Enbrighten new Zigbee 3.0 devices (May 2020)

I recently got two Enbrighten Zigbee light dimmer switches. I got them to pair with my SmartThings hub without any problem (single pole installations). However, the switches won’t turn on the lights (recessed cans) either with the physical rocker or via the SmartThings app. In the app, I can turn on/off and the LED indicator on the switches would function as expected, but no lights come on. My previous switches were non-smart Lutron dimmers.

Anyone has any ideas how to get them to work or are they just simply not compatible with my recessed cans somehow? I’m pretty sure my wiring is correct. It’s dead simple, especially with the auto line/load detection. Thanks!

Highly unlikely that both switches would be bad…sounds like something isn’t wired correctly between the switch and the light. I’m assuming you did check the bulbs?

1 Like

yeah, I swapped one of the bulbs with a different brand from another location but still didn’t work. This is basically my wiring in the box.

This is certainly possible. I’ve got “canless cans”, new LED fixtures that don’t have removable bulbs.

I had issues with the GE Enbrighten 2 Z-wave dimmers. They would either not dim at all or would start flickering.

I have one of the Zigbee 3.0 dimmers which works fine, though. As do all my Zooz and Leviton dimmers.

You might try a Zooz ZEN27 Z-wave dimmer. Or I’ve read that Leviton now has a Zigbee line.

Or temporarily try a switch rather than a dimmer.

Yes … I called Jasco Support today and they said it would be possible that their dimmers could not operate my recessed cans. The rep said they knew of issues but didn’t have a list of manufactures/models to share.

I ended up ordering a Leviton Zigbee dimmer to give it a shot. Will probably be returning the Enbrighten ones since I have no use for them. I’m bummed because I really like the slimmer form factor.

2 Likes

Definitely agree there. I’ve got three of them in a 3-gang box that involves two different circuits. So lots of wiring in the box. The smaller bodies made it a breeze.

this enbrighten zigbee switch just isnt working … i add it using the specific device in Add Device enbrighten zigbee switch 43076 [not using QR code] and am using v2 hub … it just says ‘can’t find device’ … but when i go to the smartthings app homepage it shows up at the bottom for some reason but with a slash through the cloud, and i can turn it on and off… how can it add the device without saying it was added?! and why does the cloud have a slash through it? in the IDE the device ID just shows AAAA … any suggestions anyone?

also even though the classic app doesnt work anymore, i went into it and added a device and this switch showed up FINE in there, before the app locked and said i can’t use it anymore. nothing i do in the new app lets me add this device… i add it then nothing happens, then somehow it shows up in my device list by says it’s offline, yet i can turn it on off. any help would be REALLY appreciated.

I have three of the new GE Zigbee 3.0 devices. Got them probably 3 or 4 months ago.

I added them using the current app (time to stop calling it the new app, I think).

I used the Scan Nearby button, not the QR code and not by selecting the brand, etc.

I have dimmers and switches, one of the devices added with a type of “Thing” and I had to correct the device type using the IDE.

i tried that. it says it can’t find anything. this is so frustrating… it doesn’t find anything, yet it adds ‘enbrighten switch’ to smartthings, and i see the light blink on the switch to show that is has paired… and it has a broken cloud icon, but i can turn it on and off through the app.

what hub are you using? i have the 2015 one i believe, the 2nd generation one with smartthings on the top and it says STH-ETH-200 on the bottom.

Same hub. The only one with batteries.

Try doing a reset on the dimmer, then turn off the breaker and start over.

1. Manual says to tap the upper paddle 10 times quickly to reset the device.
  2. Then remove power at the breaker.
  3. Use the app to get scan mode started
  4. Turn the breaker back on. Dimmer should go into pairing mode and be discovered within a minute or so.

Only other thing I can think of is that the dimmer might be out of range. How far is it to the hub and what other non-battery Zigbee devices do you have?

ok, i just tapped the switch 10 times to reset it.

i don’t see any blue blinking LED on this switch to show that it is in pairing mode BTW… did you see that?

after i reset it the LED is turned off. then if i add a device, and go into enbrighten and select the exact device from the menu and try to pair, the blue LED blinks 3 times then turns solid, but smartthings says no devices found… and shows AAAA for device ID in the IDE.

if i go into smartthings and add device, then select nearby scan, nothing shows up, but i see the LED on the switch go from off to solid blue. after smartthings says no devices found, i see the device at the bottom of my things list and can turn it on/off, but it has a slash through the cloud and says it is offline.

any suggestions?

when yours is ready to be paired does the blue LED blink? mine doesnt even after i do a 10 times reset.

the dimmer is like 20 feet from the hub. it lets me turn it on and off through the app, but says offline, even though smartthings scan says no devices found.

i’ll try what you suggested now…

so i did the 10 times reset, then breaker off then back on, and scanning… the LED goes from off to solid blue, then smartthings says cant find any devices… then it shows up in my things list by offline [yet i can still turn it on and off from the app]

there are others seeing offline issues so possible there is a cloud/backend issue…

but smartthings can’t even discover the device, but somehow it gets added?! says no new devices found but still gets added. smartthings is just getting so bad … every week something breaks.

oddly enough it says it’s online in the IDE, but shows as offline in the app.

i dont get it!

i tried to install a new light switch, an older model of GE JASCO switch, and this one also says ‘offline’ and when i try to add it to smartthings, and it doesnt show up, but somehow is added to my things.

It’s a platform wide issue right now. :disappointed_relieved:

It’s not just you. This has now been posted to the status page as well.

1 Like

it suddenly shows up as ONLINE now and works.

2 Likes

It’s hell when you’re working on your network when there’s a platform issue!

2 Likes