Dome Water Shut Off Valve

How close is the Dome Valve to the ST Hub when you are trying to pair it? Sometimes moving it to the same room can help improve the process.

I’ve tried all ranges of distance. But again, shouldn’t it go into pair mode if I was on mars and the hub is on Jupiter

Have you rebooted the hub?

Have you tried these instructions? Of course, the hub in the video is not SmartThings…but that’s a simple change. I am just brainstorming trying to help.

Yes I have rebooted the hub even considered purchasing a v3 hub. But again , hub aside, IDE aside-the dome unit should go into pair mode EVEN without a hub. Meaning the lights should stop blinking when in pair mode

Thanks dan. I had Previously had not trying that method but still no luck. I think that video process was generically made. The lights aren’t ever blinking in the video. ie… it’s already paired

Yea, I was hoping that maybe a brand new Dome valve is “ready to pair” out of the box. You could try to perform a General Exclusion on the Dome Valve via the ST App. This would help to make sure the Valve is in the correct state for pairing.

I just thought of something. Not sure if this will work but If someone that has this dome shut off valve could take a look at the Samsung IDE page and check the device network Id. I’m thinking maybe I can for include a device by clicking the +new device tab and entering the necessary info. Thanks!!

That won’t work. The hub assigns the network ID. Have you tried an exclusion? Is the hub blinking a green light when pairing?

Yeah I found that out. Tried disconnected a sensor and trying to force pair it. No boino!! Exclusion from the hub side appears to need the dome to be in pair mode. The green light does not blink while trying to pair but then again it doesn’t blink while successfully pairing other devices either

You have to push the button 3 times really really fast…

1 Like

The Exclusion command is general, i.e., it’ll try to exclude anything whether the device is paired or not paired … you just have to push the button three times really really fast :smile: (as Kevin stated) …

Kevin, dumb question but I’ll ask anyway. You, yourself have been successful in 3 presses really fast or are you going by references?
Also is everyone purchasing from amazon sellers “jrsourcing” or “smarthouse”?
Also, is there anything else to the process, like unplugging for ___ seconds, then waiting for ___ seconds, then pressing ___ times?
I’m at a loss!:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

I worked with the manufacturer to write the official handlers for their entire product line. Most of their devices use the triple-click technique for inclusion and exclusion and I struggled with some of them until I figured out that the clicks/pushes often needed to be really fast.

The water shut-off was one of the ones that had to be really fast. You basically have to push it 3 times before the motor starts moving.

If the led turns solid, but the mobile app hasn’t showed that it’s found any devices, check the device list in the IDE because it’s possible that device was successfully joined.

I get most of my stuff from The Smartest House

1 Like

Ok, it’s never shown up in the devices list. I’ve copied, pasted, published your code to me. It’s shows published under my device handlers but never has shown in my devices. Think that’s where the hiccup is? The only time it lists under my devices is if I click +new device and input info. But then it’s not actually connected

I only mentioned that in case you were having the same problem that I sometimes run into, but it doesn’t sound like it. Every once on the Android mobile app I go to add or remove a device and nothing happens, but after closing out of the add/remove screen I find that the device was successfully added/removed. Going into the app settings on my phone and clearing the data usually fixes it.

Have you gone into the hub utilities, started a z-wave exclude, and then quickly pushed the button 3 times to ensure the device is excluded?

I have done this through both iOS versions. Only spins for seems like 5 min and then says something to the effect of “no devices found”

FWIW - the only way I found to get a really reliable pairing was to get a really long cat5 cable - temporarily move my v2 hub down to the basement right next to where dome was installed, do an exclude then pair. I then put a z-wave repeater (an Inovelli plug) next to it once I’d moved my hub back to its regular location. Then did a z-wave repair so it would connect to the repeater. Been rock solid since.

I don’t usually need go to these extremes. On the other hand I don’t have as strong a z-wave mesh as my Zigbee (only a few Z-wave devices). I consider the Dome important enough to get its own repeater (my two Z-wave locks also have “dedicated” repeaters).

Good luck!

Thanks for chiming in Alec. Could you (or anyone else for that matter) describe your pairing process. Please be very specific. That’s where my issue is. Everything from powering on, light status, amount of button presses with what estimated time. What was the light status after being in pair mode

Wish I could - but it’s been a few months. After going through exclusion I started by starting the “add things” process (I also had my computer w/ me so I could look at live logging in the IDE). I did three times fast push - I knew I had success when it was recognized as a Dome in SmartThings (and I saw the discovery in the IDE). I don’t remember what happened with the lights. Sorry I can’t be more specific!

Again, the hub was very close to the Dome.

[Edited - at first I thought i remember doing more than 3 pushes - but in retrospect it was just the three pushes as fast as I could]

Alec