Edgebridge

Good new/bad news: I think the latest firmware update broke something. I set up a test, and there is something that’s not working right. I don’t know if it has to do with the problems you are seeing, but it has to do with the Edge driver socket server. It doesn’t seem to be working right and the result is that it is hanging edgebridge when it tries to forward a message. This would affect multiple drivers potentially… ugh.

Give me some time to look at this and I’ll keep you posted. No sense you doing anything more until I get this figured out.

@TAustin My hub got an update at 2023-01-19 8:12 PM UTC, which is when phonepresence stopped working for me as well as a custom LAN Device Trigger. The POST requests to the hub simply hang and timeout. Hopefully you are able to figure out how to fix it. Awesome work!

Notice to everyone: it appears that a recent firmware update has broken something. I’m working on this now.

This may affect anyone using these drivers in combination with Edgebridge:

LAN Motion
LAN Presence
LAN Trigger

…and possibly others.

Really sorry for the problems. I’m hoping to find a fix ASAP.

3 Likes

luckily my hub firmware hasn’t been updated yet.
martin

I see it’s not working on my end. According to my notification, Edgebridge went down around 12:37 PM Pacific time on my end.

NOTICE OF DRIVER UPDATES

As I mentioned above and some of you have found out the hard way, there seems to be a change in the socket library in recent firmware updates that has resulted in communications no longer working between edgebridge and the Edge driver. (TMI for most, but it appears to be in the Thread:register_socket method.)

I will take this issue up with the SmartThings staff, but in the meantime, in order to get things working again I had to make some code changes in the following drivers:

• LAN Motion
  • LAN Presence
  • LAN Contact
  • LAN Trigger
  • LAN Trigger Multi

Not everyone has experienced these issues yet, so you may not see any change with these updates. But for those that have reported their motion or presence no longer being triggered, hopefully this will fix that.

I found in my testing that there are some cases where this problem may cause your edgebridge app to get ‘stuck’. There are no tell-tail messages in the log output, so you won’t know just by looking at the log. So if after the driver updates, you are still having problems or your edgebridge app seems to be locked up, you should restart it.

For example on Linux:

sudo systemctl restart edgebridge

If you are running it in a terminal window or command prompt window, then just Ctrl-c/Ctrl-break out of it and restart it again.

I hope this averts this particular crisis. Please let me know if things are working ok.

Updated Driver Version:

• LAN Motion: 2023-01-20T03:47:56.851493131
  • LAN Presence: 2023-01-20T02:33:08.995070848
  • LAN Contact: 2023-01-20T02:32:05.857988899
  • LAN Trigger: 2023-01-20T02:34:21.891553353
  • LAN Trigger Multi: 2023-01-20T02:35:13.299727792
1 Like

Appreciate it - I restarted it, still offline.

Be sure you get the driver updates first. If you still have the earlier ones, they can just hang edgebrige up if edgebridge tries to send anything to the hub.

Sorry, it’s been a while, the driver updates are automatic through you, right?

Yes, I’ve pushed them all out and they should be reaching your hubs and getting automatically updated soon.

Everything working for me again since 7AM UTC. :raised_hands:

1 Like

I just set this up and everything seems to be working. Has anyone experimented with sending data the other direction. With the previous integration I could update Blue Iris profiles based on the Security status in Smarthings. Arm (stay), Arm (away) and Disarmed. This seems a little more complicated then what the bridge does today. I guess it would have to be more specific to blue iris itself

You, my friend, are looking for [ST Edge] Web Requestor: a driver to issue local POST and GET HTTP requests. It should have the ability to do what you need using the BI API. I currently use it to restart a camera once I’ve turned the smart switch on.

If you get stuck, I may be able to help!

well my hub updated today and so far everything is working great,edgebridge/ phone prescence etc
martin

1 Like