Does ST support WeMo Crock-Pot and quite old tv? (DTH for crockpot in post 7)

Hi guys, several months ago I bought a Wemo Crock-Pot and start to get crazy around home automation. I am planning to automate my entire house. It has 4 air conditions, 16 light switches, 2 led tv (non smart tv, but I heard some hubs can receive IR and/or RF, but I am not sure if ST can do this???). But most importantly, can ST support my beloved crock-pot. I can no longer live without it.

btw I have not decide on which “smart” switches that I will use. Recommendation always welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks

Is this the “WeMo Slow Cooker”? If so, it has an IFTTT channel and so does smartthings, so you can get some indirect integration that way.

As far as your television, the main way that most people integrate smartthings with a television is by using the Logitech Harmony home hub. This typically costs about $99 for the device, or around $130 for the hub and the button remote. (Smartthings hub itself does not have an infrared transmitter but it can talk to harmony hub and the harmony hub can talk to the television. ) this is an old article about the harmony, so some of the details of change, but it will give you an idea. (Note that while the ST/Harmony integration is very good about turning on the television to a specific channel, turning it off again, and switching to a different input like an Xbox or a Roku, the SmartThings/harmony integration is not great at doing things like changing the volume or channel surfing.)

It can also probably be done with a global cachet infrared transmitter, but that is a more complex integration.

Thank you for your reply.

first and foremost, yes it is the wemo slow cooker. What is this IFTTT channel are you talking about? am i required to add a new device to get the IFTTT channel? is there any guide how to integrate my clow cooker and ST?

Honestly, I do not get the idea behind using an extra logitech harmony home hub. If I can use the logitech hub, I do think I will need the ST anymore right? or is there any advantage of using 2 hubs in the same house?

Ifttt is a free web service. It lets you set up “recipe” in the “If This, then that” format. So if wemo cooker is done, then have SmartThings turn on a light. Or whatever. It’s a way for two automation systems that both use the Internet to be able to talk to each other.

The Logitech Harmony home hub is primarily for audio visual devices. Its button remote is a universal home theatre remote, one of the best. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and IR.

The SmartThings hub is for home automation. It supports Zigbee, Zwave, and A direct Internet connection over ethernet.

So you can see they don’t talk to the same devices because they support different protocols. But they can talk to each other using the Internet. So they actually complement each other very well.

Usual example is if you want to walk into the room and have a motion sensor turn on your television. Or if you want to push a button on your TV remote for “movie time” and have the television come on and the lights go down at the same time. Smartthings can talk to the motion sensor. Harmony can talk to the TV.

About now you are probably thinking, well why can’t I buy one hub that can talk to everything? And there are two answers to that. One is an engineering issue. The more different protocols you put into one box the more difficult it is to keep them from interfering with each other. It’s the reason why microwave ovens don’t play music. One protocol can drown out another. (This is also why a smart phone doesn’t just talk to all these different devices. It just gets really tricky as you put more and more wireless communication protocols physically close together.)

The second answer has to do with pricing. The more radios in one hub, the more expensive that hub becomes. Most companies have found that it is better to specialize and keep the price at the hub lower. It is rare to find a hub with more than four protocols.

This is a good introduction to IFTTT:

I see. one last question, how hard is the IFTTT programming? Is it require some sophisticate background in programming to do it?

It’s not officially supported, but here’s the device type and smart app I built for mine

2 Likes

IFTTT requires no programming knowledge.

Each supported item has a set list of commands they can use either as a Trigger (the IF THIS part of a recipe) or an Action (the THEN part of the recipe). Note that not all items have both triggers and actions.

For your Wemo Slow Cooker, it has 2 Triggers:

WeMo Slow Cooker Triggers
Cook timer finished
This Trigger fires every time your cook timer has finished.
Trigger fields
Which device?

Cooking mode changed
This Trigger fires every time your Slow Cooker cooking mode changes (High, Low, Keep Warm, Off).
Trigger fields
Which device?
Which cooking mode?

You would set up the recipe and only have to answer the question there. For the “Cook Timer Finished” one, you would just need to select which Slow Cooker you want it to look at (as you can have multiple ones connected).

For Actions, the Wemo Slow Cooker supports these:

WeMo Slow Cooker Actions
Adjust cooking mode
This Action will adjust your Slow Cooker to your specified cooking mode (High, Low, Keep Warm, Off).
Action fields
Which device?
What cooking mode?

Set cook timer and mode
This Action will adjust your Slow Cooker to your specified cooking mode (High, Low, Keep Warm, Off) for a selected time period.
Action fields
Which device?
Which cooking mode?
Cook Time (in minutes)

You can then connect this to the SmartThings channel and use it to have a light come on or change color when your slow cooker is finished (or any other type of notification you’d like from SmartThings).

So, basically in IFTTT I can do something like:
Trigger: Cooking mode changed
Action: Adjust cooking mode

or

Trigger: Cook timer finished
Action: Set cook timer and mode

As for the latter, is it possible to make a special case for repeated action. For example:
Cooking finish -> (set cooking mode to warm for 30 min) —{after 30min}—>(set cooking mode to warm for another 30min)

Previously I have to increase the timer manual.

Thanks a lot for your code.
although your code looks extremely complicated to me, is it possible to install your code to my hub? how?

You can also link those Triggers with Actions from another channel.

For example, I have a recipe set up that if my Amazon Echo timer goes off, it will blink one of my Philips Hue light bulbs to get my attention.

For your request, I think it would be possible using a community created SmartApp like CORE where you would set up a virtual switch that would keep resetting every 30 minutes until the Wemo Slow Cooker mode is turned to OFF.

I see. Thank you so much

Hey there,

I have a Wemo Crock Pot on the way and wanted to see if I could get this integrated into my system when it arrives. When I add your device type, I’m getting a java.lang.NullPointerException error. Weird thing is that when I go to save the device type, it doesn’t tell me which line is throwing the error.

Wondering if you’ve seen this issue before.

Thanks!
Christopher

I had that issue at one point too. If I remember correctly, the fix was to not use the create from code and instead start like you’re creating a new device type and then copy/paste it in

Hi,

I’ve added the DH and App you’ve provided to my IDE and published but I cant seem to discover the slow cooker in Smartthings. Can you advise how I should try to discover in ‘add things’?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Is it connected to your network and working via the WeMo app? If it is, after you publish, you add the app from my apps and it will discover the crockpot and add the DH

I know this thread is old, but I just installed kevintierney’s device type and smartapp for the wemo crock pot (that I got as a gift). I was so unimpressed by the wemo app - it barely worked at all. And because it kept freezing and crashing I couldn’t get alexa integration to work. Thank you so much for putting this custom device type together. It works so much better and saved me so much time hacking my way through it on my own.

very much appreciated.

1 Like

Hello,

How did you get the device handler entered? Every way I’ve tried results in the java.lang.NullPointerExecption.

Thanks!