[Duplicate Thread........]

Hello, we are conducting an interview study to understand how and why smart home users share their home IoT devices with people outside of their home. We are looking for participants who live in the USA , at least 18 years old and currently share one or more of their smart home devices with people who do not live in their house . Our study is approved by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte’s Institutional Review Board (IRB #19-0231).

The phone interview will be scheduled at your convenience and will take no more than 30 minutes of your time. We will ask you to take an additional survey (~10 minutes) before the interview. Your total time commitment will be approximately 45 minutes. You will receive a $12 Amazon gift card as a thank you for participating.

My name is Madiha, and I am a Ph.D. student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Your participation and inputs can really help us to move forward with this study. If you are interested, please provide your information here- https://uncccci.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0B4BwfqSlb4lpsN. If you know someone who will be interested, please share the link with them as well. We will contact after receiving your information.

Your information would be stored in a secure server and will not be shared with anyone other than the researchers of this study. All of the identifying information that you willingly give us will be removed after your interview is complete and compensation is sent. If you have additional questions regarding the study, please contact us at [mtabassu@uncc.edu], Dr. Heather Lipford, Professor, [richter@uncc.edu]. We really appreciate your help!! Thanks!!

Welcome! We have had a number of graduate students recruit study participants and survey participants in the forum, and people are often happy to be involved. :sunglasses:

However, it is important that you check with your graduate advisor, as it is almost certain that if you are at a US university your university has privacy and statement of purpose requirements which must be given to participants before they begin giving you any information.

This should normally be a link to your department’s website with its policies, and your survey should then begin from that page.

The link that you gave in your post did not include this information before it began asking questions, so most people in this forum will not participate without that. In addition, it is quite likely that your department will invalidate your study/survey if you have not provided this information to participants before they begin.

At your university, the relevant academic office is the Office of Research Compliance. However, I would contact your thesis advisor first and they can guide you in any additional departmental requirements.

https://research.uncc.edu/departments/office-research-compliance-orc/human-subjects/guidelines-research

So again, check with your thesis advisor for the university’s policies on these kind of surveys.

I’m sure once you have the appropriate information available there will be a number of people who will be interested in participating.

Submitted with respect.

(BTW, The fact that you are specifically recruiting people who provide device control to someone who does not live in the home means you are asking for information about a vector which would be a desired target of malicious hacking. That’s why it’s even more important that you have a solid privacy and participation policy available for review before participants give informed consent.)

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, we do not have such an arrangement of hosting a survey from departments’ web server. We normally host the surveys in Qualtrics from a password-protected account. I agree I should add a privacy and participation policy before the screening questions. I will update the post with our institutional review board approval number for this study and also add the policy information in the survey. Until then, I am editing the post, so no-one takes the screening survey now. I will update you once I add all the information that is needed.

2 Likes

Hey,
I have updated my post with all the information and institutional review board approval number for our study. Again, thank you for your input.

1 Like

Looks good! Good luck with your research, it sounds like an interesting topic. :sunglasses:

1 Like