Ecolink door window sensors on my basement windows.. false alarms...some are on a weekly basis

Did not know about a support ticket

The devices do work fine when near the hub

There giving false positives then I canā€™t do anything with them until I pull the batteries then run a z wave repair

Itā€™s really weird that after the sensor reads openā€¦even with another magnet,I canā€™t get it to read closed again

How do I submit a support ticket and who is it tooā€¦smartthings ??? Sorry for dumb question but just an electrician with an obsession with automationā€¦not much of a programmer

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

You can try a chat to see if there are any quick fixes, like pushing down new Device Handlers for zwave contacts.

How long have these been in place? Batteries good? The comment about not reporting close again makes me think it may be a battery issue.

I bought these sensors in February ā€¦unless they came with bab batteriesā€¦how long should they lastā€¦maybe Iā€™ll change the batteries in the ones that fail and see

I bought my hub and got a door sensor with it back in Feb too. Just had to change the battery last weekendā€¦although i should have changed it earlier. :slight_smile:

Ordering batteries as we speak

Should last a while, but if there was a weak mesh maybe burned through them. If you open/close often that will burn through them more.

Its about 6 months, a little short of the 6 years they advertise. I figure they should last about a year, but they donā€™t report battery status to ST (say 100% on all of them). I should check mine, I rarely use the windows and been installed for 8 months.

1 Like

Weak mesh sounds possibleā€¦Iā€™ve only added them extender in that room a couple of weeks agoā€¦so they weak mesh would of been stressing there batteries for 4 or 5 monthsā€¦Im getting batteries delivered in a couple days and Iā€™m going to change all of my window and door sensors. hopefully that solves my problemā€¦thanks againā€¦Iā€™ll post

So after rereading http://blog.smartthings.com/iot101/a-guide-to-wireless-range-repeaters/...I discovered that everyone in my house has been using 2.4g wifiā€¦and rukuā€¦in the room in questionā€¦so switched to 5.0 WiFi and for the last 3 days havenā€™t had any issuesā€¦the batteries came in but I havenā€™t changed them because all of a sudden my sensors have reading on the devices which they did not have before most batteries read at least 95%ā€¦most still at 99%ā€¦so Iā€™m hoping this was a interference problem that a was havingā€¦only time will tellā€¦thanks again for all help

1 Like

Zwave operates at 900 ghz, so there should have not been bleed over.

What DH are you using? I would love mine to report battery levels.

So after changing all of the batteries and rebooting the hub and letting it all sit Un powered for 2 hoursā€¦then after reading booting the hub and reinstalling all the batteries in all of the sensoresā€¦it all seemed OK againā€¦then just 2 days later an alarm ā€¦and then hours after that a different sensor into alarmā€¦all in the same areas as beforeā€¦I donā€™t get it

Again an alarm notice is sent to the hub and the sensor just does nothing ā€¦only way to reset is to pull the batteriesā€¦same as beforeā€¦Iā€™ve had to remove all the basement sensors from Smart house monitorā€¦cause Iā€™m tired of the alarmsā€¦not much of an alarm system with half of my windows unsensoredā€¦what to doā€¦ $20 of batteries ā€¦tired of waisting money and not getting resultsā€¦no what all new magnetsā€¦the dh Iā€™m using is z wave door/window sensor ā€¦all help is welcome

You may be running out of options. I see 1 of 2 things happening.

1. The sensors are trigging false positives. Magnet issues, or bad batch of contacts.
  2. ST is trigging false positives, based off of a response (like battery check in) or another random message

1 is tough. I would take 1 or 2 and have it in a controlled setup not on the window and see if they still trigger. Still keep the distance about the same.

2 reach out to support. Perhaps a bad DH or something else on you hub is acting up. They may be able to push an update/refresh.