Docs Updates

It’s Friday, woot!

Oh, and we updated some docs this week. Some of the more notable additions:

• Documented new Notification capability
  • Added docs for working with Modes
  • Added docs for working with hello home phrases
  • Updated fingerprinting docs to include manufacturer name/model when possible

And don’t forget to take our docs survey if you haven’t yet - survey closes tonight at midnight!!

4 Likes

Is this a new Capability?

Any examples?

Thanks, Jim!!!

These were definitely needed. Glad to see them added

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for new capabilities, especially this one!!

This is a new capability. We don’t have have any usages of this capability at this time as reference, but we will be working to add some. Full disclosure, it may be a bit until that happens, what with some people thinking they can take vacations in the summer. Pfffft. :slight_smile:

I would love to see a way to trigger apps by subscribing to helloHome actions! I know I can do a work around and use virtual switches… but it is indeed a pain… :confused:

1 Like

It’s a weird oversight, but consistent if you note that SmartApps can’t call other SmartApps either (well, without a REST-API call, which is a little weird).

Use of mode or Virtual Devices continues to be appropriate workaround, for better or worse. Might not be so bad if we could spin up Virtual Switches on the fly.

If the scheduler worked properly you could just poll for changes in mode every x minutes and rhe n trigger something off that.

Not ideal.

You can subscribe to mode changes but I don’t think it triggers on actions that don’t change the mode.

// subscribe to all state change events for the installed SmartApps location
subscribe(location, handlerMethod)
1 Like

That’s correct. Mode is an excellent Event subscription if you’re willing to give up using Mode for everything but Hello Home Actions.

I have a virtual switch template thats easy enough deploy… so its not too bad… it would just be nice :confused:

1 Like

Hi @tgauchat, just came back :smile:
I added this capability to be able to target devices with as the name implies notification capabilities.
I don’t have an example yet because this was deployed just when I left but the idea is to add the capability to the device type and define the command deviceNotification like this:

def deviceNotification(text) {
// display notification on device
}

Then apps with notifications will show all this devices as options to output notifications.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks.

I believe this is one of the Capability Types we requested in the Capability Category on the Forum… I’ll look it up.

It would be great if you guys would cross reference and keep an eye out on the New Capability Types discussion Category!

In short, though, this Capability should be used for cloud based notification services (email, SMS, Pushbullet, etc.!).