Device Health Reliability plummeted [September 2018]

I am seeing the same, incorrect status of devices offline and live logging not logging anything at all. I just spent the past hour thinking it was something wrong on my end.

I like how Alexa turns the light on but then says the device isn’t responding.

Yeah something isn’t right. One of my devices marked offline is my front door lock. Check interval is 3600 seconds in the ide (60 minutes). Yet the device says it had activity two minutes ago. Well within 60 minutes.

1 Like

Same with a bunch of my GE switches. Interesting enough, Z-Wave repair doesn’t think they are failed.

My (Yale) lock also intermittently shows as being offline the past 3 days.

Interesting enough, none of the “offline” devices showing in ide/classic are offline in the new app. @Automated_House ?

1 Like

@HA_fanatic

I noticed this also. Does the new app even have device health status?

I am not that familiar with the new app. Just noticed that there are no red dots or any indication for the same devices that show offline in the classic app.

Same here. About 4 GE Z wave light switches that all came back with a “refresh” button press and a couple ZigBee leak sensors that didn’t and haven’t manually intervened yet.

Everything seems to be working again for me

I don’t understand why anyone uses “Device Health”. I have yet to read any posts anywhere that say it is helpful

My system is 100% stable (i.e., no more outages or response issues than usual). There was a brief outage last week, and a brief period when response to triggers (e.g., contact or motion turning on a light) was “many” seconds, compared to “few or less” seconds.

1 Like

Is not about using or not using the device health. I could care less if it says that device is unavailable in the app (I rarely use the mobile app anyway) although it’s a nice feature to have. The problem is what gets marked as “offline” in ide, which other services rely on, like Alexa for example - who wants to hear that device is unavailable because it was incorrectly marked as offline…

Yes it does and it used to match what was marked offline in the Classic app/ide.

1 Like

So… forgive my ignorance… (I’m on a Hub V1 and never have any offline devices)…

Isn’t this “offline marking behavior” disabled when you disable “Device Health Check”?

1 Like

Ha! You might be right on that. I guess I never had a need to disable it before because it was just working. Fortunately, I cannot confirm your theory because I woke up this morning and magically had no “offline” devices. The next time this happens I will sure be testing this :wink:

1 Like

I was getting device not responding errors in alexa not due to device health, but due to the bug over the weekend where no devices were updating status correctly

2 Likes

Not necessarily. I have had “Device Health Check" disabled almost since it was introduced and I have good Zigbee and Z-Wave meshes. However, over the last 3-4 days, there has been constant notifications of rotating devices not responding - both Z-Wave and Zigbee. Despite them dropping off and popping back online repeatedly and randomly - both device-wise and timing-wise, none of them were ever actually inaccessible.

Then earlier today, without changing anything, all is calm and I’m no longer getting notifications - just like it’s been for many months.

1 Like

what are you getting notifications from? I’m never received a notification from the app when something gets marked unavailable and i have device health turned on.

I think they’re coming from ‘Device Monitor’ - but I guess they could also be coming from ‘Simple Device Viewer’.

@tgauchat

Device health lets me know when battery powered devices are unavailable because the battery is dead.

When working device health is a good thing!

Sure… but this is a “cry wolf” situation. If ST marks things offline too aggressively, then it is a useless feature.

The Community SmartApp for this is much more flexible, I think.