After reading threads here about different solutions I decided I want to build motorized shades myself. However, before I order bunch of stuff, I wanted to summarize my findings and ask for your opinion.
First, my requirements:
- I need a remote controller to open/close/set at %.
- I need a way to control it from Alexa/Phone (basically get it on ST app) and also be able to open/close/set at the desired position. It could be combination of open + few seconds + stop call.
- I have wiring done already, so I don’t need batteries based solutions.
- To connect with ST, I am planning to use:
- MIMOLite. Instructions I got from Fortrezz:
- Qubino: http://qubino.com/products/flush-shutter-dc/
Did anyone tried the MIMOLite and can confirm it’s fine to control shades? It opens garage door so I expect it should work.
- Motor for shades (also called tubular motor)
This is the hardest and I am hoping you can advise. Smofy is tempting but very expensive. On Amazon I see many options like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Rollerhouse-Electric-Tubular-Hard-Wired-Switching/dp/B07F1MRKHW/. On AliExpress it’s even cheaper but I don’t want to burn down the house. Unless someone have good recommendations.
There are also options with IR/RF signal like this: https://www.amazon.com/MorningRising-Electric-Roller-Tubular-Controller/dp/B01DZQ43AI/ but then I need to invest in BroadLink New RM and it won’t be z-wave based.
Z-wave remote controller
This one looks awesome: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-WallMote-Z-Wave-wireless-control/dp/B01NCEJAOD but it’s not so intuitive for shades. This one looks like calculator: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Z-Wave-Wireless-Lighting-Control/dp/B003OUWABK Are there any better options?
I am the least worried about it. I will probably get some stuff from HomeDepot or online.
So, if you think some of this stuff doesn’t make sense, please let me know. If you have better recommendations, also let me know. I will update the thread once I get first setup.
*I don’t have any connections to the products mentioned above. It’s just based on my research in the last few days.
Thanks in advance!