Door sensors - what do you do about the moulding?

So, if you’re using one of the plethora of door sensors that has a 2 blocks, one with the magnet and one with the sensor, what do you do if you have moulding around the door?

Guess it’s a dumb question, but I’m staring at my door saying “Yeah, that’s not gonna work…”

1 Like
1 Like

Stick the magnet on the woodwork and the sensor on the door. Depending upon the molding, you may need to use the spacer that comes with the sensor.

1 Like

I’m not home to take a picture but I went the opposite direction. Used one of those sticky easy removable strip stickers for sensor on door. Then took magnet out of case and glued to door as a test. Has been that way for over a week and working.

I’ll post an update with a picture when I get home.

2 Likes

Or use the new sensitive strips which are only 3 mm thick and fit in the door frame instead of on the door. They can also be painted.

http://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/sensative

So several options. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah, those little things are really nice, but at that price it’s hard for me to jump in and replace what I have. I know battery life is superb, but the price and easy pickup at Lowes for the Iris sensors is just too convenient for me.

1 Like

I tend to put the sensor on the door since its the large flat area. Then the magnet I hold up and figure out where it gets close. It isnt like aiming a laser here. Getting close is plenty enough. There’s easily 3/4" play in a sphere around the side of the sensor. So getting close works for me

I don’t have a link but what I have done on a couple doors is use rare earth magnets that I purchased at a local Michaels craft store. They are about the size and thickness of a dime and very strong. I thick them on with 3M automotive trim tape. They’ve never fallen off and are far less conspicuous.

1 Like

Here is a picture of what I did. Not a great picture but you can see the tab on the left you pull to remove the sticky tape. Magnet is glued to door frame with very small amount of glue.

The magnet is set back from the sensor but worked so I left it there. Figured I could test painting over it come day. It’s in the top left corner behind the door. You almost have to be looking for it.

2 Likes

I did the same thing. I noticed some of my switches used the super strong neodymium magnet in them like your picture and some used the cheapo much larger and weaker magnets. You can easily paint over the magnets and it blends in very well. I did the same thing for the mailbox sensor magnet because it was out of the way on the inside wall of the mailbox so it wouldn’t get knocked off by accident when delivering or retrieving the mail.

1 Like

Actually, they have a special where they throw in a motion sensor for free right now! Don’t know anything about the motion sensor, but if it’s decent, it certainly makes the price a lot more attractive!
http://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/sensative/products/sensative-z-wave-plus-strips-invisible-door-window-sensor-with-free-z-wave-plus-motion-sensor

Otherwise, yeah, a bit rich for my blood normally.

1 Like

I use a GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Door Sensor, Hinge Pin, White, 32563 … it works great.

Yeah, the sellers are buying cheap Chinese standard crap that only works with windows and doors that close evenly. STUPID! Most doors have molding (and many houses have window molding that is also recessed). The magnets in pairing are too thin. Go figure. They can’t.