Electric Baseboard thermostat control via ST

Thanks for the update @gouroufui. Do you have any info on timing for the “off mode” capable version of the STZW402+? Will existing units be upgradable or is this going to be a new model? Everything works great with the test unit I have now, except that I need the ability to turn it completely off before I outfit the entire house with 10-15 of them. I have exactly the same use case as @CNS2GO above.

Hi @dparring,

For now, there is no committed timing for the Off mode.
One thing’s for sure: The STZW402+ is not upgradable over the air.
Therefore, if the thermostat is going to have the new features, it would be a new model.
Usually, Stelpro launches its new product at the end of summer.

Stay tuned.

Looking forward to it, thanks again @gouroufui

Hello,

I have a RadioThermostat CT32. When I search for a new z-wave device, it pops up under this Stelpro Ki Thermostat device handler. Because of this, I’m not able to get the cooling control on my home thermostat.

Does anyone know how I can get around this and add it is a standard generic thermostat, or, failing that, would I be able to obtain the source code for this device handler and add the cooling functions that I need?

Thank You very much

Brandon

Hi @bdockery81,

The SmartThings platform allows you to change the device handler detected for every device that you have.
In order to do so, you need to login here: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/

From there do the following:

1. go into “My devices”
  2. select your CT32 thermostat
  3. scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click “Edit”
  4. Change the “Type” field to another device handler like “Z-Wave Thermostat”
  5. Click “Update”
  6. Check back in the SmartThings app, the new device handler should be displayed instead of the Stelpro’s.

Thank You!

If I’m not looking for off mode or forced air support is there any reason to wait for a new version of the Stelpro?

No, if these new features are not of interest to you, there is no reason to wait for the a new version.

Hi J-F,

I purchased a couple more Stelpro thermostats and I was reviewing my setup. Last winter, I was using RuleMachine to change the mode between comfort and eco. Since RuleMachine isnt on the map anymore (no more support/new versions), I installed CORE, which is the new smartapp to develop automation rules.

I struggle doing the same rule with CORE… with RuleMachine, I was sending the command “SetThermostatMode” eco/comfort… with CORE, the only command I see would be “switchMode”. I tried to use that one with the string value “eco” but no luck… Any idea? I see the “Set ThermostatMode” in CORE, but the only selectable modes are “OFF/auto/cool/Heat/Emergency Heat”.

thanks,

Eric

Hi Rick,

The “SetThermostatMode” command is the right one to use.
However, if the “eco” choice is not there or if there is custom option, then you would need to contact the CORE developpers to ask them to implement a custom field.

Otherwise, you will not be able to switch the mode to Eco automatically.

You said that RuleMachine isn’t on the map anymore, but you could still use it, do you?
On my side, I still have it on my device.

Hi,

I sent a message in a CORE thread… We will see what happens.

Regarding RuleMachine, it still works if it’s installed… There is no more development nor support tho. The new engine is now CORE to make custom automation rules.

Thanks

Hi @gouroufui, not sure if you are the developer behind the Stelpro thermostat, but according to ST’s documentation, this is what setThermostatMode does:

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#thermostat-mode

The available values for that command are “emergency heat”, “heat”, “cool”, “off”, and “auto”.

If the DTH had a custom command too, CoRE could use it, but generally, it sticks with the documentation.

Is there any way you can just add a second command stub which simply calls your setThermostatMode?

def setCustomThermostatMode(mode) {
   setThermostatMode(mode)
}

Then CoRE can use the setCustomThermostatMode without breaking the documentation requirement.

Thank you

Hi @ady624,

Yes, the use of SetCustomThermostatMode() method could be done.
I do not know when SmartThings is planning to update my device handler, I made a publication request 6 months ago…

Hi,

Ok, I’m glad to see that you two got in touch… Ady was helping me setting the mode using CORE…

You did some change to your DH, that’s why you’re waiting on the publication?

Yes, there are some changes from last February that has not been pushed yet…

Oh, well…

What were the changes?

Also, do you think you could add eco() and comfort() as commands and get ST to update your DH? Since “eco” and “comfort” arent a default capabilities for the setThermostatMode, it’s not possible to add it to ST documentation nor CoRE.

Thanks

Yes, I will make a new publication request with these features.
The changes were some UI fix.

1 Like

Allright, sounds good! Keep me posted when you’ll have news from ST.

Any updates on the new products from Stelpro - specifically the electric baseboard model that supports full off mode? Winter is coming…

Hi @dparring,

Yes there are news.
The Z-Wave thermostat will stay the same.

On the bright side Stelpro just released a ZigBee thermostat which has the Off mode and supports Fan-forced Heaters.

This is basically the same thermostat (same look and format) but with a ZigBee antenna and added features.

However, the new ZigBee thermostat is still not available online, but it will be in weeks to come on Amazon