Dimmest Smart Bulb

I’m looking for the dimmest bulb in the box :grin: I’m trying to slowly dim up a lamp from 1% in the morning. The bulbs I have now (Sylvania Lightfy basic on/off/dim) are pretty bright at 1%. I also tried out GoControl LB60Z-1 which also doesn’t go very dim and flickers at low levels. I found a thread with a great explanation from @JDRoberts explaining how dimmable LEDs work, but unfortunately can’t find the exact thread again after searching for a while. From what I recall, it all depends on the LED driver inside the bulb.

I’d prefer a Zigbee or Z-Wave bulb, but if a pocket socket type dimmer with a standard dimmable LED bulb would give better results, I’m open to it. Seems like there should be a good option though with all the different brands on the market (Sylvania, Cree, GE, Phillips Hue).

Thanks for any advice!

(Larry) #2

i have the lightify white color control and use one in a bedroom lamp… dont know about 1% but even at 10% it is pretty dim…

I use Cree and it seems pretty dim at 1%.

If your eyes are used to very/total darkness such as just waking up in a dark room, any bulb will initially seem bright. Maybe you could have a the lamp placed farther away so that less light will shine towards you at when you 1st see it and your eyes adjust to light.

(Dan Fox) #4

I have a Lightify Color temperature bulb. It gets a lot dimmer than the standard dimmer bulb. Especially if you set the temperature low, like 2400.

That’s another thing that might help to get lower light levels. Get a color bulb and change it to red. That color will appear dimmer on 1% than white will.

(Ray) #6

I agree with this one. I use Hue and change to something warmer for lower dim.

In general, the white only smart bulbs will dim lower than the RGBW models in the same line, but the suggestion to use red is also good. :sunglasses:

http://www.muada.com/2016/07-14-hue-white-ambiance-dims-all-the-way-to-1.html

Without pulling out a light meter, I might eventually, out of TP-Link, sengled, enbrighten.

Sengled is by far the brightest on 1% and it’s comparable to TP-Link 18%.

Enbrighten and TP-Link are near identical to the eye across the brightness range. The enbrighten does use more standby power due to the zwave repeater, I assume. The TP-Link uses about a half watt and the enbrighten uses closer to 1-1.1 watts standby.