Dome Water Shut Off Valve

• Tap the add device link in the mobile app to put hub into inclusion mode
  • Plug in the device
  • The blue LED on device will start blinking slowly
  • Push button 3x. (Try to get all 3 pushes in before the motor starts moving)
  • After a few seconds the LED turns solid blue.
  • Within a minute the mobile app should show that it found the device.
1 Like

@anewtoi So, as a test, I just paired my Dome Water Valve with my SmartThings v2 Hub. Here are the steps I took to get it into pairing mode:

• In the ST Classic App, Click “More” on bottom row
  • Then Click the “Hub is Online” row
  • Click “Z-Wave Utilities” at the bottom
  • Click “General Device Exclusion”
  • Click “Remove” - You will see “Exclusion Mode Active”
  • Click the Dome Valve Power button 3 times quickly
  • You should see “A device has been successfully excluded.” in the ST App
  • If you don’t see that, wait for the motor to finish moving, and try clicking the power button three more times
  • If you still have a problem clicking fast enough, get a teenager who plays video games to help click that power button! :slight_smile:
  • At this point, the blue light on the valve should be blinking on and off about once a second
  • Click “My Home” on bottom of the ST App
  • Scroll to bottom and click “+ Add a Thing”
  • The app should show “Looking for Devices”
  • Now click the power button on the Dome Valve three times quickly
  • You should see the “Dome Water Main Shut-off” device appear in the ST App
 Click Save
  • If the first 3 clicks don’t work, wait until the motor stops moving, and try again.
  • If still having trouble, go get that teenager to help you triple-click! :slight_smile:

I hope this helps.

Thanks to all who have tried to help but I have given up. I’ve tried everything you’ve mentioned over and over. In total, I’ve probably pressed this button upwards of 10000 times in all combos, speeds. I’m convinced that one of the following are true
A. I have a “newer” , “improved” version that works differently from all others
B. I have ruined the radio in the device.

I have tried 2 brand new (supposedly)units, from the same amazon seller with the same results.
I may try buying the same thing from Home Depot or Walmart but who knows.
For sure, if it’s just me doing something wrong, it should not be that complicated anyway. I’m very much technically inclined and tinkering is nothing new to me, neither is following accurate instructions
Thanks again

Hi

I have been eyeing the Dome water shut off for a while. Of course reading all this is discouraging me but the worst case I can return it. So to provide info. I have a SmartThings Hub (Hub v3 US). My main water line is plex blue tubing. The issue from what i have read in regards to the technical documentation is that I need I believe a minimum of 5 inches to attach the dome but I measured and from the center of the bolt ball valve to the elbow is about 3.5in, i will only be able to use one hose clamp. So seems like i need to do some sort of brainstorming on what I can do to install it. My other concern the hose clamp will be on the plex tubing and is that a problem

Any idea / recommendation is greatly appreciated

Thanks

RB

The 3.5inches might be an issue. I don’t think you can get away without two anchors. You may be able to connect the first anchor point to the tubing as per usual, but it might require a custom wood spacer mounted to the rafter or backboard near your valve or something similar. Regarding connecting it to Plex blue tubing, it’s not an issue. I’ve got mine hooked to Plex blue tubing and it works well.

I have a lot of clearance so that is not an issue other than the length requirement. One idea i was thinking is to get like lets say 6 to 7 in long PVC pipe with an diameter slightly more than the pex tubing and use it to cover the pex tubing which then will give me extended length beyond the corner.

Can someone tell me what are the location dimension of the hose clamps and what is the spacing between the hose clamps. I am trying to determine where will they ed to be connected on the pex tubing from the center of the bolt of the ball valve

The blue dimension (i.e., mounting bracket where it touches the pipe/tube) is 2.5"
The red dimension (i.e., outside width of the hose clamps) is 1.75"

thank you lflorack,
So the first hose clamp will be at a 2.5in and the second hose clamp at 4.25in which is the one that i need to rig something to accommodate for it

So I installed the Dome and my luck the second clamp hose is on the corner of the pex tubing. So for the time being I used 2 zip ties instead of the 2nd hose clamp. It works but I need something stronger than zip-ties I used for the long term.

Any ideas

Thanks

I installed my Dome Water Main Shut-off Valve over the weekend. My Pressure Reducing Valve failed and while I was replacing that it was a good time to replace the old gate style valve with a 1/4 turn ball valve, I also added pressure gauges on either side of the PRV to make it easier to detect any future failure. With the 1/4 turn ball valve I could now install the Dome Water Shut off. I read through many of the posts before doing the installation and I want to thank you all for all of the pieces of advice. Like several people, I had the issue when closing the valve that the motor wanted to go beyond 90 degrees and it would not stop running. I solve this by making the contact point with the handle a bit wider using the 4 screws on top. This means there is a bit of delay when the closing action starts, but overall it still functions great. I was able to use the link to load the device handler and the connection to SmartThings was a breeze. My only issue was that it did not select the Dome Device Handler by default, so I had to go into IDE and change it. I have 7 HomeSeer LS100+ Leak Sensors throughout the house that we already connected to the Smart Home Monitor, so adding in the Dome valve to the automation was not an issue. any water leak now sends me a notification, closes the valve and sounds an alarm. I have included some pictures of my installation.

Now to my question, I have seen some posts about a piston in WebCoRE to “exercise” the valve on a regular basis. I am fairly new to this stuff and have not been very familiar with WebCoRE. I would like to create something that closes the valve at around 2:00 AM once a month, verifies that it is closed, opens the valve, verifies that it is reporting open and then notifies me that the test is complete. I have followed the instructions to load WebCoRE and created a simple instruction to close the valve at 2:00 AM on the 23rd of the month, but I didn’t know how to do the rest of the instructions. Can anyone point me in a good directions, I know there is a ton of stuff out there on WebCoRE, but I can’t go through it all right now.

Ramez,
I know you posted this almost a year ago, so you may have already found a solution or the one you created is working fine, but in looking at your pictures again, I came up with an idea.

Most of the ball valves will allow you to flip the handle to the other side. You would need to remove teh Dome and then the nut on the top of the valve. If you flip the handle then it would be over the blue PEX. This would mean that your cable clamps would go over the copper pipe and the pipe support. This might allow you to connect both clamps. Just a thought if you are not happy with the way it is currently functioning.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!! This worked perfectly. Only diff is I had to run the exclusion from the ide. THANKS, was going nuts trying to re-pair this guy at my new home

1 Like

Did you ever work out how to get the ST water leak sensors to trigger the dome shut off valve when offline?

I have it set up in SHM, which I thought would work locally, but I am having no luck when I shut down the internet.

One thing is odd though, when my home is offline, and I trigger the ST water leak sensors, nothing happens, but when I take the house back online every instance where I triggered the sensor when it was offline all the sudden fires and runs the SHM automation I set up to close the valve and send a notification.

Are you using the Classic app or new app SHM/STHM?

If you look at the my devices page of the IDE, is the Execution Location “local” for all the devices being used in that SmartApp/automation?