required: false
	}
	section("Turn off ceiling fan when there's been no movement for..."){
		input "minutes", "number", title: "Minutes?", required: false
	}
	section("Select ceiling fan operating mode desired (default to 'YES-Auto'..."){
		input "autoMode", "enum", title: "Enable Ceiling Fan Thermostat?", options: ["NO-Manual","YES-Auto"], required: false
	}
    	section ("Advanced Options") {
		label title: "Assign a name", required: false
		mode title: "Set for specific mode(s)", required: false
	}

section("Version Info, User's Guide") {
// VERSION
       href (name: "aboutPage", 
       title: "3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat \n"+"Version:1.0.160603 \n"+"Copyright © 2016 Dale Coffing", 
       description: "Tap to get application information and user's guide.",
       image: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft125x125.png",
       required: false,
       page: "aboutPage"
 	   )
   	}	
    }
}

def aboutPage() {
	dynamicPage(name: "aboutPage", title: none, install: true, uninstall: true) {
     	section("User's Guide; 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat") {
        	paragraph textHelp()
 		}
	}
}

def installed() {
	log.debug "def INSTALLED with settings: ${settings}"
	initialize()
}

def updated() {
	log.debug "def UPDATED with settings: ${settings}"
	unsubscribe()
	initialize()
    handleTemperature(tempSensor.currentTemperature) //call handleTemperature to bypass temperatureHandler method 
} 

def initialize() {
	log.debug "def INITIALIZE with settings: ${settings}"
	subscribe(tempSensor, "temperature", temperatureHandler) //call temperatureHandler method when any reported change to "temperature" attribute
	if (motionSensor) {
		subscribe(motionSensor, "motion", motionHandler) //call the motionHandler method when there is any reported change to the "motion" attribute
	}   
}
                                   //Event Handler Methods                     
def temperatureHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "temperatureHandler called: $evt"	
    handleTemperature(evt.doubleValue)
	log.debug "temperatureHandler evt.doubleValue : $evt"
}

def handleTemperature(temp) {		//
	log.debug "handleTemperature called: $evt"	
	def isActive = hasBeenRecentMotion()
	if (isActive) {
		//motion detected recently
		tempCheck(temp, setpoint)
		log.debug "handleTemperature ISACTIVE($isActive)"
	}
	else {
     	fanDimmer.off()
 	}
}

def motionHandler(evt) {
	if (evt.value == "active") {
		//motion detected
		def lastTemp = tempSensor.currentTemperature
		log.debug "motionHandler ACTIVE($isActive)"
		if (lastTemp != null) {
			tempCheck(lastTemp, setpoint)
		}
	} else if (evt.value == "inactive") {		//testing to see if evt.value is indeed equal to "inactive" (vs evt.value to "active")
		//motion stopped
		def isActive = hasBeenRecentMotion()	//define isActive local variable to returned true or false
		log.debug "motionHandler INACTIVE($isActive)"
		if (isActive) {
			if (lastTemp != null) {				//lastTemp not equal to null (value never been set) 
			}
		}
		else {
     	    fanDimmer.off()
		}
	}
}

private tempCheck(currentTemp, desiredTemp)
{
	log.debug "TEMPCHECK#1(CT=$currentTemp,SP=$desiredTemp,FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,FD_LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, automode=$autoMode,FDTstring=$fanDiffTempString, FDTvalue=$fanDiffTempValue)"

//convert Fan Diff Temp input enum string to number value and if user doesn't select a Fan Diff Temp default to 1.0 
    def fanDiffTempValue = (settings.fanDiffTempString != null && settings.fanDiffTempString != "") ? Double.parseDouble(settings.fanDiffTempString): 1.0

//if user doesn't select autoMode then default to "YES-Auto"
    def autoModeValue = (settings.autoMode != null && settings.autoMode != "") ? settings.autoMode : "YES-Auto"	

def LowDiff = fanDiffTempValue*1 
    def MedDiff = fanDiffTempValue*2
    def HighDiff = fanDiffTempValue*3

log.debug "TEMPCHECK#2(CT=$currentTemp,SP=$desiredTemp,FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,FD_LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, automode=$autoMode,FDTstring=$fanDiffTempString, FDTvalue=$fanDiffTempValue)"
	if (autoModeValue == "YES-Auto") {
    	switch (currentTemp - desiredTemp) {
        	case { it  >= HighDiff }:
        		// turn on fan high speed
       			fanDimmer.setLevel(90) 
            	log.debug "HI speed(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, HighDiff=$HighDiff)"
	        break  //exit switch statement 
		case { it >= MedDiff }:
            	// turn on fan medium speed
            	fanDimmer.setLevel(60)
            	log.debug "MED speed(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, MedDiff=$MedDiff)"
                break
       		case { it >= LowDiff }:
            	// turn on fan low speed
            	if (fanDimmer.currentSwitch == "off") {		// if fan is OFF to make it easier on motor by   
            		fanDimmer.setLevel(90)					// starting fan in High speed temporarily then 
                	fanDimmer.setLevel(30, [delay: 1000])	// change to Low speed after 1 second
                	log.debug "LO speed after HI 3secs(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, LowDiff=$LowDiff)"
          		} else {
                	fanDimmer.setLevel(30)	//fan is already running, not necessary to protect motor
            	}							//set Low speed immediately
            	log.debug "LO speed immediately(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, LowDiff=$LowDiff)"
                break
		default:
            	// check to see if fan should be turned off
            	if (desiredTemp - currentTemp >= 0 ) {	//below or equal to setpoint, turn off fan, zero level
            		fanDimmer.off()
            		log.debug "below SP+Diff=fan OFF (CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,autoMode=$autoMode,)"
				} 
                log.debug "autoMode YES-MANUAL? else OFF(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,autoMode=$autoMode,)"
        }	
	}	
}

private hasBeenRecentMotion()
{
	def isActive = false
	if (motionSensor && minutes) {
		def deltaMinutes = minutes as Long
		if (deltaMinutes) {
			def motionEvents = motionSensor.eventsSince(new Date(now() - (60000 * deltaMinutes)))
			log.trace "Found ${motionEvents?.size() ?: 0} events in the last $deltaMinutes minutes"
			if (motionEvents.find { it.value == "active" }) {
				isActive = true
			}
		}
	}
	else {
		isActive = true
	}
	isActive
}

private def textHelp() {
	def text =
		"This smartapp provides automatic control of Low, Medium, High speeds of a"+
		" ceiling fan using any temperature sensor based on its' temperature setpoint"+
        " turning on each speed automatically in 1 degree differential increments."+
        " For example, if the desired room temperature setpoint is 72, the low speed"+
        " turns on first at 73, the medium speed turns on at 74, the high speed turns"+
        " on at 75. And vice versa on decreasing temperature until at 72 the ceiling"+
        " fan turns off. The differential is adjustable from 0.5 to 2.0 in half degree increments. \n\n" +
        "A notable feature is when low speed is initially requested from"+
        " the off condition, high speed is turned on briefly to overcome the startup load"+
        " then low speed is engaged. This mimics the pull chain switches that most"+
        " manufacturers use by always starting in high speed. \n\n"+
      	"A motion option turns off automatic mode when no motion is detected. A thermostat"+
        " mode option will disable the smartapp and pass control to manual control.\n\n"+
        "@ChadCK's 'Z-Wave Smart Fan Control Custom Device Handler' along with hardware"+
        " designed specifically for motor control such as the GE 12730 Z-Wave Smart Fan Control or"+
        " Leviton VRF01-1LX works well together with this smartapp."
	}

@tgauchat @slagle @krlaframboise I was able to isolate when this problem first started to appear. When I wasn’t using multiple pages the IDE simulator did not produce that cryptic error. When I made the change to using dynamic pages the error presented itself in the IDE simulator so I can’t test it anymore. I am copying the last error free version and then the dynamic page version that produces the cryptic error. Can you guys see what I did wrong in making the dynamic pages?

ERROR in this version. Remember this error only shows up when I try to use the simulator. I can save the app OK and publish it but can no longer test it in the IDE simulator.

/*

This smartapp provides automatic control of Low, Medium, High speeds of a ceiling fan using 
   It requires two hardware devices; any temperature sensor and a dimmer type smart fan controller

Change Log
  2016-5-30 added dynamicPages for instructions, icon at copyright
  2016-5-17 fanDiffTemp input changed to use enum with preselected values to overcome range:"0.1..5.0" bug
  2016-5-15 fixed fan differenial decimal point error by removing range: "1..99", removed all fanDimmer.setLevel(0)
 	         added iconX3Url, reworded preferences, rename evaluate to tempCheck for clarity,
 	         best practices to utilize initialize() method & replace motion with motionSensor,
  2016-5-14 Fan temperature differential variable added, best practices to change sensor to tempSensor,
  2016-5-13 best practices to replace ELSE IF for SWITCH statements on fan speeds, removed emergency temp control
  2016-5-12 added new icons for 3SFC, colored text in 3SFC125x125.png and 3sfc250x250.png
  2016-5-6  (e)minor changes to text, labels, for clarity, (^^^e)default to NO-Manual for thermostat mode 
  2016-5-5c clean code, added current ver section header, allow for multiple fan controllers,
  2016-5-5b @krlaframboise change to bypasses the temperatureHandler method and calls the tempCheck method
  2016-5-5  autoMode added for manual override of auto control/*
  2016-5-4b cleaned debug logs, removed heat-cool selection, removed multiple stages
  2016-5-3  fixed error on not shutting down, huge shout out to my bro Stephen Coffing in the logic formation 

-(fixed) when SP is updated, temp control isn't evaluated immediately, an event must trigger like change in temp, motion
  - if load is previously running when smartapp is loaded, it isn't evaluated immediately to turn off when SP>CT

Thanks to @krlaframboise, @MikeMaxwell for help in solving issues for a first time coder. @MichaelS for icon background

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
   in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at: www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
   on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
   for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/
definition(
    description: "Automatic control for 3 Speed Ceiling Fan using Low, Medium, High speeds with any temperature sensor.",
	iconUrl: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft125x125.png", 
   	iconX2Url: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft250x250.png",
	iconX3Url: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft250x250.png",
)

preferences {
	page(name: "mainPage")
    page(name: "aboutPage")
}

def mainPage() {
  dynamicPage(name: "mainPage", title: "Select your devices and settings", uninstall: true) {

}
	}
	}
	section("Enter the desired differential temp between fan speeds (default=1.0)..."){
		input "fanDiffTempString", "enum", title: "Fan Differential Temp", options: ["0.5","1.0","1.5","2.0"], required: false
	}
	section("Enable ceiling fan thermostat only if motion is detected at (optional, leave blank to not require motion)..."){
		input "motionSensor", "capability.motionSensor", title: "Select Motion device", required: false
	}
	}
		input "autoMode", "enum", title: "Enable Ceiling Fan Thermostat?", options: ["NO-Manual","YES-Auto"], required: false
	}
    section ("Advanced Options") {
		label title: "Assign a name", required: false
		mode title: "Set for specific mode(s)", required: false
	}

section("Version Info, Instructions") {
// VERSION
		paragraph "3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat \n"+"Version:1.0.160530 \n"+"Copyright © 2016 Dale Coffing", image: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/3scft125x125.png"

href (name: "aboutPage", 
       title: none, 
       description: "Tap to get application information and instructions.",
       image: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/dcoffing/3-speed-ceiling-fan-thermostat.src/info.png",
       required: false,
       page: "aboutPage"
  	   )
   }	
 }
}

def aboutPage() {
	dynamicPage(name: "aboutPage", title: none, install: true, uninstall: true) {
     	section("Instructions") {
        	paragraph textHelp()
 		}
	}
}

def installed() {
	initialize()
}

def updated() {
	unsubscribe()
	initialize()
    handleTemperature(tempSensor.currentTemperature) //call handleTemperature to bypass temperatureHandler method 
} 

def initialize() {
	subscribe(tempSensor, "temperature", temperatureHandler) //call temperatureHandler method when any reported change to "temperature" attribute
	if (motionSensor) {
		subscribe(motionSensor, "motion", motionHandler) //call the motionHandler method when there is any reported change to the "motion" attribute
	}   
}
                                   //Event Handler Methods                     
}

if (isActive) {
	}
	else {
     	fanDimmer.off()
 	}
}

def motionHandler(evt) {
		//motion detected
		if (lastTemp != null) {
		}
	} else if (evt.value == "inactive") {		//testing to see if evt.value is indeed equal to "inactive" (vs evt.value to "active")
		//motion stopped
		def isActive = hasBeenRecentMotion()	//define isActive local variable to returned true or false
		if (isActive) {
			}
		}
		else {
     	    fanDimmer.off()
		}
	}
}

{
	log.debug "TEMPCHECK#1(CT=$currentTemp,SP=$desiredTemp,FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,FD_LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, automode=$autoMode,FDTstring=$fanDiffTempString, FDTvalue=$fanDiffTempValue)"

//convert Fan Diff Temp input enum string to number value and if user doesn't select a Fan Diff Temp default to 1.0 
    def fanDiffTempValue = (settings.fanDiffTempString != null && settings.fanDiffTempString != "") ? Double.parseDouble(settings.fanDiffTempString): 1.0

def autoModeValue = (settings.autoMode != null && settings.autoMode != "") ? settings.autoMode : "YES-Auto"	

log.debug "TEMPCHECK#2(CT=$currentTemp,SP=$desiredTemp,FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,FD_LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, automode=$autoMode,FDTstring=$fanDiffTempString, FDTvalue=$fanDiffTempValue)"
       			fanDimmer.setLevel(90) 
            	log.debug "HI speed(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, HighDiff=$HighDiff)"
			case { it >= MedDiff }:
            	fanDimmer.setLevel(60)
            	log.debug "MED speed(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, MedDiff=$MedDiff)"
                break
       		case { it >= LowDiff }:
            	// turn on fan low speed
            	if (fanDimmer.currentSwitch == "off") {		// if fan is OFF to make it easier on motor by   
                	fanDimmer.setLevel(30, [delay: 3000])	// change to Low speed after 3 seconds
                	log.debug "LO speed after HI 3secs(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, LowDiff=$LowDiff)"
          		} else {
            	log.debug "LO speed immediately(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, LowDiff=$LowDiff)"
                break
		default:
            	if (desiredTemp - currentTemp >= 0 ) {	//below or equal to setpoint, turn off fan, zero level
            		fanDimmer.off()
            		log.debug "below SP+Diff=fan OFF (CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,autoMode=$autoMode,)"
				} 
                log.debug "autoMode YES-MANUAL? else OFF(CT=$currentTemp, SP=$desiredTemp, FD-LVL=$fanDimmer.currentLevel, FD=$fanDimmer.currentSwitch,autoMode=$autoMode,)"
        }	
	}	
}

{
	def isActive = false
		if (deltaMinutes) {
			def motionEvents = motionSensor.eventsSince(new Date(now() - (60000 * deltaMinutes)))
			log.trace "Found ${motionEvents?.size() ?: 0} events in the last $deltaMinutes minutes"
				isActive = true
			}
		}
	}
	else {
		isActive = true
	}
	isActive
}

private def textHelp() {
	def text =
		"This smartapp provides automatic control of Low, Medium, High speeds of a"+
		" ceiling fan using any temperature sensor based on its' temperature setpoint"+
        " turning on each speed automatically in 1 degree differential increments (adjustable)."+
        " For example, if the desired room temperature setpoint is 72, the low speed"+
        " turns on first at 73, the medium speed turns on at 74, the high speed turns"+
        " on at 75. And vice versa on decreasing temperature until at 72 the ceiling"+
        " fan turns off. \n\n" +
        "A notable feature is when low speed is initially requested from"+
        " the off condition, high speed is turned on briefly to overcome the startup load"+
        " then low speed is engaged. This mimics the pull chain switches that most"+
        " manufacturers use by always starting in high speed. \n\n"+
      	"A motion option turns off automatic mode when no motion is detected. A thermostat"+
        " mode option will disable the smartapp and pass control to manual control.\n\n"+
        "@ChadCK's 'Z-Wave Smart Fan Control Custom Device Handler' along with hardware"+
        " designed specifically for motor control such as the GE 12730 Z-Wave Smart Fan Control or"+
        " Leviton VRF01-1LX works well together with this smartapp."
	}

I thought it might help to show the version that worked in the IDE Simulator.
This version below does NOT produce the error. This was the version that doesn’t use multiple pages.

/*

Change Log
  2016-5-17 fanDiffTemp input changed to use enum with preselected values to overcome range:"0.1..5.0" bug
  2016-5-5  autoMode added for manual override of auto control

Thanks to @krlaframboise, @MikeMaxwell for help and knowledge in solving issues for a first time coder.

*/
definition(
)

preferences {
	}
	}
	}
	}
	}
	}
	}
	section ("3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat;   Version:1.0.160519") { } //ver format 1.0.YYMMDD
}

def installed() {
	initialize()
}

def updated() {
	unsubscribe()
	initialize()
} 

def initialize() {
	if (motionSensor) {
	}   
}
                                   //Event Handler Methods                     
}

if (isActive) {
	}
	else {
     	fanDimmer.off()
 	}
}

def motionHandler(evt) {
		//motion detected
		if (lastTemp != null) {
		}
		//motion stopped
		if (isActive) {
			}
		}
		else {
     	    fanDimmer.off()
		}
	}
}

{

//  log.debug "fanDiffTempValue BEFORE convert String (FDTstring=$fanDiffTempString, FDTvalue=$fanDiffTempValue)"
	//  log.debug "fanDiffTempValue AFTER convert String (FDTstring=$fanDiffTempString, FDTvalue=$fanDiffTempValue)"  

fanDimmer.setLevel(90) 
			case { it >= MedDiff }:
            	fanDimmer.setLevel(60)
                break
       		case { it >= LowDiff }:
            	// turn on fan low speed
                	fanDimmer.setLevel(30, [delay: 3000])	// change to Low speed after 3 seconds
          		} else {
                break
		default:
            		fanDimmer.off()
				} 
        }	//end of switch statement
	}	// end of IF (autoModeValue...
}

{
	def isActive = false
		if (deltaMinutes) {
     //    log.debug "HASBEENRECENTMOTION ($deltaMinutes, $motionEvents, $motion.eventsSince, $deltaMinutes)"
				isActive = true
			}
		}
	}
	else {
		isActive = true
	}
	isActive
}

I don’t know how to paste the code up here correctly? I see in my previous post the raw code doesn’t just show the text?

After pasting the code, select it all and use the </> button, which is located right above the text box next to the Bold, Italic, Link and Quote buttons.

Thanks @krlaframboise ! You teach me something new all the time :smile:

So this is what @tgauchat was trying to tell me in this earlier post?! :grinning: I just didn’t realize where in the world that was until Kevin called out “Bold, Italic, Link and Quote buttons” that I knew where to start looking, I feel like a ditz. :confounded:

The simulator is not worth the trouble and exhibits many quirks and failures.

Testing using the Mobile App is always recommended, so if that works, ignore the sim problems.

1 Like

I think you are absolutely correct! After pouring over the code and not finding anything wrong I started testing a little more deliberatley.

The simulator runs just fine as long as I don’t use any of the dynamic pages and make a change there. So apparently the IDE simulator doesn’t handle dynamicPages well? The app is running fine (except for the Mode control)

I posted another question on that. I wonder if that is another “bug” in ST in that if you change the Mode when does ST evaluate that change? I set the smartapp to run in only Home mode and when it changes to Night it is continuing to still run?

It depends on how the SmartApp is written.

There’s a built-in mode filter which, I think will even prevent scheduled or subscription methods from firing.

If the developer doesn’t use that, then they need to check the Mode in each subscription called method… Because it might have changed.

That is good to know. Can you take a look at my posted question and see if I am using the one you are talking about?