Driver Migration How To?

Can someone please point me to a document for migrating devices with custom DHTs written in groovy. In particular, I have a few devices that are not scannable (as far as I can tell), such as Insteon switches (using my on DHT). Even if I were to write a new Edge driver, how do I move the old device to the new driver, for example.

Thanks,
Jose

First step is to find an Edge driver with the device fingerprint then install that driver on your hub. Only certain devices using stock drivers are auto migrating right now. To convert others such as devices using custom DTH you would need to remove/exclude the device, remove the custom DTH from the IDE or comment out the device name and readd your device once the driver is installed. The other option is to wait for ST to migrate everything, date unknown, and see what happens.

1 Like

@Terri_Baker Thank you for your response. For the devices where I can find and edge driver from the manufacturer, how do I make it so the devices now see the new Edge driver? Do I have to wait for a migration? .

How do I “readd” a device that was added using only the IDE. In other words, it can’t be scanned…Maybe this is considered a “virtual” device?

Thanks,
Jose

If a custom edge driver is available now, you have to get a link from the author where you can subscribe to their channel. Once you do that, it will be queued up to download to your hub. That can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

Once it is available on your hub, the next time you add a device with a fingerprint that matches that custom edge driver, then the edge driver will be used.

I don’t know what happens if you have more than one custom edge driver with the same fingerprint. :thinking:

ZigBee and Z-wave

Once the driver is installed on your hub you would have to remove the device and repair it.
This will remove your automations as well. I have been swapping the device for a virtual device as a placeholder then once the device is repaired go back and swap it with the virtual placeholder. It’s a bit of work but better than recreating all my automations.

Virtual Devices
There are some amazing community members who have built virtual device drivers.

Here are a few links. You can also search virtual edge.

vEdge Creator

Virtual Things Edge Creator

Virtual Calendar

2 Likes

Usually the fastest way to find custom edge drivers is to use the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki. :sunglasses:

There’s a list there for virtual devices, for example.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Edge_Drivers

Once the driver is installed on your hub you would have to remove the device and repair it.

What do you mean by “remove and repair”? I hope you don’t mean I have to remove all my devices and re-scan them all.

Regards,
Jose

If you want to switch before the ST migration happens then Yes you will have to remove the devices and re-scan them all.

I understand that if I add a new device the driver will be available for it, but how about the existing devices? How do they migrate over?

Regards,
Jose