Devices randomly switch On / Off after 0.45.9 Hub upgrade

Hello,

I have always been very happy with the reliability of Samsung SmartThings. I’ve had the 45.9 update since Monday (firmware-version according to the app: 000.045.00009) and since then, devices in my apartment have been switching on and off randomly. Affected here are 4 devices in the extreme. A Zigbee LED Driver simply switches on every 2 hours. Two sockets simply switches itself off several times a day. Another socket switches itself on and off again immediately (i just hear the “click click” noise from this socket). The log at graph.api.smartthings.com doesn’t give much information either. Does anyone have a similar issue or know how to debug/fix this issue?

Hello
I’m noticing also a ghost motion sensor activities from monday but only on one senzor - Sonoff. Up to monday everything was fine.

Using edge driver from [YG].

Anyone has any info on this?

I don’t know if it’s the same issue, but you might check out the following:

3 Likes

Thanks for this suggest. I’ve changed my ZigBee Channel to 24 and give this a try. I will report if my plugs and LEDs are now fully under my control again :slight_smile:

1 Like

This solved my problem! I’ve switched to 18, because one device wont connect on channel 24, but now everything’s works fine again! Thanks @JDRoberts :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for the tip I’ve been experiencing the same exact random lights powering on since the last firmware update that supports matter. It’s extremely annoying when this happens in the middle of the night and you have glaring lights in your face while you’re trying to sleep. I just changed my zigbee hub channel from 25 to 24 I pray that this will resolve the issue. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since the firmware update cause the random light power ons.

ST will start pushing out firmware (45.11) today that should address the issue:

Scheduled Maintenance

Aeotec Smart Home Hub, SmartThings Hub 2015 (v2), and SmartThings Hub 2018 (v3) Firmware Hotfix Oct 31, 2022 15:00 - Nov 4, 2022 00:00 UTC

Hub firmware hotfix version 0.45.11 will be released to the following Hub models starting *Monday, October 31, 2022:

- Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
- Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)
- Aeotec Smart Home Hub

Your Hub will briefly go offline as it reboots and applies the update; most users will experience less than one minute of downtime. Visit the SmartThings Community (Here) for more information. We will update the status page once the release has been completed.

*Note that we may release this hotfix earlier than the above date to hubs that we have identified as experiencing degraded performance which is expected to be resolved with this release.
Posted on Oct 28, 2022 - 17:43 UTC

2 Likes

My hub received the update to 45.11 and I still had a few lights randomly turn on. I also changed the channel to 24 from channel 25 this morning before the hub firmware update and was still seeing the sporadic lights coming on. So it doesn’t look like the channel change or the firmware update has resolved the issue for me.

Sorry to hear you’re still having issues. Could you DM me the details of your issue including your Hub ID, which devices are not working correctly, and the approximate times when the issues have occurred?

Also, could you allow access to investigate your logs? Here are the instructions:

1. Go to SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com )
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select the Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and choose Confirm

I have sonoff zbmini and it for last few days it randomly on and off

Anyone know the reason? And how to fix it? Even after hub update 45.11

The random power on\off bug was introduced with hub firmware .45.9 it hasn’t been fixed in version .45.11. I’m having the same problems with all of my lights powering on randomly since .45.9 was released. Put in a support ticket with SmartThings, the more people that do that will hopefully force them to acknowledge that it is caused by thier firmware.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue with a sonoff ZBMINI. It consistently toggles by itself every 2 - 3 Minutes. Did you find a solution? Changing the zigbee channel did not help me either.

I would like to send you the details, but I am new here and I cannot find any option to send a DM visiting your profile. How can I do it?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

1 Like

Awesome!! That seems to be working! Did you create this driver because you were encountering problems with the standard zigbee switch driver? May I ask how the “Random On Off 2” feature work? Is it a 10 min ON per day?

In any case, really, thanks a lot! It really gave me a solution I wasn’t expecting to find any time soon!!

I just found the information on Github. Great stuff. Thanks again!

@Mariano_Colmenarejo is the developer of this driver. He modified the beta stock driver to get the ZBMINI working for me. All I did was some testing and sent him the logs. He has a lot of good Drivers.

If you have questions you can tag him.

3 Likes

HI @raekaf

The capability random on off 2 label is displayed incorrectly.
It should show the Timer Mode label.

You can choose between mode:

• Random: random on and off between the minimum and maximum times between 0.5 and 60 minutes, chosen in preferences
  • Program: it is chosen in preferences on and off with fixed times for On and Off between 1 and 600 minutes.
1 Like

Thanks, @Mariano_Colmenarejo. Really nice work!

In my case I have noticed issues with Z-Wave. The range seems to be affected or mesh not working properly as devices further away from the hub are not connecting. Did a factory reset and reconnected everything and problem persists.

1 Like

I came here to post that I have a similar problem in 2024 with the Aeotec Smart Switch 7 + Aeotec smart home hub. I have 2x of the smart switches and they go through an “off->on” cycle every 1-2 days. I literally can hear the relay click twice in fast succession, which interrupts power. The device history/logs does not show that the device ever turned off or on during this time. While I also have an older Vera system with a dozen or so older-gen (gen 6 and older) Aeotec Z-Wave switches that has no issues, both the Aeotec hub & Smart Switch 7 hardware is fairly new to me, so I’m not sure which is at fault.

The hub is running 51.00002 and the smart switch 7 stock driver is the 2024-01-30 version.