Field error in object 'physicalgraph.device.Device' on field 'name': rejected value [null]; codes with SmartApp

Playing around with writing simple smartApps and I’ve run into a problem, "Field error in object ‘physicalgraph.device.Device’ on field ‘name’: rejected value [null]; codes ". I’ve narrowed down the problem to this:
section(“Door to open”) {
input “myGarageDoor”, “capability.garageDoorControl” required: true, title: “Garage Door”
}

If I change “capability.garageDoorControl” to "capability.switch"it works fine. The documentation I’m following http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#garage-door-control indicates that what I’ve got is right.

Found this thread that pointed me in the right direction

Apparently, a virtual device cannot be used for capabliity.garageDoorOpener. If I selected an actual device, it worked fine. Bug in the IDE I presume?

First off, thank you! 2nd this is true BS, not so much that it doesn’t work, but how ridiculous the goat-rope here is. I’m sitting here for months trying to understand what is wrong with such a non intuitive ridiculous error response only to confirm via your thread here! Thought I heard some awesome person was now over-seeing the IDE, thank you for that!
BTW, this applies to capability.doorControl as well!