Dry Contact SPDT Relay?

I’m using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017743I7S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with any controlled outlet whenever I need dry contacts. They’re well built and work good.

This is just a regular SPDT unless you could somehow turn it into a momentary SPDT.
The curtain controller posted by @coronamike50 definitely will work. Is there a working DTH for it?

What do you mean “this is”? Are you looking for something or have something and are trying to make it work? Because no such device exists to my knowledge.

So that’s weird, yesterday the link to the zwave relay controller was good, today it isn’t. I’ll see if I can figure it out later this afternoon. Also, I believe I saw that RollerTrol had a DTH for it, but I’ll have to dig into that too.

Unfortunately, RollerTrol just responded to my email that the relay controller is no longer available. Their response:

Hi Mike, thanks for your message.

That unit is unfortunately no longer available as the z-wave chip it uses has been superseded by a newer version that requires a board re-design.

We are seeking a replacement unit, but it may take a while.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Senior Partner
RollerTrol Automation Systems

@Navat604
Relay will change states and stay in that state for as long as the controlled outlet is energized. The outlet gives 120V AC that will keep this relay energized for as long as 120V AC is on, momentary or otherwise and will you dry contact.

A normal SPDT = Normally open, Normally close. This will give you ON or OFF.
A momentary SPDT = ON, Off, ON. This is what the OP is looking for to be able to press up for ON, Down for ON and off when in the center.
What @coronamike50 suggested is actually will work. Just the timing and DTH issue. Maybe Monoprice or Aeon blind controller. Firabo as well.

1 Like

If you use a NC contact.

That’s fine if you have a DTH or if you can write one.
What I really want to say is there’s more ways to skin a cat.

I agree. There’s probably a switch out there we haven’t found that will work. I couldn’t find any info on the switch you linked as a momentary SPDT switch. Since you have one. Can you confirm it’s a momentary otherwise it won’t work.

@Navat604
Here is the info on it https://www.digital-loggers.com/acspec.pdf.
As you know, a relay function is dependent of how you control its coil. This is just a simple relay in a protective enclosure. I have it plugged into a zwave outlet that gives me a 2 second pulse. Relay will stay energized for as long as voltage is applied to its coil. It’s not a pulse relay (as in timing) so it will change contacts when you apply voltage to its coil but will not change back on itself.

Guys, sorry I’ve been AWOL on this subject for a while. I had problems with the carpentry elements of the TV door lift that I mentioned in post 4 (and I got scared of the similar chandelier use-case since I don’t trust ST to stop in time without a built-in safety stop). Now I’m at least in a place to restart automation of the TV lift, so here goes…to recap: The goal is to create an ST thing that controls ON-OFF-ON, aka UP-STOP-DOWN.

Below I’ve included the manual for the motor that controls the TV lift/door. I used a 5V dual relay connected to my Konnected IOT board. See below also for my wiring diagram (sorry for the hand drawing!).

My problem is that this configuration results in two distinct ST things: (1) a “door open” thing that actuates open or stop; and (2) a “door close” thing that actuates close or stop. It works, but it’s awkward. My nerdy-ness is crying out to implement this as a DOWN-STOP-UP or an ON-OFF-ON thing. That’s the core of my question–how do I do that? I fear that I created confusion by labeling this a “SPDT relay”. Not sure of the proper terminology as I am a self-taught hack. I just thought that if, instead of a dual relay (i.e., two things in ST), I had a single thing/pole with a dual throw (on-off-on), that’d do the trick?

Appreciate any counsel from the wizards around here…

Disagreed. Actually the up/down/off blind controller is exactly what he’s asking for. This is a simple up down motorized TV lift, functionally similar to motor blinds.

The other instance he cited was chandelier list which I assume functions the same way.

This is a case of miscommunication!

Rob, I think you’re right. I have two different examples of what I think are exactly the same use case: (1) an existing motor that controls up-off-down for a vertical door covering a TV; and (2) an existing chandelier motor that controls up-off-down of the chandelier.

I’ve wired the motor through a relay via Konnected that allows me to control up and down, BUT AS TWO SEPARATE DEVICES IN ST–a up/off switch and a down/off switch, which works but it’s awkward to say the least. I want to implement the “thing” so that in ST the device shows up as an up/off/down device, not 2 switches, each with 2 states.

Clear as mud? Still not sure how to do this.

sorry to revive this threaed but i need one to turn my drobo on in case the power stays off past the ups capability . Drobos have no auto turn on and when we are gone (hopefully this year) to our summer house i have a plex server that pulls are our shows off our tivos so we dont have to get cable at the other locationi. The probly is the drobo doesnt come up if powoer of… I know there are large dry relays I used one on my garage doors but they take 120 v. which I histate to use to replace the drobo switch so I need a smaller voltate one that can work with say a 9v battery . but then again that batter may go dead but I doubt it if it is very rarely used… thanks

i think the mimo lite will work … this is what i used on our gate to close open for the fence…
9v battery has worked there for over a year