Envisalink EVL4 vs NuTech AD2USB / AD2PI

Hello,

I have an alarm system at home that I would like to connect to SmartThings (DSC unit with a few sensors).

While shopping around, I came to 2 devices that would work:

• Envisalink 4
  • NuTech AD2PI / AD2USB

Does anyone have first hand experience with these? Are you satisfied with your setup?
What are the pros/cons of each device?

thank you

I don’t know the NuTech, but I have the Envisalink (and many others on this forum, judging from the discussions relating to the device.)
The Envisalink does all I need (for home use) and more. Using it with @Xero 's device handlers and smart app, I’m super happy with what it can do.
Look at this thread: DSC -> EVL-3(4) -> Alarmserver -> Smartthings, and especially the last few posts. You will however have to get something like a Raspberry Pi to run an app “AlarmServer” to accomplish the integration with ST.

I might go with Envisalink. They have a larger userbase, which makes me home the software is more refined

I had good success with the AD2Pi with my Vista 20p system. I can control the system through ST and also have access to the keypad from any browser for remote access/programming. Setup was straight forward and I actually had a Pi already which I used so in my case it was about $40 less for the AD2Pi.

I have a ad2usb attached to a pi. Works great and was an easy setup. Also the integration with ST is excellent. No complaints here.

Hi @jjslegacy - I am new here and I am evaluating switching from HomeSeer to SmartThings. One of the key functionality for me is integrating my Vista20p alarm into SmartThings as I currently do with HomeSeer. I also have AD2USB and would love to get some help/info on how to set it up in SmartThings please. I have done some reading on the forum and understand that we need to jump through hoops to get it setup since USB port on the ST hub is non-functional. I currently have AD2USB connected to a PC that runs 24x7 (same server I have Blue Iris on). I also have a couple of Raspberry Pis around if it is easier. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated… I am really lost after reading some of the threads here. Thanks

Check out the thread below for a working integration. You’ll need to run a server in the middle - you can use a Pi for that or a PC.

Thanks, I actually did try to follow that thread. It seemed pretty straight forward but the npm run install:ad2usb command throws a ton of errors when I run it:

C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy>npm run install:ad2usb

smartthings-nodeproxy@1.0.0 install:ad2usb C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy
npm install && npm install serialport@5.0.0

audited 159 packages in 4.531s
found 0 vulnerabilities

serialport@5.0.0 install C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download(404): https://github.com/EmergingTechnologyAdvisors/node-serialport/releases/download/5.0.0/serialport-v5.0.0-node-v64-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for serialport@5.0.0 and node@10.15.0 (node-v64 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download(undefined): https://github.com/EmergingTechnologyAdvisors/node-serialport/releases/download/5.0.0/serialport-v5.0.0-node-v64-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for serialport@5.0.0 and node@10.15.0 (node-v64 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Can’t find Python executable “python”, you can set the PYTHON env variable.
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder.failNoPython (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:484:19)
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder. (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:509:16)
gyp ERR! stack at C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\graceful-fs\polyfills.js:284:29
gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:154:21)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.17134
gypgyp ERR! command “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” “configure” “–fallback-to-build” “–module=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node” “–module_name=serialport” “–module_path=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release”
ERR! gypconfigure error
ERR! cwd C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
gyp gypERR! node -vERR! v10.15.0
gyp ERR! stacknode-gyp -v Error: Can’t find Python executable “python”, you can set the PYTHON env variable.
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder.failNoPython (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:484:19)
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder. (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:509:16)
gyp ERR! stack at C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\graceful-fs\polyfills.js:284:29
gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:154:21)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.17134
gyp ERR! command “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” “configure” “–fallback-to-build” “–module=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node” “–module_name=serialport” “–module_path=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release”
gyp ERR! cwd C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
gyp ERR! node -v v10.15.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0
gyp ERR! not ok v3.8.0

gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute ‘C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node --module_name=serialport --module_path=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release’ (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\node_modules\node-pre-gyp\lib\util\compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:182:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:962:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:251:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.17134
node-pre-gyp ERR! command “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\node_modules\node-pre-gyp\bin\node-pre-gyp” “install” “–fallback-to-build”
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v10.15.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.6.36
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute ‘C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node --module_name=serialport --module_path=C:\home\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release’ (1)
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! serialport@5.0.0 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the serialport@5.0.0 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

Probably best to post in that thread.

Thanks, I just did. The only reason I asked here is because @jjslegacy mentioned he has AD2USB running with no issues. It seems that EVL4 is more common and kinks are worked out for it, but I already have AD2USB so trying to use that without buying a new interface.